Pittman: 697

Jarret: 1153

TDs-

Pittman: 5

Jarret: 15

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this game is gonna be sick! i really hate USC (for some reason i feel compelled to say this every time ^_^ ), but this could go down as one of the greatest rose bowls in recent memory, although last year's is tough to top. now i dont want to sound like a complete a-hole, so i say good luck to USC and Texas both. by the way, if young decides to throw the ball, the USC secondary could be exposed and may prove to be the death of the trojans this time around. or.... maybe it wont :D

this will be a great bowl season (understatement).

quinn_samardzija_sig.jpg

Yeah stats dont mean much in football. Also, a factor you haven't brought in is that USC hasn't faced a D this season like Texas. UT faced Ohio State who has one of the better defenses in the nation, so they know what its like to score against a big time D.

But rushing stats don't mean much either. How many yards a game does LT average in the NFL? How many did he have against Philadelphia this season? It's a different game every week, every team. I expect it to be a great game, and I might get tickets to the game. It's likely I will, cause I had tickets to the Rose Bowl with UT last year, but this is a little bigger of a game.

Yeah stats dont mean much in football. Also, a factor you haven't brought in is that USC hasn't faced a D this season like Texas. UT faced Ohio State who has one of the better defenses in the nation, so they know what its like to score against a big time D.

Texas's D hasn't faced an offense like USC's this season, but USC's defense has faced 8 offenses ranked in the top 30 (as of last week). Two of those eight scored more than 13 points.

Texas only squared off against two offenses in the top 30 (Texas Tech and Missouri, and Missouri was 30th).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

well why even play the game? We obviously don't stand a chance.

:)

Good point!

jk....granted, Texas is a great team. I wasn't saying the game wasn't worth playing, itll be a hell of a game, but I've got faith in USC to win this.

Also, did anybody see Vince Young's statement today? About how he wants heisman voters to look at what he does for his team and not just the stats, because he only plays one half and sits out usually in the 2nd. Then he went on to say how he's such a leader for his team.

Heisman Trophy winners don't care about the Heisman Trophy, at least not enough to beg for votes. They don't care about personal accolades. Nor do they toot their own horn about how much they lead their team and how everyone looks up to him. A budding Terrel Owens in V. Young?

well why even play the game?  We obviously don't stand a chance.

:)

Good point!

jk....granted, Texas is a great team. I wasn't saying the game wasn't worth playing, itll be a hell of a game, but I've got faith in USC to win this.

Also, did anybody see Vince Young's statement today? About how he wants heisman voters to look at what he does for his team and not just the stats, because he only plays one half and sits out usually in the 2nd. Then he went on to say how he's such a leader for his team.

Heisman Trophy winners don't care about the Heisman Trophy, at least not enough to beg for votes. They don't care about personal accolades. Nor do they toot their own horn about how much they lead their team and how everyone looks up to him. A budding Terrel Owens in V. Young?

I agree. I actually hope VY loses the Heisman...so he'll come back feeling he has to prove something. He also mentioned that the championship was more important to him than the Heisman, but he has been stumping a little too hard lately. He seems like a decent guy (as does Bush), and he's no budding T.O.. Go to austin360.com and you'll see more than you ever wanted about the game from an Austin perspective.

newsig.jpg

Unlike the OP I will not state my opinion as fact, because nobody can possibly know going in which of these two titans will come out on top when it's all settled. I will say that all of those stats really are moot because of something you discredit Vince Young for.

Most of the time, he only plays half the game. That's because by halftime, his team usually has an insurmountable lead anyway, and because coach Mack Brown knows he can sit his best player and avoid injury concerns without having to compromise his chances at victory either. You've got to know that come Rose Bowl time, Vince Young will be playing every minute of that game.

Someone else pointed out that USC has had to face potent offenses this season. However, they have yet to face an offense that puts up more points per game than them... combined with an excellent defense as well.

USC is an offensive powerhouse. UT is an offensive powerhouse. That goes without saying... but USC is actually going to have to play against a solid defense in the Rose Bowl. USC's defense gave up 42 points to a team that went 7-4. How will they handle a team that went 12-0? On the opposite side of the spectrum, UT never gave up more than 29 points this season.

Just some things to ponder...

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Most of the time, he only plays half the game. That's because by halftime, his team usually has an insurmountable lead anyway, and because coach Mack Brown knows he can sit his best player and avoid injury concerns without having to compromise his chances at victory either.

That's what V. Young said on ESPN to Heisman voters, stating that he's such a great leader for his team and to look at what he does on the field besides putting up stats. Granted he is a great leader, but like i said before, Heisman trophy winners don't promote themselves nor do they care about personal accolades, at least not enough to make a public statement as to why people should vote for him over Reggie Bush. Then he said if people want to vote for someone who's been a great leader, then theyll vote for him, and if they just vote based on flashy moves and stats, vote for Bush. Whats up with that?

Offense is great, but what about some defensive statistics?

I usually don't play the stats game, but you asked..... :D

2005 DEFENSIVE STATS

Rush yds allowed per game

USC 117 (24th)

UT 124 (30th)

yards allowed per game

USC 345 (39th)

UT 280 (6th)

pass yds allowed per game

USC 227 (75th)

UT 156 (5th)

pts allowed per game