Maine Black Bears -- Why No Black?

leopard88

I've always wondered how a team called the Black Bears could have NO BLACK on its uniforms (though the bear head logo in SNBSlugger's sig looks like it might have some black trim in addition to the bear head). The colors are light blue and dark blue. Is there a particular reason how/why this has come to be that anyone can fill us in on?

P.S. Was my topic heading sufficiently clear to satisfy everyone's tastes? :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

It's just one of those things.

There's a Greenville High in Michigan with the nickname YellowJackets. Yet, when we played them in football, their uniforms were all purple, no green, no yellow... :wacko:

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

The Bear in the logo is black, foo! :D

Actually I wonder this myself.

I love our hockey jerseys but our football unis are stupid.

Navy jerseys/Navy pants for home with white numbers with a powder blue dropshadow and then white jerseys navy pants with navy numbers on the road. Both sets feature black shoes. There are no pants stripes and the belts for the pants are powder blue. Instead of having the Black Bear head on the helmet it's the "Maine" script instead.

Except for hockey, our uniforms suck.

mainescarf.png

Good to have a nother Mainer on these boards too........Nice Sig.........the Men's Basketball still use the powder blue for home???

Sometimes I forget they have a basketball team.

That's right. The home jerseys are powder blue vest-style with white letters/numbers and the roads are white with navy. Those home jerseys make the team look like a whole squad of ballers playing in their pajamas.

View the horror of UMaine hoops jerseys!!

Ahoy, fellow Pirates fan!

mainescarf.png

Maine also wears the powder blue hoop jerseys on the road, on occasion.

When they've played Northeastern in hoops Boston they have worn their "jammies". I was told that when they play a weekend series, they sometimes bring both the light and dark blue jersies with them and wear them both.

well if the have dark blue collars on the neck and shoulders it wont look as bad.........and that Frist place pirates to you :D

lilben77: Yes, first place indeed!

I got to 7 or 8 games a year down in Portland. I had a Pirates black jersey done for me with my name and number on it. It seems every time I'm in the concession line I hear whispers behind me "Who the hell is Baxter?" Apparently customization is still a foreign concept to some citizens of our great state.

jab8281965: I didn't know that fact about bringing both sets of jerseys. The hoops program up here doesn't get much of a following, save those couple of years when the women's team made the NCAA tourney.

One year, and they may still do this even I don't know, you had to purchase a certain number of UMaine hoops tickets to get advanced seating for some of the big hockey games against UNH and BU in Orono. That is how desperate they are/were to get people to watch the basketball team.

mainescarf.png

I've always wondered how a team called the Black Bears could have NO BLACK on its uniforms

God, I read this and I see a parallel between this and the argument with Apple Jacks.

EDIT: Not being immature or trying to say this argument is lame. Quite the opposite, just noting how there not being any black in the color scheme seems to be the best way to go.

Could this be another COLLEGIATE situation where the schools colors were determined before their athletic teams earned nicknames?

My undergrad school is Cornell College- our colors are Purple and White while our nickname is the Rams and I have yet to see a purple ram but I know that the schools colors were picked in the 1860s while the nickname Rams wasn't noted until well into the 20th century. . .

fade.gif

The Bear in the logo is black, foo! :D

Actually I wonder this myself.

I love our hockey jerseys but our football unis are stupid.

Navy jerseys/Navy pants for home with white numbers with a powder blue dropshadow and then white jerseys navy pants with navy numbers on the road. Both sets feature black shoes. There are no pants stripes and the belts for the pants are powder blue. Instead of having the Black Bear head on the helmet it's the "Maine" script instead.

Except for hockey, our uniforms suck.

I love the Maine hockey jerseys. While I really can't stand the Black Bears for a history of ending Michigan's season, the jerseys are beautiful.

spikes.jpg

Could this be another COLLEGIATE situation where the schools colors were determined before their athletic teams earned nicknames?

My undergrad school is Cornell College- our colors are Purple and White while our nickname is the Rams and I have yet to see a purple ram but I know that the schools colors were picked in the 1860s while the nickname Rams wasn't noted until well into the 20th century. . .

It could well be. I think that is a pretty common situation (both the mismatched colors and the colors predating the nickname).

At my alma mater, Lafayette, teams were known as the Maroon until some time in the 1920s. According to the various media guides I have at home (links not available, sorry), the sports editor of the college newspaper at that time decided the teams needed a nickname (or at least a new one) and was inspired by the many animal nicknames in use. He apparently thought "Leopards" sound good because of the alliteration and was pretty unique. Thus he sort of single-handedly named the teams the Leopards, years after they started using maroon and white as team colors.

And, no, I don't think there are any maroon and white leopards in nature, just as there are no purple (LSU) or blue and white (Memphis) tigers or any blue and white (Penn State) mountain lions. :P In those cases, however, I don't which came first (except that Penn State's colors were pink and black at one point).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Well, Northeastern State University's (Tahlequah, Oklahoma) athletic teams are called the Redmen (or Lady Reds)...colors: Green and White.

Someone, somewhere will complain somehow that Redmen (Lady Reds) wearing green and white is somehow an insult to and you fill in the blank___________ ! Me I'm not sure if it's an insult to Elmo or to Martians. :lol:

maine's home and road uniforms are my favorite jerseys in all of sports... not sure why.

and i completely despise the alternate.

I own a Maine hockey road (navy) jersey and bought the new alternate the night they debuted them when I was at the game. It was a total impulse buy, and it looks better on my girlfriend than it does on me. :)

mainescarf.png

well i saw highlights of the Maine/Vermont game and Maine was in white, so maybe they did away with the PJ's or maybe dare i say :o a alt???.................y dont the Pirates have a Red Atl???, it be better then black for the road/home(what ever they do from home/away i lost track)

Archived