Switzerland Ice Hockey Jersey

spyboy1

I have a Switzerland Ice Hockey jersey and am not sure what player to add to it.

There are very few Swiss players in the NHL so my choices are limited.

The most obvious choices are goaltenders David Aebischer from Colorado and Martin Gerber from Carolina.

If I go with Aebischer, he played in the Salt Lake Olympics and wore #40, which looks cool in that font and it's not a number that's very common for any player, so I kind of like that.

Aebischer.jpg

Gerber gives me other options though. He played in the 2005 World Championships, wearing the unusual for a goalie #26, which also looks even better in that font. Also, he had his name on the back as "M. GERBER", which is cool with the first initial. Plus, I could also add the "Tissot" sponsorship patches to the shoulders to make it look very "Euro".

Gerber.jpg

As for now, Aebischer is the better known player, but Gerber is playing very well for the high flying Hurricanes, and could end up being more accomplished in the long run, as Aebischer does not seem to be getting a lot of respect in Colorado these days.

I'm really not aware of any Swiss skaters that I should also consider, but am open to other suggestions if I've overlooked someone obvious.

Opinions?

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

There was a great little goalie for Switzerland a few years ago called Pauli Jaks. He was very big in the net for Suisse when they won the bronze medal at the World juniors back in 1998, I think it was.

I mean, if you wanted to go retro. Aebischer and Gerber are about the only notable Swiss players in the NHL, although I believe Mark Streit in Montreal is also from Switzerland.

Homer%20Simpson%20Sabres.jpg

I'd go with Aebischer. What is "unusual" about #26 for a goalie, though?

goalies generally wear either 1 or something in the 30s or 40s. 20s are somewhat rare among netminders, the most notable being Belfour's 20 and Hexy's 27.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

goalies generally wear either 1 or something in the 30s or 40s. 20s are somewhat rare among netminders, the most notable being Belfour's 20 and Hexy's 27.

Goalies almost always wore 1 back in the days when teams only had one goalie. Then, once teams started realizing the benefits of having a backup, they would give that backup goalie a number at the end of their numbering system, as all the intervening numbers would have been taken by forwards and defencemen. I've seen pictures from the 50s of goalies wearing #22, and the like.

#20 for a goalie seems to be a common European thing. Belfour's #20 is, of course, in honour of his goaltender coach from Chicago and idol, Vladislav Tretiak.

I'd go with Aebischer.  What is "unusual" about #26 for a goalie, though?

Nabakov #20

Turk Broda #23

Felix Potvin #29

Ken Dryden #29

Martin Gerber #29

Marc-Andre Fleury #29

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Nabakov #20

Turk Broda #23

Felix Potvin #29

Ken Dryden #29

Martin Gerber #29

Marc-Andre Fleury #29

Potvin also wore #28 with the Islanders (and, I think, with LA and Boston, too). He also, and this is anal of me, wore #55 the day he was traded to NYI as the Isles were on the road and only had a #55 jersey for him to wear.

I also didn't know that Broda wore #23. Only a Leaf fan would know that, but I never had you pegged as a Leafs fan, Mr. Neon Matrix...

Nabakov #20

Turk Broda #23

Felix Potvin #29

Ken Dryden #29

Martin Gerber #29

Marc-Andre Fleury #29

Potvin also wore #28 with the Islanders (and, I think, with LA and Boston, too). He also, and this is anal of me, wore #55 the day he was traded to NYI as the Isles were on the road and only had a #55 jersey for him to wear.

I also didn't know that Broda wore #23. Only a Leaf fan would know that, but I never had you pegged as a Leafs fan, Mr. Neon Matrix...

I cheated, I looked at the Leafs All-Time numbers list, and just picked out names I recognized under the numbers. There were probably a few that slipped under my radar, but they were minor players who probably never did anything. :P

What I want to find is the player who had the largest # on their jersey from any team...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Olivier Michaud played one game for the Habs a couple years ago against Edmonton as an emergency call up (and won, the bastard!). Michaud wore #95 for that game. If you're looking for a more regular tender to wear a high number, look no further than Daren Puppa, who wore #93 when he was with Tampa Bay.

As for skaters, I think the highest number ever worn was #98 by Brian Lawton when he was with the North Stars. A couple players may have worn #99 at one point or another, but they never amounted to anything.

IIRC, the Blackhawks had a wing named Reto von Arx a couple years ago. I guess he is both out of the NHL and not on the Swiss Olympic team. Still, it's a great name.

Left with Aebischer or Gerber, I'd take Aebischer. But with the way Gerber and the 'Canes are playing, Gerber's not a terrible choice either. As much as I don't like the way it looks, "Eurofying" the jersey with sponsor patches wouldn't look terrible for this sweater.

Me? I'm a longest name possible when dealing with obscurity. So my vote goes to Swiss defenseman Severin Blindenbacher. Don't know his number, but his name will run elbow-to-elbow on the sweater!

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

IIRC, the Blackhawks had a wing named Reto von Arx a couple years ago. I guess he is both out of the NHL and not on the Swiss Olympic team. Still, it's a great name.

Left with Aebischer or Gerber, I'd take Aebischer. But with the way Gerber and the 'Canes are playing, Gerber's not a terrible choice either. As much as I don't like the way it looks, "Eurofying" the jersey with sponsor patches wouldn't look terrible for this sweater.

Me? I'm a longest name possible when dealing with obscurity. So my vote goes to Swiss defenseman Severin Blindenbacher. Don't know his number, but his name will run elbow-to-elbow on the sweater!

Yea, I remember von Arx, as I had a shot at a game worn jersey of his once.

I'm trying to be true to this style of jersey that I own, which eliminates several of the older suggestions right off the bat.

"Blindenbacher" would probably blow the budget for the whole project, even more so than Aebischer. :wacko:

Also, thanks for getting back on the jersey topic after our detour into goalie numbers. ^_^

HansonsSig.jpg

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Spice things up a bit and go with a guy who was drafted into the NHL but never got there because of bad coaching decisions at the time...

#36 Pauli Jaks

There is a Minnesota Wild draft choice, Julien Sprunger who was #7 at the World Juniors in 2005 that I could go with.

If he ever makes the Wild, I'm a freakin' genius, light years ahead of my time. If not, I've all but runied my damn jersey... :hockeysmiley:

HansonsSig.jpg

Spice things up a bit and go with a guy who was drafted into the NHL but never got there because of bad coaching decisions at the time...

#36 Pauli Jaks

There is a Minnesota Wild draft choice, Julien Sprunger who was #7 at the World Juniors in 2005 that I could go with.

If he ever makes the Wild, I'm a freakin' genius, light years ahead of my time. If not, I've all but runied my damn jersey... :hockeysmiley:

At least with Jaks, you get one of the--if not the first--Swiss born player to be drafted.

Conversational piece, for both choices, really.

Archived