Poll: Which Patch?

BallWonk

Which Patch Is Better?  

138 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Found a place that will make a custom baseball jersey for my fantasy team, the Old Town Rhubarbs. Everything is set, except for the shoulder patch. I want to incorporate my 2006 season motto, "Faugh A Ballagh," the Irish battlecry of "Clear the Way!", and either my rhubarb pie primary logo or my fighting guy secondary logo.

Please vote for the better of the two, and feel free to comment with any suggestions.

Thanks!

20082614447.png

If I remember correctly ? and it's very possible that I don't, BallWonk, so please correct me if need be ? the jerseys have the Rhubarbs script on them, yes? So I would tend to go for a little more variety and use the fighting guy secondary. Seems a little more Γ  propos given the meaning of the motto in there, too.

Indeed, the uniforms are white with the Rhubarbs script across the chest and green piping just above the bottom of the sleeves. In my original idea for the uniform, the fighting guy all by himself is the patch for the home uniform, but the fact that my team's only winning season came the one year I adopted a season motto -- ".506 or Fight!" -- made me think maybe I should add a slogan to the patch.

Also, I have been corrected; the motto should be spelled "FΓ‘g an Bealach". The spelling I used is from a famous regiment of Irish immigrants in the Civil War; they seem to have spelled the battlecry phonetically rather than with actual Gaelic.

Finally, the fonts are MLB Tuscan, available for download here on the board if you search, and Jensen Old Style. The "Rhubarbs" script is a custom creation based significantly, but not wholly, on the Milwaukee Brewers script.

20082614447.png

I say go with a patch of a pink banana. 'Cuz I mean really, when are you ever gonna see a pink banana on a baseball jersey?

WTF? :blink:

I went for the fighting guy. More action is good.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either. I think the Rhubarb patch is a little better, but I'm with officeglenn. Go with the Fighting Guy patch to add some spice to it. Both are really cool though.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Β 

I say go with a patch of a pink banana. 'Cuz I mean really, when are you ever gonna see a pink banana on a baseball jersey?

OK, there buddy that has nothing to do with rhubarbs....

I like variety so i went with the fighting guy logo.

Neither does a guy showing off his arm. I'm just saying, it'd be fun to see a pink banana (or any other random object) on a jersey. Less boring and uniform, ya know?

201160034_f4c2ccdd98_o.png228795922_2c1d682c64_o.png

OK, there buddy that has nothing to do with rhubarbs....

I like variety so i went with the fighting guy logo.

Neither does a guy showing off his arm. I'm just saying, it'd be fun to see a pink banana (or any other random object) on a jersey. Less boring and uniform, ya know?

In my own defense, he word "rhubarb" can mean either a savory vegetable commonly used as a pie filling or an argument, scuffle, or scrum. In baseball, "rhubarb" more frequently refers to a fight than to a vegetable. So the fighting guy secondary is a reference to the second definition of "rhubarb." He's rolling up his sleeves, see, as if to join a rhubarb on the field.

20082614447.png

In my own defense, he word "rhubarb" can mean either a savory vegetable commonly used as a pie filling or an argument, scuffle, or scrum. In baseball, "rhubarb" more frequently refers to a fight than to a vegetable.

Well, some of us got that without having it explained to us.

Others who didn't get it, well they probably have a limited vocabulary to begin with and think a pink banana is a good idea for a baseball logo. Personally, I think it's a dangerously phallic thing to to admit you think would be fun... :therock:

The Internet - No License Required

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I like the concept a lot, but the execution is lacking. In the first logo, it looks like his fist is detached from his arm. At first glance I didn't realize what was going on there. As for the idea of rolling up his sleeves, it looks like he's wearing a short sleeved shirt anyway. As for the second logo, the stitches on the pie are too forced. At first glance I thought it was a baseball, then I realized it was supposed to be a pie. In my mind it would be better if it were just a pie rather than a pie looking like a baseball. Also, in my mind, the Rhubarbs script would look better in white than in green. It kinda gets lost when it overlaps the green circle.

So... in conclusion, I don't have a favorite because neither does great things for me, but i really DO like the concept, and the colors are perfect.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

First off, much thanks to Hurricane David for your detailed critique. You inspired me to try again with the fighting guy's fist.

The many helpful responses have led me to combine various thematic elements of both of my patch designs into a new, simpler one. All I'm left to decide is what color to use in the background area atop the patch. I've mocked it up with gold, red, tan, and silver. The red and tan are Rhubarbs team colors, but I worry that the tan makes the whole thing too washed out, and I'm not a big fan of how the "Old Town" lettering works with the red. (The arched "Old Town" lettering is my road jersey script; on the road jersey it's green lettering on tan with no outline.)

I'd sure appreciate any feedback folks could offer, particularly with respect to the new patch's background cover. Feel free to suggest any other color that would work with the green, red, and tan scheme.

barbs-patches-color.png

20082614447.png

The new fist is a lot better. Oh, and I just realized the Old Town/Alexandria connection. Duh me. I really like your original colors better, though.

First off, that sig of yours is pretty much the coolest thing ever. Well, top five, anyway, right up there with cheesesteaks, Abraham Lincoln, the Hammond organ, and baseball triples.

But question: what do you mean by "original colors"? Except for the background at the top of the new patch, the patch uses my "original colors" of A's green, Dodgers red, and Astros tan. Even the fighting guy's skin is the same Astros tan as the pie crust. Even then, two of the patches use only my "original colors," with either Astros tan or Dodgers red in the background. So I suspect you have a valuable critique for me that I'm just not understanding.

20082614447.png

Sorry, I should have clarified... I mean I still like the original colors of the red background, ala your very first patch at the top of this post... therefore in your latest round, I think the one in the upper right (red background) is best. The grey background is just forcing another color into the mix that doesn't need to be there... same thing with the one in the upper left.

Oh, and as far as my sig, I have an actual ticket from that day (the game right after the "miracle") so I just scanned it in, vectorized it, and changed the start time to reflect the "miracle."

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

Top right. No stunning critique -- just my opinion.

Most Liked Content of the DayΒ -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017Β  Β  Β /////Β  Β  Β Β Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005Β Β πŸ™ƒ

Top right. No stunning critique -- just my opinion.

Thanks. You and HD will be pleased to know that's what I went with. I'll post pics in my other thread on the topic when I have a finished jersey, which should be later this month.

20082614447.png

Archived