Official NHL playoff thread

Shane Does Art

GO DUCKS GO!!! We can take Game Three, I believe in you guys. I have never lost hope and I won't lose it now. I've got just one word for Ducks fans...BELIEVE.

this will be the most important game of the series, Edmonton's crowd is going to be bat :censored: crazy, Anahiem has to step up because the Oilers are clicking on all cylanders. Hell, Peca and Pronger are lighting it up.

If the Ducks win, it's going to be a long one. They'll fight back, and Edmonton will have to take them to the brink. If Edmonton wins, I don't think the Ducks would be able to muster 4 straight wins, it'll shatter their confidence too much (especially that young guy between the pipes) either that or Gigere goes back in net and it's 02-03 all over again

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anahiem has to step up because the Oilers are clicking on all cylanders. Hell, Peca and Pronger are lighting it up.

You know it's not going well for Anaheim when the Oilers' goaltender, Dwayne Roloson, has more points than Teemu Selanne and Scott Neidermayer COMBINED.

teams-1.png

It annoys me that a team that's playing fantastic hockey makes a single mistake and it costs them EVERY FREAKING TIME!!!

Roloson's helmet is way too loose. And what was his problem with Selanne with 30 seconds left? Selanne came nowhere near him.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

yeah, that thing is way too loose. it's like players who leave a strap loose in order to delay a faceoff a few seconds during rushed moments in a game.

Sooner or later he'll get zinged for that by the refs. Creative idea, but it might be best to quit while he's ahead if he is doing that on purpose

It is baffling that markets that large can't fill a 17000 seat arena for a 3rd round playoff game.  It really pains me to see cities blessed with not only an NHL team, but one that has a legitamite shot at the cup, and show little more than apathy.  Fans in the many non-NHL hockey-loving cities, would kill for what these lcuky fans have.

It's kind of embarrassing, actually. I don't buy the demographic arguement that was posed earlier. Raleigh's a larger and wealthier market than Buffalo, with plenty of Northern transplants who grew up around the sport. Yet, Buffalo sold out all 3 games in under 15 minutes, while you could still get tickets in Raleigh 10 minutes before game time. To top it off, the Hurricanes' fans were then pissed that hundreds of Sabres fans showed up from Buffalo to buy all the unsold seats.

I've been to both games this round, and there was a huge turnout of Sabres fans, 2,000+, at each game. The front page story in yesterday's paper was about the large number of Sabres fans living here. See: Caniac spirit lost with Sabres on ice

Pretty bad when the talk of the town is the visiting team.

It gets better...

During round 1, we went to Damon's across from the RBC Center to watch the Sabres-Flyers game on the big screen. Halfway into the 1st period, people came over and said that tickets were still available to the Canes-Canadiens game, and they were selling for $10... and $5 for the 300 level. Here's the kicker... everyone passed up the dirt cheap Canes tickets to stay at the restaurant and watch the Sabres on TV.

I've been to 2 games since moving here where the Sabres were in town and dominated the game. The first time, it snowed, and most of the small crowd that showed up was cheering for the Sabres. The second time was the season finale this year. Halfway through the 3rd period, it sounded like a Buffalo home game.

And, to top it all off... Today, I stopped for gas on the way to a meeting, and while I was standing there, a Raleigh cop was driving by, but suddenly stopped and pulled in to the gas station and said, "Hey buddy... are you from Buffalo?" I told him I was, and he said "Me, too... Go Sabres!" He said that he saw my Sabres plate on my car and decided to stop to say hi.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

wow, this game is just awesome, so heated, this is what playoff hockey should be.

Those two goals are going to kill off the Ducks, especially LaRaque taking that fight so quickly. Peca has another goal, this one could get ugly

EDIT: Anahiem isn't helping their miracle turnaround with two dumb penalties in a row, the frustration is starting to show...especially when Chris Pronger scores. Geez, I wish I were an Oiler fan so I could go insane right now

wow, this game is just awesome, so heated, this is what playoff hockey should be.

Those two goals are going to kill off the Ducks, especially LaRaque taking that fight so quickly. Peca has another goal, this one could get ugly

Make that 3 quick goals.

I see a 2004 redux with the Alberta team taking on a squad from the Sunbet. Will the outcome be the same? who knows?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Make that 3 quick goals.

