Terps baseball looking like the Nats

Brick

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy knockoff, Batman.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Maryland can do so much better. I am disappointed.

Very much agreed. On top of that, I think the M on the cap is too big.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

And if they were going to slavishly adopt this uniform style, why the bloody hell couldn't they incorporate some GOLD into the script wordmark and numbers?

I have no problem with college baseball teams doing this (heck, UWM pretty much aped the Padres home script wordmark, only it says Panthers instead), I do have a problem if they don't do it well.

QPR%20Sig.png

What the hell is the point of developing brand standards if you're not going to stick to them?

Agreed. They have a defining font for their wordmark and jersey numbers in football and hoops; why not use it for all varsity sports? I could see an exception -- perhaps -- if they opted to use a "traditional" baseball script as some other schools with distinctive wordmarks choose to do. This aping of the Nats' font is quite puzzling and rather disappointing for a school with an athletic department as substantial as Maryland's.

What the hell is the point of developing brand standards if you're not going to stick to them?

It's like having a high school program where all the sports can pick their wordmarks. It doesn't look right for colleges that have a known wordmark.

The M on the hat doesn't go well with lettering on the uniform.

The Padres wordmark for UW-M works because they don't have a well known wordmark like Maryland.

It definitely contradicts the M on the hat

The Nats wordmark and pretzel W "contradict" each other more. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Agreed.  They have a defining font for their wordmark and jersey numbers in football and hoops; why not use it for all varsity sports?

I agree with the idea of uniformity for all sports teams representing a single school. But to call Aachen Bold a "defining" font for Maryland may stretch things a bit, since at least 2 other large state universities in big-time athletic conferences use the same font for basketball (Wisconsin, Missouri).

Maryland had it first, but they took it off the football uniforms about the time they went to Under Armor in favor of Block Varsity. So it's no more "Maryland's font" than it is Missouri's or Wisconsin's. People associate it with Maryland because the men's hoops team won a national title using it.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I actually REALLY LIKE this idea. College Park is basically a suburb of Washington...why not tie the two together? And who cares if the cap doesn't match the lettering...i.e. Nationals, even the St. Louis Cardinals' STL isn't anything like how it's spelled using the jersey font. No one seems to care about that.

You know what, I LOVE THIS IDEA. Fear the Turtle.

Cards.png

If they were going to copy the nationals, they should have flipped the W upside down and made it an M

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

While I don't have too much of a problem with non-major league teams taking the designs of major league teams, in this particular case, it looks awful:

mdmiami08-lg.jpg

The font used for the basketball jersey would work quite well on a baseball jersey:

ku.wayne.jpg

So would the "M" logo with the flags included (side of basketball shorts) on the side of a pinstriped jersey with numbers on the other side?

Mryld_2531.gif

Even a standard baseball script would look nice. Then make the hat logo MATCH! That bugs me more than anything, and is why I think the Nats should commit to the DC hat look and ditch the W cap, or change the wordmark to something simple that matches the W and ditch the DC look altogether. Or, better yet: Use only the DC hat with the home and road jerseys, then create a third jersey with the W and a script wordmark similar to the old Senators' uniforms that matches the W. They can heep bpth hats without causing mismatches.

A bit of a rant, yes, but I think they should ditch the Nats typeface because it looks bad, no other reason.

Archived