Big legit project-poss. paying gig

umlegend

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Centurions may run into problems with the Martians(is there something I'm not getting?  Why a Roman soldier?)

It takes me a really long time to produce a logo and I'm not that good at it.  So I wind up taking a few designs I like of mine and adapting them to different teams as the situation arises(Bears and now Stallions).  I'm not really proposing this logo per se, but more as a starting point if anybody wants to run with this.  

Central Stallions

Interesting sidebar because I mentioned my Bears designs.  The Atlanta travel team is no longer the Polar Bears, but just plain Bears.  They also changed colors.  I've talked with the coach and he's interested in my work b/c they just use a recolored version of their fox-like polar bear.  Once I get set on the new color Pantones, I'll adapt my design and I may have some real work.

Well Centurions are officers in the Roman army with each centurion commanding one hundred troops (also know as a century).  The Centurions name is being kicked around on account of it having nice aliteration with Central and its a nice counter balance to the Vikings and the Knights.

As for the Martians, the reason they have a Roman/Greek helmet for their logo is because the name Martians means "those of Mars".  The planet Mars gets its name from the Roman god of war: Mars.  So thats the similarity between the two, they are both drawing from more or less the same civilization.

Im not much for drawing, but I did think that for the Flint Central project, seeing that they lack an indentity, it would be wise to look into the history of the city/town to find something to grab at, since some of the oddest, yet most adored teams in sports have names with a regional/local identity. The Packers(meat packing company) the SF 49ers (gold rush of 1849) even the titans is neat playing on the "athens of the south" image. Pittsburgh Steelers(duh)  Here is a little bit of what I have found so far...

History

-Flint's historic roots can be traced back to 1819 when Jacob Smith and his wife, who was a Chippewa Indian, opened up a trading post here, calling it Grand Traverse.

-Flint went through numerous name changes such as "Todd's Crossing", "Sidney" and "Flint River" until in 1836 it was shortened to Flint.

-Without the auto industry Flint's growth would not have been quite so rapid.  With the production of the first car designed by Louis Chevrolet and the help of Will Durant, the General Motors founder, Flint's population sky rocketed.  

-Jobs were abundant, but housing was not.  Surrounding the factory was a "tent" city.  When a flu epidemic swept Flint, spitting became against the law and people were encouraged to leave work or be reported if they even sneezed.

-Because of the housing shortage lumbering towns grew at a quicker pace to keep up with the demand.

-Flint's downtown area has now grown to a cultural showcase and the emphasis of the auto industry is still prevalent today.

-Huckleberry Railroad 6140 Bray Rd., Flint, MI 48505, apparently the amtrak also goes through there?

Here is the official city site for your own research: http://www.ci.flint.mi.us/

Id say Chippewas is a great start, though Central Michigan U allready uses that for a nickname.

Another way to go would be automobile related, as it seems that it helped sustain the city of Michigan by providing jobs, and possibly still is a main job there? Something to compliment the Red Wings and Pistons, witout copying might be a nice fit.

The last suggestion would be to do something related to fact that they have railroad station(s?) and an amtrak station, and/or trains. It's not overused by any stretch, and other then Purdue, and the cartoon "train" logo you can use on Madden, I cant think of anybody that uses this for an identity.

I was thinking Railers or something. A train for a logo, maybe Engineers if thats your thing. I just think that nicknames that do more then put an identity on the field, but on the community as well, would be a nice touch.  Another way to go would be to find out about ethnic herritage? I know in the UP they have tons of people from the Norway/Sweeden/Findland area, and If it's the same powers im thinking of, I go in and through it at least once a year when im up there.

Anyway, just some suggestions, thanks for your time, and great work so far!

Play RBI Baseball 2K9 @ http://league.rbicentral.com

thanks zealot.  I know Mars is the god of war, but that would have never occured to me in thinking about using a roman soldier for Martians.  That's pretty creative.

I still think that two teams using Roman soldiers is wierd.  We can be more creative.  Centurions is a great name, but one school already uses a roman theme.

Well I guess alot of it comes down to how the individual school identities are handled.  For starters the Martians actually employ a Greek helmet rather than a Roman one.  Granted both are pretty similar (in part because Greek civilization bleeds into Roman civilization) but with the right emphasis you could get two very different end products.

For starters, has anyone thought of having an alien-eque form clad in a Roman uniform, alla Marvin the Martian but perhaps a little more agressive so as to avoid any copyright infringement.  I guess I'll have to scan in a mock up.  As for the possable Centurions concept, perhaps utilizing symbols of the Roman Republic would serve to further distinguish one from the other.

OK, great job guys.

A bit of explantion...

First, Goodrich is class c and almost farm country. It is about 25 minutes from downtown Flint. Central is class A. They never ever play each other, so I think it's ok. As for zealots idea for adding more of a space twist to the Martians current theme, thank you. I was trying to get this the whole time. One of the logos I got wasn't so prevalently human so it was going for that idea too. I would like to see what you come up with.

As for using the tribe name of Chippewas, Central got rid of the name Indian because of they thought it was insulting.

I like the background stuff though, Clyon. As far as the auto industry, that's what I was going with by suggesting Shop Rats. Light, I was thinking of a Rat maybe with his helmet lifted up on top of his head with the torch still on in his hand.

Steamrollers is suggested because of the CONSTANT roadwork. There is always fresh asfalt being layed. As for Railroaders, there is a school named that about 20 minutes away. But, Steamers might work. Sentinels were Roman soldiers whose job was to guard something, such as a tomb or somebody. Spitfires gets new meaning when you hear that people got fired for spitting back in the day.

Flint is trying to get stuff back downtown and Central is basically downtown, that's why I suggested City Slickers. However, I have no idea where that concept would even start. I can't think of anthing as far as a logo. Maybe a guy in the look of early 1900's when the auto industry got started. Maybe this idea sucks. ???

I like this stuff guys, keep it up. :cool:

In war there is no prize for runner-up. -- Omar N. Bradley

....Then again, they are just High School Students, so Im assuming they dont have much care about history, and all that good stuff. Maybe something that starts with an F?

Flint Central....

Fanatics

Falcons

Federals(Feds!)

Felons

Fenders(on cars)

Ferrets

Firemen

Fish

Fishermen

Flamingos

Flash

Flat Cars (A Train Car with no roof or sides)

Flippers (aka the dolphin)

Fox

Fox Hounds

Freighters

Frogs

Personally, I like the last two

Play RBI Baseball 2K9 @ http://league.rbicentral.com

Well we have a long weekend here at school, so I finally had some down time to sketch/scan and vector some images. For my troubles I came up with a basic Martians logo, its still in need of some work, but it gets the idea across pretty well I think.

martian.gif

http://students.usm.maine.edu/andrew.goodman/martian.gif

I know the schools colors are navy and gold, but I couldn't resist using some red, they are the Martians after all and the color of Mars is RED (not to mention the Romans were also very fond of red to, for many of the same reasons).  I was trying to go for a dark-ish crimson but aparently internet explorer is displaying it as a maroon, I'll try and address that when I start fine tuneing the design. I know this is a prety big departure from what the school originally had as a logo, and from the majority of concepts that have been submited so far. Personally I think the changes work and overall the design is a solid one. But thats just me.

As always input is greatly apreciated!

Also, not sure how many people saw this, as it was the last post on page 9 and I posted it very late last night.

Well we have a long weekend here at school, so I finally had some down time to sketch/scan and vector some images.  For my troubles I came up with a basic Martians logo, its still in need of some work, but it gets the idea across pretty well I think.

martian.gif

http://students.usm.maine.edu/andrew.goodman/martian.gif

I know the schools colors are navy and gold, but I couldn't resist using some red, they are the Martians after all and the color of Mars is RED (not to mention the Romans were also very fond of red to, for many of the same reasons).  I was trying to go for a dark-ish crimson but aparently internet explorer is displaying it as a maroon, I'll try and address that when I start fine tuneing the design.  I know this is a prety big departure from what the school originally had as a logo, and from the majority of concepts that have been submited so far.  Personally I think the changes work and overall the design is a solid one.  But thats just me.

As always input is greatly apreciated!

Anyway...I've got to get back to work, let me know what you guys think.

Nice Bobcat Chri.  With a bit of work, it will be great.

Zealot, I gotta say it...Lose the red.  While I like it, it just won't happen.  It is a sweet logo though.  With gold or white in there for the red spots, it will work.

Shiznit, I like the condor.  Just swap out the peach for red, and voila!

In war there is no prize for runner-up. -- Omar N. Bradley

I was affraid of that...I'm assuming its a case of a school with too much tradition/not enough money to warrent the addition of a third color?  It just blows my mind that a team named Martians has no red...I guess I'm still having a hard time wrapping my little head around it.  I'll try and rig up a new color scheme that keeps to the original...but I can tell you right now its not going to look nearly as nice as the original.  Ultimately I realize its your call...but there is no harm in submitting both right?  Perhaps if they see how well red fits into the overal scheme they could be convinced to have it as an accent (I'm not even sure if red would even have to find its way into the uniforms).  Anyway...I'll see what I can rig up.

Ok...here are a few quick color variations along with the original. Personally I'm most fond of the blue and gold with the white border (aside of course from the original). As always feeback is greatly apreciated.

I like the one with the original colors a lot.  :)

Doh!

Archived