Lemieux to announce retirement

Jigga

Had a feeling this was coming....

You could kinda tell on the NBC broadcast when he sat in with Emrick and JD..when they asked him about when he'd be back on the ice, he seemed kinda evasive about it.

I think he's doing the right thing.

Thanks for the memories, 66

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

When I was little, The big four players for me were Wayne Gretzky, Brett Hull, Mark Messier and Mario Lemieux, and I always wondered who would take over the NHL once these guys retired. Well, now Mario is gone, third retirement is always the hardest.

Can me pessimistic, but I think this could be the last straw for teh Penguins in Pittsburgh. They don't have Mario, Palffy, one of their big free agent signings is gone. The team has a terrible record, even after all that, and they still don't have that arena. If someone buys the team, I doubt that it will be an owner interested in keeping the team where it is.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that they could stay, but it would take someone with deep pockets, willing to upgrade the arena and willing to wait to grow a winning team, since buying one has obviously not worked out this season

When I was little, The big four players for me were Wayne Gretzky, Brett Hull, Mark Messier and Mario Lemieux, and I always wondered who would take over the NHL once these guys retired. Well, now Mario is gone, third retirement is always the hardest.

Can me pessimistic, but I think this could be the last straw for teh Penguins in Pittsburgh. They don't have Mario, Palffy, one of their big free agent signings is gone. The team has a terrible record, even after all that, and they still don't have that arena. If someone buys the team, I doubt that it will be an owner interested in keeping the team where it is.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that they could stay, but it would take someone with deep pockets, willing to upgrade the arena and willing to wait to grow a winning team, since buying one has obviously not worked out this season

Yzerman is next...followed by Sakic...and Luc Robatalli (sp?)...some of the dominant players of the 90's who brought success for their teams. Chelios isnt far behind, same with Belfour and Hasek...geez, so many greats are just about finished....

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Yzerman is next...followed by Sakic...and Luc Robatalli (sp?)...some of the dominant players of the 90's who brought success for their teams. Chelios isnt far behind, same with Belfour and Hasek...geez, so many greats are just about finished....

I had thought that Luc Robitaille had already retired. Sakic has another season or two left in him (though the Avs have announced they won't resign him) Sakic and Yzerman are potentially the last players in the NHL that can claim to have played their entire career for a single team/franchise. (now that Mario has announced he's gone, and you can count Modano too)

Sakic and Yzerman have been slowing down for some time though, Sakic's numbers are very un-Sakic like, and Yzer has been hurting for a long time.

Sakic has another season or two left in him (though the Avs have announced they won't resign him)

When did they announce that? Kinda surprising.

ETA:

On October 20, 2005, Joe Sakic learned that the Colorado Avalanche will not pick up his option for the 2006-2007 NHL season making the star forward a free agent after the 2005-06 season. The Avalanche may still re-sign Sakic.

Sakic has another season or two left in him (though the Avs have announced they won't resign him)

When did they announce that? Kinda surprising.

i thought I had seenit on TSN a month or two ago. they said that they weren't going to pick up Rob Blake either (either him or another vet with a big contract) to get more cap space and rebuild the team around the younger players.

EDIT: thought, that might just be them not picking up their option year, so that their contract can expire, then they resign them for less later, and get more cap room

I don't see Yzerman playing next year. I do, however, see Sakic playing another few years. There may be some veteran defenseman hanging em up soon, I think. Leetch, Desjardins, Chelios, Zubov(he still plays, right?), Rob Blake and Gonchar are all getting up there. Brind'Amour, LeClair, and Roenick are some more guys I could see retiring within the next few.

:notworthy: Well I'm sad to see him go more than everyone else. He is my all-time favorite hockey player. When I was a kid back in around 1987, South Florida had no hockey team. From 1987-1993 I was a Pittsburgh Penguins fan because of Mario Lemieux. I still hold a place in my heart for the Pens and for Super Mario. It's tough to see all of our idols unable to succeed in this new NHL. It makes you wonder if it's really a good thing to change the rules. Maybe it's faster, but we'll be left with no-name guys. I hope Mario does well in anything he may encounter in his life from here on. He's a class act and a great hockey player. The best in my opinion. :hockeysmiley::down::peace:

lemieux_lg.jpg

:notworthy:

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Man, I remember when he came back from cancer and scored in his first game back. Incredible hockey player who will be missed. Thanks Mario!!!

It's tough to see all of our idols unable to succeed in this new NHL. It makes you wonder if it's really a good thing to change the rules.

I don't think it has anything to do with the "new" NHL. These guys were just at the end of their ropes. Time has a way of catching up with you. The rule changes didn't force these guys to retire, it was their time to hang em up.

SignatureNHL.png

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"

Man, I remember when he came back from cancer and scored in his first game back. Incredible hockey player who will be missed. Thanks Mario!!!
It's tough to see all of our idols unable to succeed in this new NHL. It makes you wonder if it's really a good thing to change the rules.

I don't think it has anything to do with the "new" NHL. These guys were just at the end of their ropes. Time has a way of catching up with you. The rule changes didn't force these guys to retire, it was their time to hang em up.

Well sure looks like Gordie Howe wont be making another come back anytime soon!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

don't forget, Mario is 40 years old. Few players are able to play up until that age. yes, it is tough to watch our favorites that are floundering, but many of them are very old for professional atheletes

It's sad to see him go out this way, not being able to play a full season, but it's better that he doesn't do something wreckless and try to "play through" a heart aliment. Look no further than Jiri Fischer or Sergei Zholtok to see he's doing the right thing.

I've read that he is putting the team up for sale so he won't have to be the one to move it. The situation there is looking pretty dire despite the optimism generated by the arrival of Crosby.

The Recchi/Le Clair/Palffy/Lemieux combo sure has been dismal.

Time to dig those Lemieux jerseys out of the back of the closet and get 'em up on ebay. There's going to be a feeding frenzy the next two weeks!

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

The writings been on the wall ever since Mario went out with the heart problems a month ago or so. Lemieux was great for the game and goes down as #2 of all-time in my book. It's been a sad year in hockey seeing the likes on Messier, Hull, and now Super Mario go. :(

6uXNWAo.png

Archived