Logo Athletic-Puma-Reebok

brinkeguthrie

I seem to remember that Logo Athletic had a license to put their name on jerseys and caps. Then Puma came along and snatched up Logo Athletic, and that's hopw Puma got the NFL license for those items..even tho you couldnt and still cant wear Pumas in a game.

So I was in Target today and they sell Logo Athletic sneakers and the box says 'a Reebok company,' (which is now an Adidas company.)

Got all that?

Also:

Did Nike buy Starter?

I think Reebok bought the licensing for Logo Athletic, not Puma. I don't remember how Puma suddenly became a sponsor for the NFL, I think it was a resurgence in recognition due to the World Cup and other soccer affiliations.

Nike owns the licensing rights to Starter. And Converse. I think Starter markets the Shaq brand (Dunkman?) currently sold at Payless Shoe Source.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

So we've got Nike/Starter/Converse, and Adidas/Reebok/CCM/Koho/Jofa/Puma/LogoAthletic.

Sheesh, this is as bad as banks and phone companies. Anyone care to consult "oligopoly" in their Funk & Wagnalls?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So we've got Nike/Starter/Converse, and Adidas/Reebok/CCM/Koho/Jofa/Puma/LogoAthletic.

Sheesh, this is as bad as banks and phone companies. Anyone care to consult "oligopoly" in their Funk & Wagnalls?

Puma does not belong to adidas. Puma is it's own entity. It would be somewhat interesting if Puma did belong to adidas consider how puma was founded

I saw, I came, I left.

I've seen Starter all over places like K-Mart. I dunno who owns them now, but I can't believe how long it's already been since I was rocking a $150 Starter jacket to middle school.

shoot, I remember those-my uncle had sent me a Bears jacket while in Korea, and one of my cousins had himself a Suns jacket in the same style (oddly enough, it had the then-new logo on the back but the old wordmark on the front pouch flap)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Also, Puma could have been and was worn on the field by a few teams before Reebok took over the league. I know the Rams wore Puma in at least '99 and '00. (I said I know, but really I just think, lol.)

I remember looking at the 'Puma-designated' teams- if you looked closely, the "L" was cut off the jersey and replaced by 'Puma.' Funny when you consider Puma wnated their name on field but the players couldn't wear their shoes. Back in the late 60s all anyone wore was Riddell shoes..then in 1970-71 adidas and puma arrived and that's all anyone wore.

The league assigned teams to partuclar suppliers, like Starter, Russell, Champion, Wilson (!), Apex, and then Nike Reebok Adidas. My friend who works for the bengals used to moan to me "We always get stuck with Champion. We wanna be a Nike team!"

Also, Puma could have been and was worn on the field by a few teams before Reebok took over the league. I know the Rams wore Puma in at least '99 and '00. (I said I know, but really I just think, lol.)

The Patriots definitely did - I have a new-style Bledsoe replica that's a Puma. I think I got it in 2000 or 2001.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

The Patriots definitely did - I have a new-style Bledsoe replica that's a Puma. I think I got it in 2000 or 2001.

I was thinking the Pats, but I seem to remember them in Addidas. Did they where both Puma at one point and Adidas at one point before the whole switch to Reebok?

I think you're wrong about the Patriots with Puma. One the mfg logos started appearing on the uniforms, I only remember the Patriots wearing Starter, Wilson, Adidas, Reebok.

Pumamay have made replica jerseys for the whole league, even if they weren't the sole sponsor, same as Nike and Champion had done in the past. I have a Puma Buccaneers jersey, but Tampa was a Puma team back then.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I was thinking the Pats, but I seem to remember them in Addidas. Did they where both Puma at one point and Adidas at one point before the whole switch to Reebok?

Back in the good old days of multiple licensees, teams would have an official supplier for on-field uniforms, and the other licensees could make replicas with their brand on the sleeve.

In the quoted example, there very well could be Puma Patriots gear out there. However, on the field, the jerseys were adidas.

Off the top of my head, here's what I remember from the 2000 season:

Arizona: Puma

Atlanta: Nike

Baltimore: Nike

Buffalo: Puma

Carolina: Nike

Chicago: Nike

Cincinnati: Puma

Cleveland: Puma

Dallas: Nike

Denver: Nike

Detroit: Puma

Green Bay: Nike

Houston: (not a team yet)

Indianapolis: Puma

Jacksonville: Puma

Kansas City: Puma

Miami: Nike

Minnesota: Puma

New England: adidas

New Orleans: Puma

New York Giants: Puma

New York Jets: Nike

Oakland: Nike

Philadelphia: Puma

Pittsburgh: Nike

St. Louis: Puma

San Diego: adidas

San Francisco: adidas

Seattle: Puma

Tampa Bay: adidas

Tennessee: Puma

Washington: adidas

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Yeah the replica jerseys were made by all companies...heck, I have a Nike Patriots (new style) Bledsoe jersey, and I do remember there being Nike Patriot replicas of the "Elvis on the shoulder" jerseys. I also own a Puma Patriots jersey of everyone's favorite 3rd string QB on the Pats roster at the time - Michael Bishop. The multiple manufacterers were cool because some made other players (Champion made a Kevin Faulk replica when Starter didn't) and such.

Ahhh, the old days...where competition was a great thing.

Yeah the replica jerseys were made by all companies...heck, I have a Nike Patriots (new style) Bledsoe jersey, and I do remember there being Nike Patriot replicas of the "Elvis on the shoulder" jerseys. I also own a Puma Patriots jersey of everyone's favorite 3rd string QB on the Pats roster at the time - Michael Bishop. The multiple manufacterers were cool because some made other players (Champion made a Kevin Faulk replica when Starter didn't) and such.

Ahhh, the old days...where competition was a great thing.

Nike may not have been a licensee when the Flying Elvis occupied the shoulders of New England's jerseys.

If we go back even further, we can point towards Champion replicas, where no matter what font the team used for their names, Champion's would use the stock Champion font (think Bengals and Bills of the 80s).

It looked terrible when the Watters and Hugh Douglas Eagle replicas made by Champion had that look. Maybe even more terrible than Majestic and the way the do MLB replicas these days.

p104969reg.jpg

Terrible. Just terrible.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Back in 2001 I was looking in a Wilson catalog at their custom line of football uniforms,and I noticed everything pictured as a custom uni was what was worn by Puma teams in the NFL at the time,including a Tennessee Titans uni (minus the sleeve logos) complete with the custom font.He told me then that Wilson still made NFL unis but branded them as 'Puma' for the teams weating Puma at the time that once wore Wilson.

Oddly though,the Titans never wore Wilson as the 'Titans'.Puma's first year was 1999 and that was the first year of Oilers to Titans.Jus thought I would point this out.

Also,a few weeks ago I was told that a company named 'Red Fox'(sp) is who Nike job out their football uniforms to now.I tried doing searches online but I was'nt able to find any info about them,only a quick listing of the company name.

If anyone knows anything about this could you please share?

98Falcons.png

Archived