NASCAR Track Design

beansdooma

looks identical to Super Speedway on GT2 which i think is based ona real track in japan. which is the only track i can race a FR with out spinning out.

i don't follow nascar with any regularity, but why are most if not all of the nascar tracks oval? are nascar race cars like the Chargers, Taurus' etc not made for dangerous tracks like Mazda Laguna Seca or any of the international racing tracks like Toyota Gt-ones and dodge vipers are or is it a speed thing, where the oval tracks maximizes speed alot better than say track with a ton of curves?

Though track concepts isn't a bad idea, i'd like to see more of them.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Looks like Twin Ring Motegi in Japan. As far as why they race on ovals, because that's what the series is, an oval series. Would I like to see them at Laguna Seca? Would be interesting, but I'd rather see them at Mid Ohio or Elkhart Lake first.

Definitely a Darlington look. I can imagine it would present a challenge to get the car to handle with each end being so drastically different.

C2C- The biggest thing about NASCAR cars not handling on Performance road courses is the 3400 lb weight minimum. I can imagine GT cars are considerably lighter and are much more capable of maintaining corner speeds than the heavy stock cars are.

According to FIA rules the minimum for GT cars is 1100kg or 2420 lbs.

The thing I love about Darlington is that it isnt your typical 1.5 mi D shaped oval that is so prevelent in Nascar today. Also that the cars run the high side in the corners annd it isnt everyone fighting for the bottom like at so many tracks.

centerfieldbanner2.png

Formula GP

CenterField 22 pts

#7 Coca-Cola Giancarlo Fisichella 4pts

#8 Coca-Cola Lewis Hamilton 18pts

TRAC

CenterField Motorsports

#5 Sony Kyle Busch

#8 Gatorade Kurt Busch

#9 Sirius David Ragan/Ricky Rudd

Looks like Twin Ring Motegi in Japan. As far as why they race on ovals, because that's what the series is, an oval series. Would I like to see them at Laguna Seca? Would be interesting, but I'd rather see them at Mid Ohio or Elkhart Lake first.

If you're refering to the IRL, they do race some non-ovals.

The second race of this season was the Grand Prix of St. Petersburg on the streets of St. Petersburg, Fla and they also run the Watkins Glen Indy GP (June 4th). I'm going to that race.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

What Darlington are you guys talking about?

This is the Darlington, NC track that NExtel Cup runs on..

darlington3al.th.gif

The design resmebles Gateway (St. Louis) more than any other circuit.

gateway6zo.gif

It does have a Motegi look as well. Motegi is 1.5 low banking.

motegi4yo.gif

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

*wears a wife beater, eats a hot dog, buys a Confederate flag sticker and puts it on his F-250, then dances at a ho-down*

Ok, i beleive all that, but what does it have to do with this thread?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

The second race of this season was the Grand Prix of St. Petersburg on the streets of St. Petersburg, Fla and they also run the Watkins Glen Indy GP (June 4th). I'm going to that race.

Actually, I was talking about Nascar. Sorry if that didn't come across as well. :D

Actually, I was talking about Nascar. Sorry if that didn't come across as well. :D

Gotcha! Nascar runs two road course races each year, Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, CA and Watkins Glen, NY ..another race I will be attending. :D

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Commissioner of

*wears a wife beater, eats a hot dog, buys a Confederate flag sticker and puts it on his F-250, then dances at a ho-down*

:blink:

C2C- The biggest thing about NASCAR cars not handling on Performance road courses is the 3400 lb weight minimum. I can imagine GT cars are considerably lighter and are much more capable of maintaining corner speeds than the heavy stock cars are.

According to FIA rules the minimum for GT cars is 1100kg or 2420 lbs.

certainly makes sense. i know when i do sim racing, i find that the lighter weight cars (sub 3000lb) handle better than heavier cars (3000+lb) on a performance track.

its a shame that nascar doesn't allow lightweight cars, it would be awsome to see Jeff Gordon in a Nissan R390(1098 kg / 2420lb), Dale Jr. in a Saleen S7 TT(1338 kg / 2950 lbs), and Bobby Labonte in a Ferarri Enzo(1370 kg / 3020 lbs). since Nascar has oval tracks, you can really maximize the speed in those cars. There again, thats what street racing is for. :grin:

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

ass. <_<

comma dumb

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived