Uni Watch Cutback

BJ Sands

I got this from the mailing list which I'm on...

Heya ...

Okay, first the bad news: As I recently suggested might be the case, the

Page 2 editors have decided to cut back on Uni Watch's frequency, at least

for now. The short Monday columns will no longer be appearing. The longer

columns will continue to run every other Thursday, which means the next

installment will be next Thursday, Jan. 12th (and it might actually get

bumped back to the 13th, due to an editorial logjam at Page 2). I'm hoping

at some point to get them to make it once a week, instead of every two

weeks, but obviously I'm not the one who gets to make those decisions.

The good news, however, is that the people who run ESPN Motion (which is

the web site's video component) and ESPN360 (some sort of proprietary

broadband project, which I frankly don't know much about -- maybe some of

you do..?) are interested in turning Uni Watch watch into a "production" of

some sort. It's not yet clear how this would be structured, but there are

lots of fun possibilities involving video, narration, etc. This could get

off the ground soon -- maybe even as early as next week, although more

likely a few weeks further down the road. More details to come as I get

them.

Thanks, as always, for everyone's support and interest -- Uni Watch readers

are the coolest.

Cheers,

Paul

The dastards!

You know, I did a google search of my name as a joke to show my friend how you can come up in all sorts of things, and I found my name in a Uni Watch article! How weird. I guess he must have acknowledged something I wrote to him about, but I don't ever remember reading it. Unfortunately you can only get to archived articles if you have the insider.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

so uni watch could become a regular TV show, that would be sweet. I mean they did have a weekly show that was entirely about basketball shoes last year, why not one about uniforms.

PvO6ZWJ.png

You know, I did a google search of my name as a joke to show my friend how you can come up in all sorts of things, and I found my name in a Uni Watch article!  How weird.  I guess he must have acknowledged something I wrote to him about, but I don't ever remember reading it.  Unfortunately you can only get to archived articles if you have the insider.

Here's a trick on that old stuff. Hit the "cache" link and you'll usually get it whether it's subscription or not. Here's the part that mentions your name...

Award decals (or stencils, or helmets) aren't allowed in the NFL. But there's been one similar example in Major League Baseball: the 1979 Pirates, whose caps featured gold merit stars. The stars were the brainchild of -- and were awarded by -- team captain Willie Stargell. He used plain store-bought star patches during that first season, then switched to specially designed "Stargell Stars," with an "S" in the center, for 1980.

The stars disappeared from the Pirates' caps when Stargell retired in 1982 (except for a brief revival on the '79 throwback unis that the team wore in 2003). But that didn't stop Stargell from handing out the stars at various functions, which he continued doing for years as an inspirational gesture. Baseball Hall of Fame researcher Bill Deane once told Uni Watch, "Moments before Stargell's 1988 induction into the Hall, he affixed gold stars to the staff ribbons of many Hall employees. I still have mine." The stars became so closely associated with Stargell that they were even reprised on the memorial patch that the Pirates wore after he died in 2001.

So there you have it: Woody and Willie -- an odd couple, joined at the head. Or at least the headwear ornament.

(XXXXL-sized thanks to all who contributed info, including Jim Pollaro, Michael Cooper, Wilson York, Gary Streeting, Tim Isgro, Bill Hightower, Tim Moore, Jeff Johnson, David Joseph Grindem, Joshua Davidson, Cory Lavalette, Paul Schatz, David Gordon, John Fred, Matt Huber, Rajan Merchant, Robert Birrell, Michael Swerbinsky, Pedro Naranjo, Jeff Knowlton, Ryan Mackman, David Gilmore, Glenn Victor, Will Buker, Matt Cole, Eric Wolfe, Steve Krupin, Andrew Ramunno, John Ogren, Cory LeFevre, Jeff Vest, Justin Strickland, Joy Rogers, Noah Abbott, Jason M. Olmstead, Matt Hassell and Trevor Carah.)

(XXXXL-sized thanks to all who contributed info, including Jim Pollaro, Michael Cooper, Wilson York, Gary Streeting, Tim Isgro, Bill Hightower, Tim Moore, Jeff Johnson, David Joseph Grindem, Joshua Davidson, Cory Lavalette, Paul Schatz, David Gordon, John Fred, Matt Huber, Rajan Merchant, Robert Birrell, Michael Swerbinsky, Pedro Naranjo, Jeff Knowlton, Ryan Mackman, David Gilmore, Glenn Victor, Will Buker, Matt Cole, Eric Wolfe, Steve Krupin, Andrew Ramunno, John Ogren, Cory LeFevre, Jeff Vest, Justin Strickland, Joy Rogers, Noah Abbott, Jason M. Olmstead, Matt Hassell and Trevor Carah.)

How many of these people are on this board? At least five? More?

Here's a trick on that old stuff. Hit the "cache" link and you'll usually get it whether it's subscription or not.

What "cache" link are you referring to?????

on a google search result you'll see an option to see a cached version of the page

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

That cache link also helps get around many office "Access Denied" programs.

Don't tell my boss. B)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That cache link also helps get around many office "Access Denied" programs.

Don't tell my boss. B)

Woah...That's a great trick. Thank you very much. I can't wait to try it on Monday.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived