Mlb alts

jkrdevil

I'm watching the Cubs game and I'm realized that they're wearing their alts. And then I relize that every road team today wore an alt. Why??????? Why, can't these teams wear their REAL uniforms. Don't get me wrong I'm not against alts. but I think they should be worn every now and then, and never during the post-season. And don't give me the excuse that they got to play tomorrow, because the Yankees only have 2 unis and they get along fine.

It's just bothering that all these teams are wearing alts. I hope we don't see the Red Sox in red tomorrow.

I'm watching the Cubs game and I'm realized that they're wearing their alts. And then I relize that every road team today wore an alt. Why??????? Why, can't these teams wear their REAL uniforms. Don't get me wrong I'm not against alts. but I think they should be worn every now and then, and never during the post-season. And don't give me the excuse that they got to play tomorrow, because the Yankees only have 2 unis and they get along fine.

It's just bothering that all these teams are wearing alts. I hope we don't see the Red Sox in red tomorrow.

I agree with you completely... it especially irks me during the World Series, we should see the team's official road or home jersey during  each and every World Series, and maybe even post-season game.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I'm going the other way on this one...I LOVED seeing the Marlins, Twins and Cubs out in their alternates, both yesterday and today.

It seemed like last year there was some kind of ban on alts in the post season,with only the Twins, if I remember correctly, wearing theirs.

I expect to see the Twins in blue over the weekend, and I'll enjoy every Yankee-beating moment of it!

I actually love the fact that someone brought this topic up... I absolutely HATE the alternates... I agree that if they must be worn, NEVER, and I stress NEVER should they be worn in postseason. I have yet to ever see the Braves wear an alternate in postseason, and my beloved Yankees get all of their "alternate' aspirations out in the exhibition season. Damn the man who invented the alternates...

I actually love the fact that someone brought this topic up... I absolutely HATE the alternates... I agree that if they must be worn, NEVER, and I stress NEVER should they be worn in postseason. I have yet to ever see the Braves wear an alternate in postseason, and my beloved Yankees get all of their "alternate' aspirations out in the exhibition season. Damn the man who invented the alternates...

those jerseys you speak of (Braves, Yanks) would be called BP jerseys, so of course they aren't gonna wear em for a regular game.  only two teams i recall doing that are the Dodgers and Expos.  Dodgers a little bit after they changed their roads, and the Expos last year.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I don't mind the alternates, especially since most teams like Minnesota and Florida have crappy looking roads anyway. I always thought of them as a kind of good luck charm, but I don't know if any teams wear them for that anymore or not. Oh, and Minnesota needs to drop the "Minnesota" alternates and just keep the home one.

I agree with Chazberg on the Twins alts. I'm a die-hard Twins fan, but I prefer the home alt with Twins on it. I'm not really bothered that they're wearing alts in the playoffs. I tend to like them better than the normal home and road unis.

I have been pondering this since this thread was first posted, and to be honest, I don't care that much. Maybe its coz I am British and don't really understand the traditions of baseball and stuff, but most alts nowadays are fairly tasteful, so I don't have a problem with it to be honest!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I disagree on the Cubs. I'm not a big fan of the current alts (or the walking bear logo, obviously -- see left) but for me, the blues harken back to the '84 and '89 playoff seasons, when they wore blue as their primary roads anyway (even the '98 wild card season was they year the started wearing 'em). As long as they don't show up at home, I'm fine with the use of the blue. Nothing bugs me more than seeing the cubs wear anything but the pinstripes at Wrigley.

The starting pitcher makes the decision all season long as to what jersey to wear.  Why take that obvious mental advantage for a pitcher away in the post-season?  For example, I've never seen Mark Prior wear the blue (home or road), and I'd bet on them wearing the pin-stripes tonight.  On the other hand, Kerry Wood likes the pin-stripes at home, but always chooses the blue on the road.  Carlos Zambrano is more of a fan of the blue, as is Matt Clement.  Shawn Estes almost always wore the pin-stripes, and the "normal" road jersey.

From a personal standpoint, I'm not much of a fan of the blue jersey.  I do however like the walking bear logo, and the National League patch.  I would rather see an alt with the walking bear patch on a pin-striped jersey (I had one like that a few years ago...).  Problem there, it would have to be white, and then they couldn't ever wear it on the road.  I suppose they don't have much choice for an alt, in terms of color combos (blue jersey).  For what it's worth, basicaly the same jersey (their batting-practice), in darker blue looks nice.

There was recently a Cubs "game worn" 1994 Sosa alternate jersey with the large script "Cubs" front that I thought was really sharp looking. That would be a nice style for them to return to.

There was recently a Cubs "game worn" 1994 Sosa alternate jersey with the large script "Cubs" front that I thought was really sharp looking. That would be a nice style for them to return to.

you mean the blue one with the red 'Cuba'? :;):  i remember that one just being a BP jersey.

2016cubscreamsig.png

I like that logo, too, Discrim, but ain't that the Rockford Cubbies old logo? Doubt they'd take a cue from a former Class A affiliate.

part of it(rest of it was the R)...i've thought for a while now that people would put this up with the old cartoon oriole as 'so cartoony it's good'...cus heck, i know i like the pitching cub more than the walking one they use...

cub alts in order of discrim's preference:*

1) rockford's pitcher cub

2) madcub

3) 94-96 bear

4) current fullbodied cub

5) original cub head

*the views and opinions of discrimihater are not neccesarily the views and opinions of other chicago cubs fans or other members of the Chris Creamer message board.  discrim's just spouting off usually.

2016cubscreamsig.png

you mean the blue one with the red 'Cuba'? :;): i remember that one just being a BP jersey.

Not being a Cubs follower, I really didn't know, but this item looked to be a game-style, rather than BP jersey. It was Russell, knit, had the 125th patch, NOB and proper game-style numbers. I STILL don't believe it was game-worn, in part because I believe that ALL superstar jerseys on eBay are fake until proven otherwise, but did think it was a pretty sweet jersey

I believe the Cubs did have a blue alternate in 1994-96 with the 'Cuba' script, although I'm not sure they wore it very often.

BTW, the Cubs wore the blue alt at home last night and lost. Clement should have picked the pinstripes, but I'm not sure he ever has. Still, those blues don't belong at home and hopefully if the Cubs rebound and make it to the next round they'll be superstitious about it and stick with the home jerseys at home.

And, Discrimihater, I can't argue with those picks, they're all decent. Of course, the madcub is my top preference, but I always liked that Rockford Cubbies cap with the R... unfortunately they didn't stick around long enough for me to pick one up.

Archived