Artest to Clippers

nsentv

According to an article at nbcsports.com, Hawks forward Al Harrington says that the Pacers are almost done with a deal to send Ron Artest to the Clippers for Corey Maggette.

Here's the article.

Even with Artest, they'll still be behind Phoenix. Well when Amare comes back that is

I must be the only one that sees this as a horrible move for the Clips.

Artest has a major ego issue, and with the way the Clips are finally playing this season, one has to wonder if he's going to screw with that team's chemistry.

That, and he'll deal with Kobe for the award of L.A's biggest egomaniac.

Here's the whole article:

NBCSports.com news services

Updated: 7:09 p.m. ET Jan. 12, 2006

The Indiana Pacers are growing accustomed to all the trade rumors involving Ron Artest.

The stories have come so fast, and without substantiation, the Pacers are just ignoring them.

?It?s good for us to get a rhythm and stay with the guys we have and understand that these are the guys who are going to be here,? Stephen Jackson said Thursday. ?We have to get it done with these guys. We can?t worry about who is coming in and when they are going to make a trade.?

The Pacers need to just play, said Jackson, who usually has been the team?s No. 2 scorer in the 16 games since Artest last played in early December.

?I?ve heard of some trades, but none of them have probably been true,? Jackson said. ?I?ve talked to Ron, but it really hasn?t been on my mind. I wish him the best and hope for the best for this team.?

The latest rumor had Artest, who has been inactive since last month, heading to the Los Angeles Clippers in a trade for forward Corey Maggette, who has been out with a torn left foot ligament since early December. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution cited Atlanta Hawks forward Al Harrington, who used to play for the Pacers, as its source.

Harrington told the paper that he heard from people in Indiana that the trade was close to being finalized. That would finally end the turbulent era of Artest in Indiana.

"Yeah, that would get it out of the water and off the Internet and all that nonsense," Harrington told the J-C. "But I've known for a couple of weeks now that nothing was going to happen with me. (Hawks general manager Billy Knight) told me that if there was going to be anything done he'd let me know. So it's been off of my mind for a while now."

Harrington told the J-C that he expects Artest to make whatever team he joins dangerous.

"Any team with a sane Ron Artest is going to be tough to deal with," Harrington said. "Any team with he's on with his mind right, is going to the playoffs and is going to make some noise. So it'll be good for Ron and for the Clippers."

Earlier, there were rumors Artest would go to Golden State in a package deal that included Warriors forward Troy Murphy.

But Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said Thursday he had no word on a deal.

Artest?s agent, Mark Stevens, declined comment. A message left by The Associated Press with Rob Pelinka, Maggette?s agent, was not immediately returned.

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh was at Thursday?s practice, but did not talk with reporters. He has consistently declined to comment on trade rumors and said the team would have an announcement when a deal had been completed.

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh told the Rocky Mountain News that 10 teams were still in the running for Artest and will "narrow it down in the next couple of days."

The Rocky Mountain News also cited a source saying that the Nuggets were among the top three candidates to get Artest, and another is the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Artest, the 2003-04 NBA defensive player of the year, was averaging 19.4 points when he voiced his desire to be traded last month. He later recanted that statement, but team president Larry Bird and Walsh have said they are no longer interested in having him play for Indiana.

Meanwhile, Artest told The Indianapolis Star he was eager to have the team complete a deal. He hasn?t played in a game since Dec. 6 and is not welcome at the team?s practices.

?You hear about them, but you never know what?s true,? Artest told the Star. ?I?m just waiting to find out which team I?ll be playing for.?

Injuries, illness and the absence of Artest have compounded the struggles of the Pacers, who were expected to contend for the Eastern Conference championship when the season began. The Pacers, who have won three of their last four games, are 19-14 and trail Central Division leader Detroit by 8½ games heading into Friday night?s visit by Washington.

Jermaine O?Neal, who leads Indiana in scoring with a 21.8 average, looked surprised when told about the reported deal for Maggette.

?I really don?t want to comment about it. He?s hurting and is going to have about six more weeks off,? O?Neal said. ?I would prefer to have somebody who could play right away, but I don?t run the team. I just play the game and know that Donnie and those guys will make a decision over what?s best for the team.?

© 2006 NBC Sports.com

Wow this could make the Clippers actually a winner.

Even as a type that it seems weird, of course with the Clippers legacy somehow it will fail I mean Lucy has to pull the ball away right Charlie Brown never connects, neither will the Clippers.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I was hoping he would go to the Warriors

And why is Al Harrington reporting trades for a team he is not on anymore?

He's getting ready for a broadcasting career, after he wins his 9 titles in Atlanta. :rolleyes:

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Wow this could make the Clippers actually a winner.

Even as a type that it seems weird, of course with the Clippers legacy somehow it will fail I mean Lucy has to pull the ball away right Charlie Brown never connects, neither will the Clippers.

The Clippers are doing better this year anyway..I don't think they need Artest..I don't know if an unstable egomaniac is the missing piece they are looking for..I think Artest is poison for a young rebuilding team

Cassell was a good add

Archived