San Diego State Aztecs

cambaker

Hey everybody, March Madness got me feeling like doing a basketball concept so here it is. I went ahead and brought back SDSU's supposedly degrading Montezuma logo(s)... They did a poll of Native American students on campus and found that nobody was actually offended. It was actually just a group headed up by non-native americans who felt it necessary to take the P.C. iniative and do away with the Aztec king. As always, some constructive comments and criticisms and all that good stuff is definitely wanted.

Aztecs.jpg

Much better than what they have. The font and the striping are great. Only thing I might suggest would be to maybe put the interlocking SD logo above the back player number.

VmWIn6B.png

:jawdrop:

Great stuff. Although I like some of the stuff SDSU uses now as far as wordmarks and the long spear in the monogram, these are beautiful (and rendered superbly). The side panels belong in the mix tomorrow, and I like the restrained use of gold within the uniforms.

My only thought is that the font doesn't seem to fit into the Aztec theme; it reminds me of something from the western frontier, not the Aztec Empire. That said, it still looks great despite the possible design conflict. These look really, really good.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

:jawdrop:

Great stuff. Although I like some of the stuff SDSU uses now as far as wordmarks and the long spear in the monogram, these are beautiful (and rendered superbly). The side panels belong in the mix tomorrow, and I like the restrained use of gold within the uniforms.

My only thought is that the font doesn't seem to fit into the Aztec theme; it reminds me of something from the western frontier, not the Aztec Empire. That said, it still looks great despite the possible design conflict. These look really, really good.

I agree, it is a great concept, except for that font.

Don't the Aztecs have a really nice Man-in-Eaglehead-mask logo that would work where you have the older Aztec Warrior head? I seem to remember a really well done image of an aztec eagle warrior (hmmm.... they are dissing the jaguar warriors big time, this could be trouble!!!)

Just a thought - is San Diego St. being held to the same standard as other schools with Native American mascots and names? I realize the Aztecs aren't American, but you get the idea. Just curious, not saying whether they should or not.

The Aztecs are not being held to the same standard as some of the other schools.

As for the concepts>I really like them. The court looks sharp. I really like the use of the head at center court.

Well, I took a couple of your suggestions with regard to the font. I grabbed a couple that they already have in use and left one of the originals. I did want to mention though that the font was based on a baseball uniform font they used to use not too long ago. Anyway, please let me know what you think of the changes. Thanks again!

Aztecs3.jpg

I like the changes to the workmark on the Black uniform. I wonder how that SDSU wordmark would look on the court opposite of the SD logo? Or opposite of the NCAA wording inside the 3 point circle? Just a thought.

I like the SD Logo on the back of the jerseys.

I did want to mention though that the font was based on a baseball uniform font they used to use not too long ago.

Oh man, now that you mention it, I remember those baseball uniforms. Makes the font make a lot more sense. Nicely done, I wish I'd remembered that sooner...

Regardless of the font you use for the lettering, I like the idea of using "SDSU' on the road set.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived