Terps baseball looking like the Nats

Brick

I think that this may be a future project of mine. I already plan to make an Auburn set, so I guess that I can make a Maryland set, too.

I did something similar for an upcoming college baseball concept when I found that the Royals home script wordmark translated very well to Loyola (all I had to do was draw an L and move the letters around)...

QPR%20Sig.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Maryland's going to "steal" a local MLB uniform design, wouldn't they be better suited to get inspiration from the team that is from their own state, aka the O's?

As for the hat not matching the uniform, that at least goes along with the trend how the football team got some fancy futuristic Under Armour uni's but kept the more traditional helmet, which I think looks a bit odd.

0411merriman.jpg

CD-NCA-MD-MNSH.JPG

The black road baseball jerseys don't look half bad - for once a black uni doesn't look worse than the original ;)

I have no problem with college baseball teams doing this (heck, UWM pretty much aped the Padres home script wordmark, only it says Panthers instead), I do have a problem if they don't do it well.

Did they? Are they still using the Brewers' 1996-1999 "MILWAUKEE" wordmark?

USC certainly borrowed the Padres' look:

m-basebl-mgcover-2005.jpg

While I don't have too much of a problem with non-major league teams taking the designs of major league teams, in this particular case, it looks awful:

mdmiami08-lg.jpg

The font used for the basketball jersey would work quite well on a baseball jersey:

ku.wayne.jpg

So would the "M" logo with the flags included (side of basketball shorts) on the side of a pinstriped jersey with numbers on the other side?

Mryld_2531.gif

Even a standard baseball script would look nice. Then make the hat logo MATCH! That bugs me more than anything, and is why I think the Nats should commit to the DC hat look and ditch the W cap, or change the wordmark to something simple that matches the W and ditch the DC look altogether. Or, better yet: Use only the DC hat with the home and road jerseys, then create a third jersey with the W and a script wordmark similar to the old Senators' uniforms that matches the W. They can heep bpth hats without causing mismatches.

A bit of a rant, yes, but I think they should ditch the Nats typeface because it looks bad, no other reason.

i smell a concept coming.

If Maryland's going to "steal" a local MLB uniform design, wouldn't they be better suited to get inspiration from the team that is from their own state, aka the O's?

As for the hat not matching the uniform, that at least goes along with the trend how the football team got some fancy futuristic Under Armour uni's but kept the more traditional helmet, which I think looks a bit odd.

0411merriman.jpg

CD-NCA-MD-MNSH.JPG

The black road baseball jerseys don't look half bad - for once a black uni doesn't look worse than the original ;)

Actually, it makes sense for them to pick the Nats: College Park is a suburb of DC. Baltimore is about 35 miles away. That being said, it's lame to copy a pro team. They should stick with the brand package they already have.

I have no problem with college baseball teams doing this (heck, UWM pretty much aped the Padres home script wordmark, only it says Panthers instead), I do have a problem if they don't do it well.

USC certainly borrowed the Padres' look:

m-basebl-mgcover-2005.jpg

486417.jpeg

Not the best view of it, but that's what UWM's home uniforms look like this year. Couldn't find a pic of the new away uniforms, but they're very boring (a radial arched block MILWAUKEE in black with Signal Yellow trim).

QPR%20Sig.png

Actually, it makes sense for them to pick the Nats: College Park is a suburb of DC. Baltimore is about 35 miles away.  That being said, it's lame to copy a pro team.  They should stick with the brand package they already have.

Maybe your Towson Tigers (per your avatar) should copy the Orioles. :P Towson to Baltimore is about the same as College Park to DC.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I smell a concept coming.

Just don't beat me to it. I think both of us may come up with pretty much the same idea.

Ok i won't,besides im kinda busy now that i think about.

So am I. I don't really feel up to doing anything like that right now. You can do it now if you want.

Actually, it makes sense for them to pick the Nats: College Park is a suburb of DC. Baltimore is about 35 miles away.  That being said, it's lame to copy a pro team.  They should stick with the brand package they already have.

Maybe your Towson Tigers (per your avatar) should copy the Orioles. :P Towson to Baltimore is about the same as College Park to DC.

Fortunately, the Tigers are rocking uniforms with our logo package. Although they insist on wearing a "T" on their hats that looks like the Brooklyn Dodgrs font.

486417.jpeg

Not the best view of it, but that's what UWM's home uniforms look like this year. Couldn't find a pic of the new away uniforms, but they're very boring (a radial arched block MILWAUKEE in black with Signal Yellow trim).

Block "MILWAUKEE"? They stopped using the Germanic mark?

:cursing:

I do like the color scheme, though. Gold outlined with black is sharp.

EDIT: Here's another look at the Panthers/Padres' "P"....

485376.jpeg

... and the old one.

466143.jpeg

I smell a concept coming.

Just don't beat me to it. I think both of us may come up with pretty much the same idea.

Ok i won't,besides im kinda busy now that i think about.

So am I. I don't really feel up to doing anything like that right now. You can do it now if you want.

Thanks

who cares if the cap doesn't match the lettering...i.e. Nationals, even the St. Louis Cardinals' STL isn't anything like how it's spelled using the jersey font.

NOT.

THE SAME.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived