Announcing: winner for sept/oct. webdave challenge

webdav

Congratulations to the winner of the Pittsburgh Basketball challenge, the Pittsburgh Forge, Greg Malek - whchoclte.

In an effort to further improve this contest, I have come up with a new name for it! It will now be known as the Webdav Identity & Naming Challenge (W.I.N. Challenge).

I would like to thank those who participated this month - especially those who used the template, it made putting things together MUCH easier!

The original intent of the competition was to pick challenges that were realistic, which is why Portland Baseball was the first one. There is a real chance that Portland will get a baseball team. Same with LA football.

I'm struggling to come up with an idea for the next W.I.N. Challenge. I would like to read any suggestions others might have for it. Keep in mind, I would like to keep this with major sports - even though we've covered all four (Portland Baseball, LA Football, SLC Hockey and Pittsburgh Basketball.)

I'll tell you where I am leaning, and I'll wait to decide until after I have heard other's suggestions.

Currently, i'm leaning towards the idea of coming up with an identity system for a New York Super Bowl. The city of New York recently withdrew it's application to try to get the Super Bowl, but it may try for another year (2009, I believe.) This would take place INSIDE NYC. Not in the Meadowlands in New Jersey.

Other things I have considered have been an Olympic logo system, for NYC or San Francisco. But that could be a fairly large task. There are tons of sports. With a Super Bowl you need a logo, wordmark and some secondary type logomarks. It's workable.

Let me know what you think...

Congrats Greg!

I would offer up 3 suggestions:

As far as the four major sports, Mexico City is pushing to get a NBA team (I know you just did that) but they would like a football team as well. How about INDPLS, Portland, or Seattle for NHL?

As for a different sport, there is a push to get a MLS team in Detroit. The owners of the smaller pro team, the Michigan Bucks, are behind it.  Detroit hosted some games for the World Cup in the 90's and is a viable option (although not on published lists of cities MLS is currently in discussions with).

As for an event, how about coming up with a location (a real track or course), sponsor, name and logo for a NASCAR or IRL race, or for a PGA event?

Personally, I'm not a fan of event creations, but I could get into it the way it's been going so far.

In war there is no prize for runner-up. -- Omar N. Bradley

Suggested Sport/Municipality Combinations for future W.I.N. Challenges (Note: All cities are listed alphabetically, as opposed to being in order of preference.)...

Major League Baseball:

1) Brooklyn, NY

2) Buffalo, NY

3) Charlotte, NC

4) Indianapolis, IN

5) Mexico City or Monterrey, Mexico

6) Nashville, TN

7) New Jersey (East Rutherford or Newark, NJ)

8) New Orleans, LA

9) Orlando, FL

10) Sacramento, CA

Major League Soccer:

1) Atlanta, GA

2) Charlotte, NC

3) Cleveland, OH

4) Houston, TX

5) Minneapolis - St. Paul, MN

6) Philadelphia, PA

7) Rochester, NY

8) St. Louis, MO

9) San Diego, CA

10) Seattle, WA

National Basketball Association:

1) Baltimore, MD

2) Brooklyn, NY

3) Buffalo, NY

4) Cincinnati, OH

5) Las Vegas, NV

6) Louisville, KY

7) Montreal, QUE

8) St. Louis, MO

9) San Diego, CA

10) Tampa - St. Petersburg, FL

National Football League:

1) Birmingham, AL

2) Honolulu, HI

3) Las Vegas, NV

4) London, England

5) Memphis, TN

6) Oklahoma City, OK

7) Orlando, FL

8) San Antonio, TX

9) Toronto, ONT

10) Vancouver, BC

National Hockey League:

1) Cleveland, OH

2) Houston, TX

3) Kansas City, MO

4) Milwaukee, WI

5) Norfolk, VA

6) Oklahoma City, OK

7) Portland, OR

8) Quebec City, QUE

9) Seattle, WA

10) Winnipeg, MAN

Brian in Boston

Could also add Minnesota and St. Louis to that MLS list.  Minnesota's a decent soccer area; in St. Louis it's big.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Could also add Minnesota and St. Louis to that MLS list. Minnesota's a decent soccer area; in St. Louis it's big.

You beat me to it Mockba.

Also, Oklahoma City should be added to the NHL list.  They have a 20,000 seat, state-of-the-art facility that was built for the primary purpose of attracting an NHL franchise.  They have been the #1 attendance market for minor league hockey for the better part of 11 seasons and all for "low AA" CHL hockey.

I've made the additions Mockba and yhollander suggested. The only reason that I had left them off to begin with, was my arbitrary decision to have 8 suggestions in each category. However, bumping the MLS list to 10 suggestions (and the NHL list to 9... at least temporarily) opened me up to the idea of adding a couple of candidates in each of the other categories. With a minimum of repeat cities, we're looking at 39 municipalities in five sports amongst the 50 suggestions. Many of them are based on actual attempts that were made (or, are in the planning stages) to bring teams to certain markets. Enjoy!

Brian in Boston

WebDav, I think the NY Superbowl is being planned to be at Giants Stadium. I think the reason they withdrew for 2008 is because they couldn't get a deal done for renevations for the Stadium done by the time the site is chosen.

WebDav, jkrdevil is right...the 2009 Super Bowl bid would be for Giants Stadium

What I believe you were thinking about with a Super Bowl inside NYC is tied to New York's 2012 Olympic bid, where a retractable roof stadium would be build on the city's west side for Opening Ceremony/Track and Field use, then could be converted into a new stadium for the Jets.

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

Like I said MLS- Detroit.  Detroit has a major arena/stadium for each sport and they would add a fifth in a heartbeat.  Especially if it gives an alternative to watching the Tigers!  Actually, when they try to decide the fate of Tiger stadium, someone ALWAYS gives a plan for turning Tiger Stadium into a MLS stadium.

Like I said MLS- Detroit.  Detroit has a major arena/stadium for each sport and they would add a fifth in a heartbeat.  Especially if it gives an alternative to watching the Tigers!  Actually, when they try to decide the fate of Tiger stadium, someone ALWAYS gives a plan for turning Tiger Stadium into a MLS stadium.

Why would MLS be more exciting than the Tigers. At least when the Tigers are playing there is scoring...

hehehe. (I hate soccer!)

Personally, I'd prefer no event logos. How do you name an event like the Super Bowl?

We have plenty of candidates for potential teams. Add to that possible CFL expansion cities... (in no particular order)

Halifax

Quebec City

St. John's

Kelowna

Chicoutimi

Saskatoon

to name a few.

A shameless plug for my Madden CFL project? You'll have to decide that for yourself... :D

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Like I said MLS- Detroit. Detroit has a major arena/stadium for each sport and they would add a fifth in a heartbeat. Especially if it gives an alternative to watching the Tigers!

Why would MLS be more exciting than the Tigers. At least when the Tigers are playing there is scoring...

hehehe. (I hate soccer!)

Yeah, there's scoring in Detroit, but it isn't by the home team!

BTW, I played soccer all my life (along with everything else) and it is really a great game, but I don't find it fun to watch on tv.  Now if there was a team in DTown, I would definitely follow them and go to games.

Here's a challenge: Make a Super Bowl logo for any Super Bowl numbered 50 through 53. Pick any NFL team to use for a basis of the logo, but it must be Roman numerals!

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Here's a challenge: Make a Super Bowl logo for any Super Bowl numbered 50 through 53.  Pick any NFL team to use for a basis of the logo, but it must be Roman numerals!

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

I think that Buffalo will probably be in those Super Bowls. Either them or Minnesota. Only those two franchises can put the L in Super Bowl L.

I'm looking forward to Super Bowl XL. Now that's an extra large Super Bowl.

Archived