Big legit project-poss. paying gig

umlegend

OK, I decided to try it myself. Now I can get it on screen. It's ok, but it was done in paint, so...Also I couldn't get the "sword over the head" look right. Well, here is my very first ever logo creation post...

cent1.jpg

In war there is no prize for runner-up. -- Omar N. Bradley

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jdog's work, not mine.

I like these.  I'd recommend adding a grey road jersey and pants and a white outline around the logo on the hat and the black jersey for clarity.  I'd also recommend the road having red sleeves for consistancy.  The red buttons on the black jersey are different, they'd probably wind up as black or clear.

http://www.cnddesigns.com/scdragonsbaseball2.gif

I'm busy for the next couple days, but I'll make a page with just your stuff on it soon.

Well, I fixed my Stampede logo now with a more red color and discarded the gray in favor of black. I also have been working on some other of the logos. I did the Davison Cardinals and the Flushing Raiders.

Here is the fixed Central Stampede logo:

http://www.geocities.com/lightbluevale/stampede.html

Here is the Flushing Raiders:

http://www.geocities.com/lightbluevale/raiders.html

Here is the Davison Cardinals:

http://www.geocities.com/lightbluevale/cardinals.html

Let me know what you guys think.

Welcome, lightbluenc. You've obviously got some skills, so don't be offended if I nitpick or point out small things...

For the Stampede:

The eye is massive and the ear is tiny. I know Indian elephants have somewhat smaller ears, but large ears are things most people associate with elephants, and it'd be cool to see those emphasized. The use of negative space for the tusks is cool, but seems out of place in such an outline rich logo. The font is unique and cool, but the D definitely needs fixing, and the outline of the T shouldn't overlap the S. Great work so far, just needs a few adjustments.

For the Raiders:

The Pirate idea is a good one... way too much stagnancy here though... it looks like he's posing for the picture instead of posing a threat. Too much boring upper-body too... enlarge the text and move it up... some chest is okay, but once you start showing off the abs it becomes less Flushing Raiders and more Bowflex. The face is alright, but could use some work... almost too much detail. A little more contrasting colour variation would help too... maybe make the text a different colour.

For the Cardinals:

This is the weakest of the bunch IMHO. The abstract feel is different and unique, but it's virtually impossible to recognize the shape as a cardinal, even with the Davison Cardinals text underneath. Cardinals' beaks are not nearly as sharp as this makes it seem. The gold is underutilized, and the white does not emphasize the key points that would make it a cardinal (the eye, the texture, the beak) at all. Not to sound unduly harsh, but I know from seeing the elephant and pirate that you can do better.

Overall, you've done some very nice stuff, and I hope that these comments will be beneficial to your work.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Thanks for the helpful advice SyPhi. These are the kind of things I need to get better at my work. I see your point on all of the things you brought to my attention, now I can get on to fixing them. I'll work on them over the next day or two and post the results soon. I look forward to more feedback on all the rest of my stuff (if you don't mind :;):)

Thanks for the helpful advice SyPhi. These are the kind of things I need to get better at my work. I see your point on all of the things you brought to my attention, now I can get on to fixing them. I'll work on them over the next day or two and post the results soon. I look forward to more feedback on all the rest of my stuff (if you don't mind :;):)

No problem man, glad I could be of assistance.

umlegend, how are things shaping up at your end? Any updates on schools, or new schools to add to the list?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Light, I was gonna say everything Sy said, he just beat me to it :laugh:

Yes, this thread isn't as HOT as it once was. I think Central is the best opportunity to be the first school with one of our logos. As I said, this is a school with no mascot. I would like to show them the 2 stampede logos and Mike's Impala as soon as they are finished products. I would like to make up a booklet, however, with more designs than that. If I had 4-5 different name ideas and 2 logo concepts with each, I could make a sweet booklet. Maybe, I could send everyone whose design is used in it a copy. I want to make it professional looking with more than 3 pages. But, right now we have only 3 logos. One idea is a Mastadon. It would probably be another stampede concept. It has potential though. What about the Sentinels or the Centurians? Maybe the Soldiers, Coyotes (there are some around here), Shop Rats (auto workers' nickname in Flint), City Slickers (ok this may suck but it could be good), Steemrollers (road construction in Flint never stops) For a chance to name a mascot and creat the logo for a top tier (size wise) Michigan school, this hasn't generated too much interest. I am not sure how much time we have before they have a meeting, but I would like to do it soon.

As far as the other schools, I still need another Bobcat especially. Other concepts were good and everyone said they were gonna work to improve them, but I haven't seen some of the finished products.

Again, I think that my first hope for something is Central High School. Then I can say, hey we did the logo package for Central and got them to do a uni deal from it, how about your school. It will hold more weight that way.

As for adding schools, there are a few I have considered.  But, this Central thing is huge to me.  It could be the door to other ones.

Cool. I'm not sure if either is ideal, but we are talking about high schoolers picking their own mascot. They aren't gonna pic the Bears or Lions. I think if we show them names that are cool if not a bit out there, with sweet logos for them, we have a good shot. In the very least, they pick a different name but ask me to get some logo concepts together. The principle said that she'd do that if our stuff is good. So, let's see what we've got.

BTW, while I know it isn't quality work, did anyone find my Samurai logo interesting enough to take the idea and come up with something cool? Maybe a silhouette isn't best, and really cool armor would be better. Whatever you guys think. The thing is, two of the other three city schools have human mascots, too.  One is the Vikings (Scandonavian) the other is the Knights (British, European).  The Samurai might mix in well with them.  But, if you think the whole idea sucks, it sucks. Tell me. I can take it. :cool:

One other thing, I am shooting out ideas for Central, but don't let that stop you if you have a different one. Thanks for the effort so far everyone!

UMLegend:  I've been thinking about this for a while, and while I think the Samurai name is a great concept, I'm not sure if Central High School is the best place for its execution.  The Samurai name strikes me as being something very special, maybe something to hold onto until it comes time to revamp a university or pro identity.  I don't mean this to discourage anyone else from working on the design...it really has alot of potential, just not sure if high school kids from Flint would apreciate it.

That being said, I would like to bring forward a few of my own suggestions on names...most of them pretty "out there"...so turn about is fair play.  There's no pressure for anyone to pick up any of these names, I'm just throwing them out here to see what sticks.  Chances are I'll try and make up a few logos for some of the names, although I really don't know when I'll do that as last night was the first time in a week I've set pencil to sketch pad.  

Anyway...here they are:

Centurians: the commmanders of the Roman legions, has good aliteration, the Central Centurians.

Corsairs:  Pirates of the mediteranian, also the name of a World War 2 era bomber, not sure if it was ever manufactured in Flint, but I know that alot of other planes were.

Cruisers:  Keeping with the automotive theme, doesn't exactly fill me with school spirit though.

Vandals:  Name given to a Germanic tribe partialy responsable for the fall of Rome (hence vandalize), unfortunately the line between Vikings and Vandals is a thin one...might not be the best choice.

Goths:  Another Germanic tribe, I only mention it because you could do some really interesting work given the red, black and white color scheme (perhaps a Vampire).

Condors:  A name inspired more by the color scheme than anything else, granted Condors aren't the most savory birds, but they are the largest by far and having seen some in person they are pretty impressive.

Chimeras:  Monster from Greek mythology having the heads of a lion, a goat and a serpent/dragon.  I know...I know its out there, and I honestly don't know how many high schoolers...or even your average person off the street, would know what a Chimera is.  Just figure I'd throw it out here and see what happens.

Hey, that's what I like to see.  Brainstorming.  You got some good ones here.

Centurians: Good. When I posted Sentinels or centurians, I was leaning this way.

Corsairs:Is that pronounced like it sounds? Is it like course airs or cor sairs. Kind of a weird word. I like the plane idea though.

Cruisers:For auto, how about Hot Rods

Vandals: This is an inner city school. Choosing this name would be asking for trouble. :D I don't think parents or school board members would like it.

Goths: When you say this everyone will just picture teens with piercings, tatoos and black clothing.

Condors: Good potential.

Chimeras: Whack! Never heard of it. Word makes me think chin-chilla or chimichaunga. Description makes me think of Satan.

I think stallions is pretty good. On that theme, what about Outlaws (not as bad as Vandals). I also liked spitfires. Great job guys.

Thanks for the imput...sounds like Centurians, Condors and Spitfires are the front runners...I'll see what I can do although I must admit I'm on a massively reduced production schedule.  While doing so more reasearch on WW2 aircraft I came up with a few more names...maybe its some "leftovers" from halloween, or maybe its that red and black strike me as being such great colors for a "dark" identity.

Specters: ghosts, anything that causes fear or horror.

Shadows:  kinda the same idea as above, while looking at WW2 era stuff I was reminded of the old radio myster program, "The Shadow" (infinately better than the movie).

and finally...for all you Lovecraft fans out there:

The Fighting Cthulhus:  this wont make any sense to anyone who isn't familiar with the work of H.P. Lovecraft...but I find it absolutely hilarious, even more so since, if memory serves me, all of Lovecraft's work is in the public domain which means that Central High School could use the name.

Oh...and as for Chimera...its actually pronounced something like: Kim-air-a.  Not that it really matters...at all

Ok, I have been busy working a lot today and last night on these, so, here goes.

Here is my fixed Flushing Raiders logo (although it looks like he is about to take ball four):

http://www.geocities.com/lightbluevale/raiders.html

And here are a couple of secondary/tertiary logos for them as well:

http://www.geocities.com/lightbluevale/raiders_skull.html

http://www.geocities.com/lightbluevale/raiders_flag.html

Here is my fixed Central Stampede logo (the ears were difficult to make any bigger without them standing straight up, and then it looked like a strange rabbit-elephant mixture:

http://www.geocities.com/lightbluevale/stampede.html

OK, don't laugh but I wanted to try the Shop Rats and SteamRollers out for Central High School. They were tough but, I hope you see what I intended it to be (especially the shop rats):

Shop Rats

http://www.geocities.com/lightbluevale/shop_rats.html

SteamRollers

http://www.geocities.com/lightbluevale/steamrollers.html

And here are the Central Sentinels/Centurions. I don't really know what a sentinel is, but I thought it was a soldier or something like that (by the way, I may have made it hard to distinguish, but, the gray area in the "C" is a shield:

http://www.geocities.com/lightbluevale/sentinels.html

And finally, here is the Grand Blanc Bobcats (I can't keep from thinking after I made it that it looked like some other logo form another team. I keep thinking of the Miami (OH) Redhawks with the color scheme):

http://www.geocities.com/lightbluevale/bobcat.html

Any suggestions/comments/critiques are always welcome!

Archived