I see a 2004 redux with the Alberta team taking on a squad from the Sunbet. Will the outcome be the same? who knows?

i think Buffalo is going to take that one eventually. THey just have that much more than Carolina IMO, but hey, I could be totally wrong, but I think we'll see Buffalo vs. Edmonton next round, and that would be one hell of a series

EDIT: ok, I gotta stop watching now. IF the Ducks make the comeback, I'll never get to sleep

Just checking the boxscore, and it's 4-3 Edmonton.

The last three goals have been Anaheim's.

If this were a baseball game, you'd yank the pitcher.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

Just checking the boxscore, and it's 4-3 Edmonton.

The last three goals have been Anaheim's.

If this were a baseball game, you'd yank the pitcher.

Make that 5-3 Edmonton. :)

[edit] Scratch that, 5-4 Oilers. Geez, Pinball Night at Rexall place I suppose? :P

[edit, Part 2] Man, what a game. In terms of a game that didn't go to OT, this had to be the best one of the playoffs. Too bad the Oilers break out the Brooms on Thursday...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

What a game that 3rd period had me at the edge of my seat. OLN needs to get better announcers though that game was exciting but I didn't hear much exciting calls from the anouncers like I would if with someother announcers. They need to bring Jim Hughston State side to call these games.

OK, weird stat time...

I'm calling the Stanly Cup Finals to be Edmonton vs. Carolina. Sure, the West pick seems to be a lock, but here's some ironclad reasons why, based on every Canadian fan's pet peeve, the Sunbelt...

There are 10 NHL teams that are located in the Sunbelt, 4 in the East (Florida, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, and Carolina), and 6 in the West (Nashville, Dallas, Phoenix, LA, Anaheim, and San Jose), of these teams, Florida, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Dallas, Anaheim, and San Jose have all made at least the Conference Finals since 1994 (When the NHL moved to its format of Eastern and Western Conferences, and seeding of playoff teams), and of these, all but San Jose have made the Stanley Cup Finals, and Tampa Bay and Dallas were lucky enough to skate away with the Stanley Cup. With this said...

Why Carolina will win the East

- Sunbelt teams have reached the Eastern Conference Finals 3 times (1996, 2002, 2004)

- All three teams won the series

- two out of the three series were played against teams from the Northeast Division (Tampa beat Philly in 2004)

- a current member of the Southeast Division (Washington) won the East by beating, you guessed it, Buffalo (in 6 games)

- All three series were tied 1-1 after two games

-Buffalo seems to have a problem beating Sunbelt teams. Since 1993-1994, Buffalo has either played a team from the (current) Southeast Division or a Sunbelt team in the playoffs twice. They are 0-2 against them (E. Conference Finals against Washington, and 1999 against Dallas in the Stanley Cup Finals)

Seems ironclad to me. Got to run, I'll do the West in a little bit.

and 6 in the West (Nashville, Dallas, Phoenix, LA, Anaheim, and San Jose)

I don't believe San Jose is considered a sunbelt team. Norther California isn't considered part of the sunbelt, at least I think so. Could be wrong.

and 6 in the West (Nashville, Dallas, Phoenix, LA, Anaheim, and San Jose)

I don't believe San Jose is considered a sunbelt team. Norther California isn't considered part of the sunbelt, at least I think so. Could be wrong.

I've always considered them a Sunbelt team, and many opponents of the NHL putting teams in the Sunbelt cite them as an example. Besides, as you'll see, they're a key to making my wacky stats work! :P

Why Edmonton will win the West

- No Western Conference team has ever come back from a 3-0 deficit to win a playoff series

-California teams are 5-10 against teams from Alberta in the playoffs, including Edmonton's last round victim, San Jose

-Edmonton is 6-2 all time against teams from California in the playoffs, including, you guessed it, San Jose

- In the 21st Century, teams from Alberta are 1-0 against teams from California in the Western Conference Finals, where Calgary beat, you guessed it, San Jose. :D

I still say Buffalo will win the East.

If statistics were any indicator of who will win, Montreal should have been a lock this year. After all, teams from Montreal have won a Cup in years that end in 6 all but twice going into this year.

You're in denial because geography is stacked against you (despite winning tonight)! :P

Archived