Houston NHL concept

dgnmrwrw

Houston-A2.png

I'm diggin this. I think it looks balanced now, now all you need is an alt :P

Kind of reminds me of the current penguins jersey...

Agreed.

This, along with the revised home set, is rock freakin' solid.

If you're open to suggestions, I think a good third would be using the secondary logo as the crest on a blue jersey. Oh, with traditional striping.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're open to suggestions, I think a good third would be using the secondary logo as the crest on a blue jersey. Oh, with traditional striping.

Ha. You just about hit the nail on the head. I'm working on one like that right now.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

OK, I'm going to present both of these ideas for an alternate. The first is pretty basic. The second pushes the envelope a bit more.

Houston-Alt.png

Houston-Alt2.png

I'm partial toward the second one, mostly because I think it's more interesting, but also because I really don't think that secondary logo works as a big crest. But I don't think the "HOUSTON" will be popular. C+C please.

i still would like to see what the home and road sets would look like with the shuttle as its crest other than the "h."

Do you mean the original shuttle logo? Or the new one with the Apollo command module?

I like the concepts and I like the name Orbits.

And I REALLY like the idea of, in the future, if the NHL were to expand to Pittsburgh or another team moved to Pittsburgh, that team could be called the Penguins.

I definitely agree. I wish the NHL would have some sort of Cleveland Browns-esque deal with Pittsburgh where they could keep the name, colors, numbers, and credit for the Stanley Cups....

That could happen only if the Pens fans cry and whine and act like they were the first city ever to lose a team. Hell if they yell loud enough maybe the NHL will help fund the new place just like the NFL. I still am calling for a constitutional amendmet to leave the name, history and colors with the city when a team moves. How many Lakes are in LA, Jazz clubs in Utah and we all know that Indianapolis has a big HORSE race every year!

i disagree. if a team moves they have evry right to take their identity and history with them. the browns situation set a dangerous precident, one that needs to end. whever the pens end up moving they should take their history with them. they don't have to use black and gold, or call themselves the penguins when they move, but they should be allowed to keep their history from their past location, seeing as it is the same team.

as for the concept, i love it. imo your original road concept was the best. the one problem i have is that it looks a little simular to the preds alt yellows. the differenc ebeing in that your uniforms actually look good.

The team and the city become one over time. In a lot of cases the name is chosen to reflect the city. All of the sports teams in Baltimore past an present have been that way. Let me know if you feel the same if the Kitchner Rangers move to Watertown NY or the Jays move to Portland.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

OK, I'm going to present both of these ideas for an alternate. The first is pretty basic. The second pushes the envelope a bit more.

Houston-Alt.png

Houston-Alt2.png

I'm partial toward the second one, mostly because I think it's more interesting, but also because I really don't think that secondary logo works as a big crest. But I don't think the "HOUSTON" will be popular. C+C please.

These have been great. Try getting the HOUSTON to follow the same line as the dark blue stripe.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I like the concepts and I like the name Orbits.

And I REALLY like the idea of, in the future, if the NHL were to expand to Pittsburgh or another team moved to Pittsburgh, that team could be called the Penguins.

I definitely agree. I wish the NHL would have some sort of Cleveland Browns-esque deal with Pittsburgh where they could keep the name, colors, numbers, and credit for the Stanley Cups....

That could happen only if the Pens fans cry and whine and act like they were the first city ever to lose a team. Hell if they yell loud enough maybe the NHL will help fund the new place just like the NFL. I still am calling for a constitutional amendmet to leave the name, history and colors with the city when a team moves. How many Lakes are in LA, Jazz clubs in Utah and we all know that Indianapolis has a big HORSE race every year!

i disagree. if a team moves they have evry right to take their identity and history with them. the browns situation set a dangerous precident, one that needs to end. whever the pens end up moving they should take their history with them. they don't have to use black and gold, or call themselves the penguins when they move, but they should be allowed to keep their history from their past location, seeing as it is the same team.

as for the concept, i love it. imo your original road concept was the best. the one problem i have is that it looks a little simular to the preds alt yellows. the differenc ebeing in that your uniforms actually look good.

The team and the city become one over time. In a lot of cases the name is chosen to reflect the city. All of the sports teams in Baltimore past an present have been that way. Let me know if you feel the same if the Kitchner Rangers move to Watertown NY or the Jays move to Portland.

honestly, i would have no problem if those teams took their history and identity with them. if the kitcheners rangers or the jays moved, it dosn't matter, because they would still be the same team, regardless of location.

if the jays moved to portland, then the portland lumberjacks (or whatever they call themselves) would have every right to honour their past accomplishments as the torornto blue jays. i really don't care if they took the blue jays history and id with them, because in the end it dosn't really matter.

the whole point of keeping a team's id and history is to give all of that to any new expansion team that might come to that city. imo that is one idiotic line of thinking. say the jays do go to portland and becom the lumberjacks, and they take the blue jays id and history with them. then say in five years toronto gets an expansion team. i'm not going to be any less of a toronto baseball fan just because the new team dosn't have the history/name/colours as the old team.

honestly, lets say that when art took the browns to baltimore he got to take all the browns history and id with him. so now we have the baltimore browns. then in '99 cleveland gets an expansion team, the cleveland bulldogs, cannons, whatever. the new team has no connection what so ever with the browns team. in the end cleveland fans are still going to cheer for the new team, even if they have no connection what so ever with the city's old team.

oh, and the alt with "HOUSTON" is wicked.

Orbits is more associated w/ chewing gum. I still like "Challengers" :mad:

You are kidding, right? You are trying to say that the word orbit is more associated with a gum that hasn't been on the market for 5 years compared to an association with space travel and it's over 50 years?

I don't see what the big fuss is- Orbit is a great name. Challengers is too controversial- it's just like Native American mascots right now, too touchy and some org will have a problem with that. No GM wants that when starting a new team.

Great concept and identity- works very well and although I have seen more complex logos on here before, this one seems just right and more practical for use by a real team. :D

if the jays moved to portland, then the portland lumberjacks (or whatever they call themselves) would have every right to honour their past accomplishments as the torornto blue jays. i really don't care if they took the blue jays history and id with them, because in the end it dosn't really matter.

the whole point of keeping a team's id and history is to give all of that to any new expansion team that might come to that city. imo that is one idiotic line of thinking. say the jays do go to portland and becom the lumberjacks, and they take the blue jays id and history with them. then say in five years toronto gets an expansion team. i'm not going to be any less of a toronto baseball fan just because the new team dosn't have the history/name/colours as the old team.

honestly, lets say that when art took the browns to baltimore he got to take all the browns history and id with him. so now we have the baltimore browns. then in '99 cleveland gets an expansion team, the cleveland bulldogs, cannons, whatever. the new team has no connection what so ever with the browns team. in the end cleveland fans are still going to cheer for the new team, even if they have no connection what so ever with the city's old team.

oh, and the alt with "HOUSTON" is wicked.

OK well I guess we will agree to disagree. But seeing the "Colts" in Indy acting as if Johnny Unitas and the class of '58 were the Sunday Heroes if Indianapolis makes me vomit. Oh and no one associates Jackie Robinson as an LA Dodger but the NFL does associate John Unitas as an Indianapolis Colt in the Hall of Fame. Also just imagine the marketing and merchandising of "retired" names.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

P. J. O'Rourke

Not to throw cold water on your concept, but the "H" logo with the orbiting spaceship is a little close to the Houston Comets' secondary logo. The WNBA team uses an "H" with a comet circling around it on their shorts. You can look it up on CC's logo page.

Good job, though. I like the last blue jersey with "HOUSTON" on it.

Not to throw cold water on your concept, but the "H" logo with the orbiting spaceship is a little close to the Houston Comets' secondary logo. The WNBA team uses an "H" with a comet circling around it on their shorts. You can look it up on CC's logo page.

Good job, though. I like the last blue jersey with "HOUSTON" on it.

here's the logo bulldog's talking about:

http://www.sportslogos.net/Site/logo.php?lo=1578

yeah, it's simular, but it's the wnba, so who cares?[insert sarcasim smily here]

Its a great concept, but, believe me, pens fans are fighting to keep the pens here.

what, all five of them :P:D

i applaud your civil loyalty, but lemoux said it himself, the pens can't survive in pittsburgh. he's already taking offers from other cities, houston being a fron runner.

Archived