Icecap's NHL re-design-Complete Edition

IceCap

Awesome job on everyone of them man...I really like the addition of the PHX logo added to the shoulders of the Coyote Jerseys...I dont really like the black (just cause it is not one of their colors) but I do agree there is not much that should be done to the current jerseys. I just wish they would make an Alt with the main logo replaced with the PHX logo...Oh well, its good to dream. Great job again.

PopHeading-1.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for the Captials concept, it's alright but I've seen better from you. I'm not crazy about the colours you have chosen with this template. And the logo is a downgrade.

Yeah, looking back, I wish I had gone with their current template. Still, what I ended up doing is differnet and unique, which is always good.

• 2 weeks later...
I really liked the Devils Alt and the Coyotes Alt.

On another note, I always wondered why when the Minnesota North Stars moved to Texas they did'nt name the team the Dallas Lone Stars.

Great site, will put up some of my ideas when I can.

I always thought that too. I was told by some one though that there is a beer called Lone Star and there may have been some issues.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I really liked the Devils Alt and the Coyotes Alt.

On another note, I always wondered why when the Minnesota North Stars moved to Texas they did'nt name the team the Dallas Lone Stars.

Great site, will put up some of my ideas when I can.

I always thought that too. I was told by some one though that there is a beer called Lone Star and there may have been some issues.

The North Stars never became the Lone Stars because the name "Lone Stars" makes little to no sence. If there's a group (or team) of Lone Stars, then they are no longer alone.

If getting "gramatically correct" is when you are going then maybe someone should change the name of the Toronto Maple Leafs, the plural of Leaf is "Leaves"....nobaody picks up leafs in their yard in the fall do they?

Also is there more than 1 "North Star"?

If there is sailors have been very lucky over the years relying on that as navagation.

Pittsburgh Penguins

I decided to go to a template simular to the one used during the team's Stanley Cup years. I contemplated ditching the gold in favor of yellow, but decided to stay with the gold. I didn't want to much of a retro feel. For the alt I used a gold jersey with a template slightly based off of the team's first sweater. So far this is one of my favourites.

I'm totally gay for this concept.

Pittsburgh Penguins

I decided to go to a template simular to the one used during the team's Stanley Cup years. I contemplated ditching the gold in favor of yellow, but decided to stay with the gold. I didn't want to much of a retro feel. For the alt I used a gold jersey with a template slightly based off of the team's first sweater. So far this is one of my favourites.

I'm totally gay for this concept.

Ok....guess that's a good thing ^_^

If getting "gramatically correct" is when you are going then maybe someone should change the name of the Toronto Maple Leafs, the plural of Leaf is "Leaves"....nobaody picks up leafs in their yard in the fall do they?

Also is there more than 1 "North Star"?

If there is sailors have been very lucky over the years relying on that as navagation.

Take a look:

http://www.webster.com/dictionary/leaf

"Leafs" is an acceptable plaural form of the word "Leaf." Glad that debate's over.

Yes there is one North Star. However, the name "North Stars" dosn't contradict itself, because nothing in the word "North" contradicts the plaural nature of the word "Stars."

Lone, however, designates being "the only one". This clearly contradicts the plaural nature of the word "Stars."

Remember how this started with me complimenting your work?

And making a suggestion off the cuff (to which someone else agreed) about the Stars. Now it has turned into a long winded debate of the English langauge.

I give you the Leafs only on point of it being in the dictionary you linked to but ask you whether that version (LEAFS) can be used as a noun or verb?

LEAVES is the plural of the noun, which a hockey team would be. Leafs is a verb.

As for the Stars maybe they were preffering solitude. (see below)

Stars who prefer solitude playing hockey in Dallas.

You still have great designs............Is this over now?

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/lone

Main Entry: lone

Pronunciation: 'lOn

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English, short for alone

1 a : having no company : SOLITARY b : preferring solitude

2 : ONLY, SOLE

3 : situated by itself : ISOLATED

And making a suggestion off the cuff (to which someone else agreed) about the Stars. Now it has turned into a long winded debate of the English langauge.

I give you the Leafs only on point of it being in the dictionary you linked to but ask you whether that version (LEAFS) can be used as a noun or verb?

LEAVES is the plural of the noun, which a hockey team would be. Leafs is a verb.

As for the Stars maybe they were preffering solitude. (see below)

Stars who prefer solitude playing hockey in Dallas.

You still have great designs............Is this over now?

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/lone

Main Entry: lone

Pronunciation: 'lOn

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English, short for alone

1 a : having no company : SOLITARY b : preferring solitude

2 : ONLY, SOLE

3 : situated by itself : ISOLATED

Well once again I'll thank you for the complament. I was just stating that I thought Lone Stars was a bad name. That's all. I didn't mean for a debate on the English language to start. Glad you enjoy my work.

:welcome: newcomer.

Since you must have missed the first 30 times this subject has come up and been debated, you may want to drop the smugness and read up. I try to avoid battles of wits with unarmed people, but since you goaded me into it, class is in session. :mad:

[excerpted from Steven Pinker's "The Language Instinct", an excellent book BTW:]

[T]he noun being pluralized is not leaf, the unit of foliage, but a noun based on the name Maple Leaf, Canada's national symbol... [A] noun that does not get its nounhood from one of its components cannot get an irregular plural from that component either; hence it defaults to the regular form Maple Leafs.

Counterposed question: one billfish is a marlin. The plural of "marlin" is "marlin", like "deer", "fish", "moose" and so on. Yet the baseball team in Florida is the "Marlins". Because the singular is a proper noun, it is pluralized with an "s". As such, the hockey team in Toronto is not named for the appendage on the branches of maple trees that change colors in the fall, but rather for the Maple Leaf, a national symbol of Canada. :flagcanada: The singular is Maple Leaf, the plural is Maple Leafs.

Game... set... match.

As for the merits of "Dallas Lone Stars", answer this: you're at a Hallowe'en party. In walks a guy dressed as the Lone Ranger. A few minutes later, another guy walks in, in the exact same costume. How many Lone Rangers are there? How can this be? "The Lone Ranger" was a fictitious character, but if more than one person is dressing up like him, there is more than one Lone Ranger.

The rule for Lone Stars is the same as Maple Leafs. The team would be named after the symbol of Texas, the Lone Star. As such, pluralizing the name of the symbol yields "Lone Stars". Just like if you were drinking cans of various beers, and someone asks how many you've had. You'd say you had 3 Millers, 3 Budweisers and a couple of Lone Stars.

Now it's over. 'Cuz Stone Cold said so.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Would they be serving Lone Star beer at this Halloween party for dim witted people who have nothing better to do?

Couldn't tell you. I won't be there, partying with the intellectually bereft... But feel free to serve if you want - you can be as big a hit there as you've been so far here. :P

And since you asked before, Polaris is currently considered the (North) Pole Star, as it is closest to driectly over the axis upon which the Earth rotates. However, the Earth wobbles on its axis, and in a few thousand years, there will be a new Pole Star for navigators to follow. So while there is one star that is currently known as The North Star (Polaris, which has been the only star for all of Western Civiliation's existence), there are several that have or will serve as pole stars.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Healthy - Lively debate is one thing. Sharing ones thoughts with like minded people is usually a joy. Having someone like you be consistantly condescending grows tiresome rather quickly. Class can continue on without me. Are you in forums to try to one up people by searching out obscue references in books? How bout just saying what you feel rather than quoting an author or looking up a word in the dictionary. This is not about IQ. Two people can quite often look at something and yet see it in a completely different way. The "class in session" comment seems to indicate to me a need to presume a superiorority over others I won't respond to further.

Enjoy the forum.

Archived