Splatterhouse hats

BadSeed84

Wow... nice spikes, Mike. :upside:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

these hats be dumb . . . although I like that they are thinking more about the older logos. Everybody would think I was a painter if I wore one. . . but I'm not a painter. How much money can they squeeze out of people?

savedpictures013-1.jpg

To be even more picky, IIRC correctly, the Phillies never used the "swirly P" on a red hat.  It was always used with the maroon uniforms.

I don't know if I can fully agree with this. While I cannot find proof right now, I could swear I've seen red caps with the swirly P. I was hoping for something conclusive from Dressed to the Nines, but the red and maroon look too similar - and besides, they're drawings, so it's not conclusive anyway.

I found two old Mike Schmidt baseball cards, from 1976 and 1982. He's batting, and the helmet is clearly red, far brighter and lighter than the color on the jersey. Later in his career, the Phillies had darker maroon helmets. There's also a picture of a 1972 Schmidt card where he's wearing a cap; it's somewhere in between bright red and maroon, and I can't tell one way or the other. Anyway, maybe the helmets were wrong, but I remember when I was younger having a RED souvenir helmet with the swirly P, and having a maroon one later.

I stand at least somewhat corrected. This is why disclaimers (IIRC, for example) are always useful. Was I at least right about the logo/wordmark issue? :D

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

these hats be dumb . . . although I like that they are thinking more about the older logos. Everybody would think I was a painter if I wore one. . . but I'm not a painter. How much money can they squeeze out of people?

next thing you know, they'll bring back painter's hats....if you're too young to remember em (or your memory's too foggy) they were similar in construction to a pillbox cap, and were a precursor of sorts to all the hats with elastic bands around now. for some reason I can't recall, I owned a Brewers hat in that style...the glove was on top, the panels wrapping around my head were gold with BREWERS in blue outlined in white, and the bill was white with gold trim IIRC. Like I said, it was around 1989 or 1990. I was young and stupid :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

next thing you know, they'll bring back painter's hats....

If I had to pinpoint it, the heyday of the painter's hat was around 1984-85 (give or take a few years on either side). I remember buying a Maryland one around then. I also remember seeing a ton of painter's hats when ESPN Classic showed Maryland's comeback against Miami in 1984 (down 31-0, won 42-40, for the uninitiated).

Apparently, you can still buy them. http://www.adcapitol.com/index.php?cPath=28

PC300.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I stand at least somewhat corrected. This is why disclaimers (IIRC, for example) are always useful. Was I at least right about the logo/wordmark issue? :D

I think you're right on the wordmark issue. The Phils only use the unique wordmark created at the same time (1970) as the swirly P, while "Fightin' Phils" went bacik to the '50s. But that's typical for cap designers (and sadly, new designers/posters on CCSLC... :evil: ), to haphazardly throw a bunch of team insignias onto one article of clothing without any regard to history, or to the fact that the logos being used together were never intended to be used in combination with one another. In fact, one logo is often introduced to replace an older one, yet they're juxtaposed on the same item. Go figure!

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived