Word Association

nsentv

What's the First Thing You Think When You See Phil Jackson?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hes a very good choach but before I bestow legend on him I want to see him build a team from scratch, had he taken the Knicks job this year and started from nothing I would have more respect then coaching one of teh leagues best players every time.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Yeah, so how many championships did the Bulls win without Phil...0

Yeah, so how many championships did the Lakers win with Kobe and Shaq before Phil got there...0

How many rings has Phil Jackson won? 9

9 is better than 0. Oh, right...he's WAAAY overrated.

Stop hating, he's an all-time great. At least he hono(u)rs his contracts. But I guess it's okay for coaches to hop around like a street-corner hooker, huh...(yes, I'm looking at YOU, Larry Brown)

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Phil Jackson is definitely a legend here in North Dakota.

He led Williston High School to the 1963 state Class A basketball title.

He led the University of North Dakota to the NCAA Division II tournament in, I believe, 1967.

He went on to play for the New York Knicks and was no slouch. No superstar, but definitely no slouch.

He coached the Albany Patroons to a CBA title.

Oh, and then there's his NBA coaching record, which isn't too shabby, either.

He's also been inducted into the North Dakota Rough Rider Hall of Fame, the highest honor to go to a North Dakotan.

Say what you want about Phil Jackson being lucky to have coached great players. But sometimes there's a little more to it than that. Phil Jackson has been a winner from at least the time he was in high school. That's the secret to his success -- he knows how to win. (By the way, count the number of NBA titles MJ or Shaq had before Phil Jackson was their head coach.)

Yep, Phil Jackson is a lucky guy. And anyone in here would wish we could have that kind of luck.

if he could take the raptors or say the bucks to an nba title, i'd give the man his props. but until he takes a team that doesn't have one superstar already rooted in it, he's an opportunist.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

9 is better than 0. Oh, right...he's WAAAY overrated.

So, it was his overwhelming genius that won each of those 9 titles, eh? I mean, it had to be him that led Jordan, Pippen & co. to 6 titles, right? Not just anyone could take 2 of the 5 best players in the league at that time and won it all?

And I'd guess you could say the same about the Shaq & Kobe Lakers - you're given the 2 most dominant players in the league, and that means less than his coaching skill? A lot of "lesser" coaches could have squeaked out a title or two with those squads, it wasn't necessarily him.

I'm not saying he's not a good coach. But let's not cast his statue in bronze just yet and call him a legend for being fortunate enough to coach the best players in the league, usually in tandem. Few teams have even 1 superstar; before now, he never had fewer than 2. Take over a borderline team, make them great, and I'll be the first to sing his praises.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived