CFL in Ottawa..again?

NyghtOwl

Apparently, D'Angelo Beverage, which owns Steelback beer as well as Cheetah Energy Drink wants to revive the Ottawa CFL franchise--as the "Ottawa Steelback." More news at this link.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive...6/26/c0907.html

How about those...

Mets?

Packers?

Rangers?

Knicks?

Titans?

Owner of the New York Night Owls 1999 champions in the All World Football League.

Just make it plural. An Ottawa football fan needs a spinal cord of steel to bear the burden of all they've been through the last 20 years or so.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I wonder why they couldn't use the name of the company's energy drink, Cheetah, for their nickname.

However, with the team using the name Steelback, I guess they could follow the trend of the New York/New Jersey Red Bull of MSL and name themselves after a drink.

Also, the name Steelbacks is used for a cricket club in England, which named themselves for a regimental unit in Britain. Their logo is the word "Steelbacks" on a sword.

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

Well, hopefully something good will come out of this owner. "Steelback" sounds like an original name, reminds me of a fish found in Lake Ontario. But I think that name would best suit Hamilton, being the "Steel Capitol of Canada".

I'd call them the Ottawa Steelbacks, with an "s" also. I hope naming the team after a corporate sponser doesn't become a trend in the CFL. Kind of like the Montreal Molsons, that doesn't sound right.

This woulkd be good losing a team is bad they cant afford to have Ottawa fold again.

yeah, at least they will have more than 8 this year, that would have been a fun season... But good someone stepped up and revived the team, why couldn't they just keep the name rennegades?

This is all a publicity stunt as far as I'm concerned.

He hasn't even talked to the league yet and he's already revealing jerseys with his company's name on the back? Not cool.

I don't see how this kind of attitude is any better than what has plagued Ottawa football for 25 years. So far he is simply revealing himself to the public as another hopless "me first" owner.

You can see the uniform concept here ....

http://photos.newswire.ca/cnw-bin/cnw_prev...kUniform-EN.jpg

Looks like a pure publicity grab by Mr. D'Angelo. Those in Southern Ontario familiar with his lame beer commercials featuring him with retired hockey legends will probably get an idea of where this guy is coming from.

The uniform doesn't look too bad, although I can barely see the name on the back of the jersey.

At least they got red socks, I'm nuts about red socks.

As for Mr. D'Angelo making this a publicity stunt...ONLY IN OTTAWA!!!!

What does it say about Reebok and the current state of football uniforms that a hastily-arranged PR stunt can churn out a better uni than the braintrust at Reebok did in 7 tries during last year's CFL overhaul? (Montreal and Edmonton remaining relatively unscathed.)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived