Is the dallas mavericks logo... a ripoff?

nitroseed

I found a logo today for the Landshut Cannibals (a German hockey team) and it struck me as being very similar to one I've seen before...

landshut-dallas.gif

...ah, yes, the Mavericks! I think I have found where the Mavericks got the idea for their logo from. I overlayed the two in Photoshop, and the shape is identical in just about every way. I'm almost positive that this logo of the Cannibals predates the new Mavericks logo, so based upon that, I believe that the Mavericks' logo designer might have "found his inspiration in" (read: ripped off) the Cannibals logo, at least in the main shape.

Just found it interesting. Thought you might too!

cannibals is a crazy name for a team...

yeah nice find, sue em!

Don't know that a lawsuit would prevail since the trademark for a German hockey team is never going to be confused with the logo for for an NBA team and thus it would be hard to prove any type of actual infringement.

That being said, I'm for anything that would force the return of the Stetson-wearing basketball and the green uniforms. Update the font from those old uniforms, though. That early 80's fern-bar type was already dated by 1984.

You can sue someone even if only the shapes are alike?

I dont think it's that big of a deal, the mav logo looks completely different other than the shape, and besides, if that could be considerd copying, would'nt we not allow to use basic shapes like a circle or a square since they would all be a form of copying?

Doh!

Actually, having seen a few versions of the Cannibals' jerseys in the past, I've never seen that background to their logo, usually just the head/bone/etc logo. I'll see what I can dig up.

I'm thinking it may have been the other way around.

EDIT: Here's the only picture of their jerseys I can find with a quick google search:

Cannibals_Landshut_J_R.JPG

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

You can sue someone even if only the shapes are alike?

I dont think it's that big of a deal, the mav logo looks completely different other than the shape, and besides, if that could be considerd copying, would'nt we not allow to use basic shapes like a circle or a square since they would all be a form of copying?

I think it's more the fact that it's a distinct shape and design (having the arched blue mark in front of the whole thing, plus the rounded triangle with straight lines on the top). I think circles and such are general shapes. Either way, I'm not saying anything should be done about it. I just find it funny. :)

And Mockba, if you can find evidence saying the Cannibals ripped it off from the Mavs, please show it. I'm only going off of the sites I've read and this logo, which has appeared on a few other German hockey sites. I could have it backwards!

And Mockba, if you can find evidence saying the Cannibals ripped it off from the Mavs, please show it. I'm only going off of the sites I've read and this logo, which has appeared on a few other German hockey sites. I could have it backwards!

Yeah.  And I could be wrong, too.  They do seem to have a club crest, which I'm guessing is much older than the Cannibals logo we're seeing there.  Otherwise, I can't seem to find many jersey photos for them, and I know I've seen them before.  Hrm.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

gotta say i hate those jerseys mainly cus of the 'walking billboard' factor that is sadly a growing necessary evil.  the logo itself scares me tho  :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Wow those are weird and awful Im glad they dont play in the US.

As for the main topic other then the shape of the shield it is no where near the Mavs logo, so it should not be an issue.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

No, they weren't copying.  Since both teams are opposite sides of the globe, it's just a weird conquincidence (sp?)

Rip off, Rip off. :P

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived