Broncos white in '86?

Blue Falcon

This is from the latest Uniwatch article that links to the Broncos info:

"Reeves brought a Cowboys mentality to Denver when he took over the Broncos in 1981. He decided the team would wear white

at home during September. Reeves didn't realize that Colorado Sundays were not as disgustingly hot as September days in Dallas.

Constantly reminded that the Broncos were ORANGE, Reeves got a clue by the time John Elway arrived in 1983. However, Reeves

reverted once. Before the 1986 season the coach informed the league that the Broncos would wear white in the Oct. 5 game ... against

the Cowboys. Dallas was forced to break out the blue jerseys and lost to the Broncos at

Mile High Stadium, 29-14."

does anybody know... is that true about the Broncos wearing white at home once in '86?

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Then the guy who wrote that is nuts...and it was Woody Paige, the Denver Post Sports Columnist! If he gets this stuff wrong, what else has he goofed up? Here's the whole article:

Chargers' dress code in effect

By Woody Paige, Denver Post Sports Columnist

Wednesday, November 12, 2003

The Broncos will don their Sunday go-to-meeting outfits against the Chargers.

The whizzer whites.

And if truth, justice and the Broncos way prevail, the Chargers will be victimized by the white-out.

On Sunday afternoon, for the first time in 17 years, the Broncos will play a regular-season home game in pure-as-the-driven-snow

white uniforms.

Because Marty Schottenheimer wants vengeance.

But no matter when he is finished coaching - possibly at the end of this season - Schottenheimer will never get even with the

Broncos and Mike Shanahan.

Three times - twice in white uniforms, oddly enough - the Broncos have kept Schottenheimer's teams from reaching the Super

Bowl. In 1986 and 1987, when Schottenheimer was the Cleveland coach and Shanahan was the Broncos' offensive coordinator, the

Browns lost the AFC championship to the Broncos. In 1997 the Broncos, with Shanahan as the head coach, beat the Chiefs, coached

by Schottenheimer, in Kansas City en route to their first Super Bowl title.

Against Schottenheimer-coached teams the Broncos have compiled a 17-11 record. The latest was a 37-13 waxing in San Diego

earlier this season.

Therein lies the rub.

Because of an oversight by their longtime, capable equipment manager, Doug West, the Broncos wore white jerseys and white

pants in San Diego. So what? The Broncos customarily wear white on the road. The rare exception is when they play at Dallas. Unlike

most NFL teams, the Cowboys always choose to wear white jerseys at home.

Before the season a team must designate which jerseys it will wear at home before the season. (A team can determine pants colors

the week of a game. For instance, the Broncos have worn blue pants for both Monday night games and white pants with blue jerseys

for the previous two Sunday games.)

More information than you want to know, but bear with me.

In their preseason communique with the league office, the Chargers stated they would be wearing white jerseys at home for only

one game - the Sept. 14 home opener against Denver. The obvious reason was the Chargers believed it would be a warm Southern

California afternoon, and white supposedly reflects heat. The temperature at kickoff was a pleasant 73 degrees.

The Broncos have not worn blue or the old orange jerseys in San Diego since 1984, according to West, and I don't remember the

Broncos wearing those colors there since I started covering the team in 1974.

West made an honest mistake. Happens. I make them occasionally. (For instance, I wrote in the last column that there are three

AFC wild-card teams, although this idiot was aware that there are just two, and that the Chiefs are home against the Bengals on

Sunday when the game actually is in Cincinnati. Thanks to the thousands of readers who politely corrected me.)

The Broncos' gaffe was discovered at the stadium on the Sunday morning of the San Diego game, but they had traveled with their

(usual) road jerseys. The Chargers' equipment manager sent to the team's facility for their (usual) home jerseys, and the Broncos'

equipment manager and his staff helped strip the white jerseys off the shoulder pads and apply the Chargers' own navy jerseys. The

entire process took less than an hour - and was completed before the players arrived.

None of the Chargers suffered heat exhaustion, although they got tired chasing the Broncos.

The Broncos were fined $25,000 (more than $500 per jersey), and the matter should have been finished there. Except that the

NFL ruled that the Chargers could select the jerseys they wanted to wear for the return match in Denver.

San Diego, it was learned Tuesday, is going blue on Sunday.

How cute.

Schottenheimer and the Chargers are trying to rat-fuddle the Broncos.

It will take more than costumes and Doug Flutie to beat the Broncos. Jake The Snake Charmer will be back.

San Diego will become the only team in memory (mine) to lose twice in the same season to the Broncos when they are dressed in

white.

The Broncos have worn gold jerseys (1960-61), orange jerseys (1962-96) and blue jerseys (1997-2003) at home with a few

exceptions when Dan Reeves was the coach.

Reeves brought a Cowboys mentality to Denver when he took over the Broncos in 1981. He decided the team would wear white

at home during September. Reeves didn't realize that Colorado Sundays were not as disgustingly hot as September days in Dallas.

Constantly reminded that the Broncos were ORANGE, Reeves got a clue by the time John Elway arrived in 1983. However, Reeves

reverted once. Before the 1986 season the coach informed the league that the Broncos would wear white in the Oct. 5 game ... against

the Cowboys. Dallas was forced to break out the blue jerseys and lost to the Broncos at Mile High Stadium, 29-14.

Maybe there is something to the Chargers' madness. They will attempt to win on consecutive Sundays in blue, and, after all, the

Broncos haven't won in all white since the game in San Diego.

The Broncos did whip Oakland with the blue jerseys and blue pants, but they lost to New England.

The Broncos don't have to be clothes horses, but they do have to look as sharp as Tom Wolfe in an all-white suit.

They could show up naked against the San Diego Chargers and win.

(Temperatures are expected to be in the 50s.)

The Broncos need to get accustomed to winning in white jerseys and white pants if they plan to be around in January. There will be at

least three more games in the white "road" unis.

Then, if the Broncos become one of the TWO - count 'em - TWO wild-card teams in the AFC, they would have to win three times in

all-white uniforms to reach the Super Bowl.

Of course, the Broncos won their second Super Bowl, No. 33, in angelic white.

Source: http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,3...1760551,00.html

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Three times - twice in white uniforms, oddly enough - the Broncos have kept Schottenheimer's teams from reaching the Super Bowl. In 1986 and 1987...

He's wrong about this, too - the Broncos wore orange jerseys in both AFC Championship games against Cleveland:

The Drive:

The%20Drive.jpg

The Byner fumble:

10.jpg

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

Not only is old Woody wrong about the Dallas game, he is wrong in his analogy against Marty. Denver wore Orange for both AFC Championship games against Cleveland. In those days, Cleveland wore white at home all season long. Therefore, Denver beat Marty 3 times, but only the AFC Divisional game at Arrowhead had the Broncs in white.

In Woody Paige's defense, he is a moron who often doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

Is that really in his "defense" then?

He's saying that you really shouldn't rip Woody Paige due to the fact that he's so dumb.

In Woody Paige's defense, he is a moron who often doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

Is that really in his "defense" then?

He's saying that you really shouldn't rip Woody Paige due to the fact that he's so dumb.

I'm sorry, I just have to laugh at this part of the thread. If you ever see Woody Paige on "Around The Horn," his stupidity comes off as comical, like the guy at the bar who claims Tiki Barber rushed for 2,000 yards not once, but twice in his career (replace the word "bar" with "party," "social gathering," and you've met him somewhere). I know it's OT, but I had to give my 2 cents. No defense for his errors though.

Woody Paige has never been one to let frivolous things like facts get in the way of an argument. He comes from the "if I say it loud enough and shout it often enough, it has to be true" school of journalism.

Oh, and nice dye job.

Dope.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Chargers' dress code in effect

By Woody Paige, Denver Post Sports Columnist

Wednesday, November 12, 2003

The Broncos have worn gold jerseys (1960-61), orange jerseys (1962-96) and blue jerseys (1997-2003) at home with a few

exceptions when Dan Reeves was the coach.

Source: http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,3...1760551,00.html

i'm pretty certain the broncos wore white at home for all of 1971 with the orange pants.

tb

i can say this as c. wheeler is my good friend,

but the broncos wore a white jersey/orange pants combo from 1968 thru 1971 and a season in the late 70's, i think 1978.

and they did wear white at home in 1971.

tb

Searched the athletgraphics website from 1967 through 1973 or so and 1968 was the only year they show orange pants, and that was on the road.

Denver68.gif

Imagine the monochrome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like my women like i like my coffee, tied up in a burlap sack and thrown over the back of a donkey.

Archived