Houston Bowl - Houston, TX

Cotton Bowl - Dallas, TX

Outback Bowl - Tampa, FL

Capital One Bowl - Orlando, FL

Fiesta Bowl - Tempe, AZ

Sugar Bowl - New Orleans, LA

Orange Bowl - Miami, FL

Rose Bowl - Pasadena, CA

The above is the current bowl schedule. I propose that a few bowls be relocated. Below is a list of bowls to relocate and where I propose to relocate them to:

MPC Computers Bowl (Boise) to Albuquerque (???)

Independence Bowl (Shreveport) to St. Louis (Gateway Bowl or Independence Bowl)

These are the ones that should be renamed with names I came up with. If you have any ideas, post here in this thread.

New Orleans Bowl --> Crescent City Classic

GMAC Bowl --> ???

Fort Worth Bowl --> Lone Star Bowl

Hawaii Bowl --> Aloha Classic

Champs Sports Bowl --> Tangerine Bowl

Insight Bowl --> Copper Bowl

Meineke Car Care Bowl --> ???

Houston Bowl --> Magnolia Bowl

Feel free to add your own ideas in this thread.

Your ideas seem ok, except for the Fort Worth Bowl. There are 5 bowl games played in Texas. Each one is specifically named for its city/region, stadium or sponsor. Changing the Fort Worth Bowl to the Lone Star Bowl makes it seem like the only bowl game in Texas.

New Orleans Bowl could be the Crescent City Bowl. I don't like the word "Classic", it feels like a basketball game.

The Capital One bowl should go back to the Citrus Bowl (which was the Tangerine Bowl). Tangerine to Citrus is a natural progression, at least the names are relatively similar in meaning.

I didn't mind sponsord attached to the bowl game names, at least you still had a sense of history with the games. Who doesn't remember the Poulan Weed-Eater Independence Bowl?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I didn't mind sponsord attached to the bowl game names, at least you still had a sense of history with the games. Who doesn't remember the Poulan Weed-Eater Independence Bowl?

I agree. I know that in this day and age, sponsorships are attached to everything, but I think they do themselves a disservice by having the sponsor be the ONLY name. They immediately erase any history in most fans' minds. Capital One Citrus Bowl? Fine. Capital One Bowl? Lame.

I would also never move the former Humanitarian Bowl from Boise. I think it's great that some team has to to play a december game in Idaho in late December. Throw in the blue turf and it can be watchable.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Any city with more than one bowl game is just friggin' greedy, and that game should be moved.

Any bowl game that whores itself to the point where it doesn't have a name other than that of its sponsor (see "Meineke Car Care Bowl") should be decertified.

Actually I'm kind of surprised there aren't bowl games for every team with 6 or more wins to go to - the certification requirements from the NCAA seem stringent at first glance, but actually aren't all that tough.

nav-logo.png

Just wondering ...

How did the Fiesta Bowl end up as one of the "big four" bowl games, along with the Rose, Cotton and Sugar?

When I was younger, I recall the Cotton Bowl was the fourth bowl of the biggies.

The Sugar Bowl was always on New Year's Eve, then on New Year's Day the Cotton Bowl was on at noon, the Rose Bowl in the afternoon and the Orange Bowl at night.

When did the Cotton Bowl drop off?

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Just wondering ...

How did the Fiesta Bowl end up as one of the "big four" bowl games, along with the Rose, Cotton and Sugar?

When I was younger, I recall the Cotton Bowl was the fourth bowl of the biggies.

The Sugar Bowl was always on New Year's Eve, then on New Year's Day the Cotton Bowl was on at noon, the Rose Bowl in the afternoon and the Orange Bowl at night.

I can tell you why the Fiesta Bowl is one of the big four

$$$

The Fiesta Bowl's movement ahead of the Cotton Bowl probably began in earnest when they were able to get Penn State vs. Miami in 1987. The Cotton Bowl has not had the eventual national champion since 1978. Also it couldn't have helped that the Southwest Conference disintegrated in the 1990s and lost the last 7 Cotton Bowls in which its champion participated.

Getting back to the subject at hand, I would get rid of the New Orleans, Poinsettia, Fort Worth, Champs Sports, and probably the Insight Bowl, and possibly put one in St. Louis.

Just wondering ...

The Cotton Bowl dropped off once the SWC (at least I think it was the SWC) died.

nav-logo.png

Here's my idea......get rid of all these ridiculous bowls. Keep the Cotton, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, and Rose bowls, and maybe one or two others, but it's getting out of hand. I mean, you could be just half-decent and make a bowl game. And if you're going to have all these bowls, incorporate these bowls into a PLAYOFF!

See I think the thing to do is have the bowl games, including the so-called BCS games, then have a "National Championship Game" the weekend between the AFC/NFC title games and the Super Bowl each year. Play it at a neutral site (maybe rotate between the four BCS bowl game sites), but with the #1 and #2 teams after the bowl games are over.

It doesn't diminish the value of the bowl games (when not the BCS title game every fourth year) a bit, and could easily infuse an extra $200 million a year into the NCAA's coffers.

nav-logo.png

Archived