FC teams

winghaz

If I see another soccer team in North America called FC Something Or Another, I may just barf.

It's not football in North America. It's soccer. And we don't call our teams with letters before their names, otherwise we'd have the MLBC New York Yankees, the NBAC Los Angeles Lakers and the NHLC Toronto Maple Leafs.

Yes, Europe may do that, but we're North America and we don't do that. We have our own twists on our language (or languages), we have our own ways, we have our own traditions. We don't need to copy Europe.

So I am hereby invoking the Monroe Doctrine on North American soccer teams. Death to FC teams on this continent.

The FC thing is not an European thing, it's not a regional thing, it's just a soccer thing. It's associated with Europe because the majority of soccer teams over there do not have nicknames in the traditional American sense. They are not the Manchester United Red Devils, they are Manchester United FC, and they are known as the Red Devils because that's their symbol.

As far as the FC / SC argument, well, there are people all around the world who will argue with you that the game that they play with the pointy ball and the helmets and the 300 pound men masquerading as real athletes is not "football". In fact, the only reason that American Football has the latter moniker is because it is the grandchild of Association Football, aka Soccer. Association Football begat Rugby Football, which begat American / Gridiron Football. Real Football is what's also known as Soccer. In fact, the name Soccer itself is British, a flubbing of the word "Association". So the origin of the word is European, not American, and it's also used in Europe.

I resent the fact that TV and the think tanks are trying to Americanize the game. Did you know that US Soccer wanted to add padding and time outs, among other things, to the 1994 World Cup? FIFA got wind of this and threatened to move the event elsewhere. They tried tweaking the rules for MLS, and within four years, they were playing the same way that the rest of the world does. Football is a world game. It doesn't belong to us, it never will. Get over it.

The only objection I have to this is this "Real Salt Lake" crap. That's pretty self explanitory. Other than that, I stick to my argument.

philly.png

As far as the FC / SC argument, well, there are people all around the world who will argue with you that the game that they play with the pointy ball and the helmets and the 300 pound men masquerading as real athletes is not "football".

But interestingly enough, in North America, it is football -- and based on that fact, the FC names for soccer clubs doesn't make sense.

IUe6Hvh.png

As far as the FC / SC argument, well, there are people all around the world who will argue with you that the game that they play with the pointy ball and the helmets and the 300 pound men masquerading as real athletes is not "football".

But interestingly enough, in North America, it is football -- and based on that fact, the FC names for soccer clubs doesn't make sense.

I agree with BigBrain on this one.

Aside from Real Salt Lake, which is just silly, I like the use of FC.

There are probably more fans of the English Premier League in the U.S. than there are fans of MLS. I find it entirely appropriate for MLS teams to use FC designations.

I think it allows fans of the older, established soccer leagues around the world to have more of a connection to MLS. I also think it signals that maybe the U.S. game does aspire to follow the lead of its European brethren.

It did that for me. I was glad to see Dallas more from the Dallas Burn -- a horrible name -- to FC Dallas (though I'd prefer Dallas FC).

The MLS otherwise, to me, would ignore the traditions of the game for the sake of becoming something Americans are more used to.

i agree with Brian, Soccer (ill use just to stop confusion amongst you guys) is one of the most brilliant sports, they are not trying to rival your gridiron over there, they can surely co-exist. In Australia, we have Four Football codes (Aussie Rules, Union, League, Soccer) and those that follow those sports refer to them as Football, i have no problem.....Soccer was Football, before Gridiron became Football (in fact, i can only imagine how much rules had been changed to develop gridiron)

Soccer is Football, they can co-exist

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

My feelings on the FC thing is that in the United States, it should follow the club name. In Spain, you see FC _____ a lot because of Spanish grammar, that the adjective follows the noun. But since we speak English, and normally our adjectives are before the noun, it should be _______ FC. (In this case, treat the club as a noun, and the name of the club as an adjective)

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived