American Flags on MLB caps

wman

Can someone confirm for me:

1) If the Blue Jays are forced to wear an American flag on their caps for "special" occasions, as MLB has recently done.

2) If so, why they don't allow they to wear at Canadian flag.

Having them wear an American flag makes no sense.  I know I'd be annoyed if the Flyers wore a Canadian flag honoring Canada.  SO what gives??

I think mainly they do it out of respect and support. I remember both them and the Expos wore an American flag on their hats in support after 9/11. Also, i think they may also (i could be wrong) wear the flag on the 4th because their are a lot of American players on the team. Personally id like to see all of the teams wear the Canadian flag on their hats on Canada day as well. :flagcanada:

I just can't remember...Did the Expos and Blue Jays wear the American flag on their uniforms in 2001 after 9/11 like the rest of the teams did?

Yes, they both did (I own Darrin Fletcher's US Flag jersey)... the Expos kept wearing an American flag on their jackets up until they moved.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

If MLB is so interested in pushing the game internationally, why not have players wear the flag of their home country?

If not all the time, then how about designating one day in the season as "International Day" to honor all the countries that provide players?

or a week since teams don't play every single day

i like that idea....

in the NFL, it has always bugged me that all teams and players have the American flag on their helmet, i always thought that players should have the flag of their country on it (ie Benny Graham gets a Aussie flag on his helmet)

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Didn't CFL teams have American flag decals on their helmets in 2001?

I don't think so. I think they have the Canadian flag on there, though.

I'm pretty sure they sang the American National Anthem before games in 2001, they have been coming out onto the field during the anthems (in Toronto at least) with a Canadian and American flag ever since.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived