All you Phillies and White Sox fans

Jigga

What does this do to Paul Konerko's chances of returning to the White Sox? Is Thome simply gonna be a full-time DH? What about Carl Everett?

Why the hell would the White Sox make this deal? lol

I suspect they're kissing Konerko goodbye. I suppose they could re-sign Konerko to play 1B and move Thome to DH, which would help keep him healthy. But the more like scenario would see Thome at 1B and flexibility at DH w/ Konerko and FThomas out of the picture.

The ChiSox have a youngster named Brian Williams (a product of the University of Arizona, I might add) who they'd like to slot into CF. And Rowand's not been all that productive, anyway.

So the measure of the trade for Chicago is (i) Thome's health; and (ii) the amount of money they got from Philly. It could work out.

What does this do to Paul Konerko's chances of returning to the White Sox? Is Thome simply gonna be a full-time DH? What about Carl Everett?

I suspect they're kissing Konerko goodbye. I suppose they could re-sign Konerko to play 1B and move Thome to DH, which would help keep him healthy. But the more like scenario would see Thome at 1B and flexibility at DH w/ Konerko and FThomas out of the picture.

The ChiSox have a youngster named Brian Williams (a product of the University of Arizona, I might add) who they'd like to slot into CF. And Rowand's not been all that productive, anyway.

So the measure of the trade for Chicago is (i) Thome's health; and (ii) the amount of money they got from Philly. It could work out.

Could we possibly see Konerko either in Boston or Anaheim?

Yep.

There goes the repeat.

I don't know about that one, Flame, especially based on that one move...

This makes it much, much more likely. I'd think Boston would jump at the chance to add Konerko's bat, but I think it totally hinges on what happens with Manny Ramirez. Wherever Konerko ends up will be where Manny does not neither is gonna end up with both. BTW, Carl Everett's contract is up. He's a memory in Chi-town, kinda like dinosaurs...:P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Nice. They've solidied their outfield (Rowand, Abreu, and dare I say... Shane Victorino), they've unloaded the albatross that is Jim Thome and ensured Ryan Howard will play a season at first, and it shows that Pat Gillick has the chutzpah to make some deals. Not only that, but now they have more money to spend to get Billy Wagner back.

philly.png

I haven't heard a definitive answer about if the Phillies are going to pay most or even any of Thome's salary.

If not, Gillick has already proved his worth. Thome is just too shy and thin-skinned to make it in a big east-coast city. Chicago is a big (very big) city, but he will probably play much better there. Unless last year wasn't a fluke and he really is washed up.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I haven't heard a definitive answer about if the Phillies are going to pay most or even any of Thome's salary.

If not, Gillick has already proved his worth. Thome is just too shy and thin-skinned to make it in a big east-coast city. Chicago is a big (very big) city, but he will probably play much better there. Unless last year wasn't a fluke and he really is washed up.

I've read that PHI will pay about 1/2 of Thome's salary. If that's the case, the White Sox are getting a player who, if healthy, should be about as productive as Konerko for 1/2 the price.

How good are the pitchers the Sox surrendered? My understanding is that they are youngish (20 and 22) former first-round picks. As a general rule, the more salary a team is willing to pay, the better the prospects they're likely to get for trading a superstar player. But prospects are just lottery tix.

It was not long ago that Jim Thome was as coveted a player as Konerko is now. He is a tremendous power hitter whose exit from PHI is expedited only because of the emergence of Ryan Howard. The injury concerns were secondary, I think. The extra money to go after Billy Wagner is a nice bonus for the Phillies, but would not have prompted the deal absent the Howard factor.

The White Sox could come out looking like champs in this deal. Wouldn't be the first time.

I've read that PHI will pay about 1/2 of Thome's salary. If that's the case, the White Sox are getting a player who, if healthy, should be about as productive as Konerko for 1/2 the price.

How good are the pitchers the Sox surrendered? My understanding is that they are youngish (20 and 22) former first-round picks. As a general rule, the more salary a team is willing to pay, the better the prospects they're likely to get for trading a superstar player. But prospects are just lottery tix.

It was not long ago that Jim Thome was as coveted a player as Konerko is now. He is a tremendous power hitter whose exit from PHI is expedited only because of the emergence of Ryan Howard. The injury concerns were secondary, I think. The extra money to go after Billy Wagner is a nice bonus for the Phillies, but would not have prompted the deal absent the Howard factor.

The White Sox could come out looking like champs in this deal. Wouldn't be the first time.

True, if not for the emergence of Howard, this deal may not have been made. However, for the past two seasons, people have been seriously questioning Thome's heart and leadership capabilities. How he "turtled up" when players started turning on Bowa, backed off and said it wasn't his place to step-up and take control when the team was in the midst of one of their famous August collapses, and how he pretty much forced the team's hand when it came to naming (woefully unqualified) Charlie Manual manager, despite other more-qualified (Jim Leyland) candidates openly campaigning for Bowa's old job.

Thome may regain his stroke, but he is just unfit to play in a town like Philadelphia (or NY, or Boston.) He could not deal with the pressure, and just couldn't handle being "the guy."

Don't get me wrong. I do not hate Thome. He is a genuinely nice person, and I always wanted him to do well. It just wasn't a good fit. If he regains his form, both teams will be better off.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The youngster referred to is Brian Anderson. The Sox have been high on him throughout his minor league career. In his first game after his call up, he hit a home run against that that rookie stud Hernandez from Seattle.

My take: Thome is insurance in case Konerko leaves. However, they expect Konerko to stay, lured in part by the idea of Thome batting behind him. The likely fallout is that Thomas won't be renegotiated and will be gone.

Props to Kenny Williams for not standing pat, even with a trophy already sitting in Chicago city hall.

LT

The youngster referred to is Brian Anderson. The Sox have been high on him throughout his minor league career. In his first game after his call up, he hit a home run against that that rookie stud Hernandez from Seattle.

Right you are. I must have been having a "Bison Dele moment."

A great trade all the way around for the Phils, especially if they get those top 2 pitching prospects as well as Rowand (Haigwood, Gio Gonzalez). I am very happy about this.

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Let the record state that this would be the first significant personnel move of the Pat Gillick era. Not bad for a first time at the plate.

You can tell it wasn't Ed Wade making the deal when you see that there were no middle relievers involved.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Archived