Todd Radom and the Art of the Sports Logo

Maury Brown

The Hardball Times: Todd Radom and the Art of the Sports Logo

Chances are, you?ve never heard of Todd Radom. Chances are very good, you?ve seen his work.

Todd is a bit of an anomaly in sports business these days. He designs logos and brands for professional sport franchises as a single entity. No focus groups. No rolling behemoth of a corporation, just a man and his passion for art and sports.

In baseball, he has designed the logo for the Washington Nationals, the new Angels logo, the logo for the Brooklyn Cyclones, the 2003 World Series logo, the official mark commemorating the 50th Anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier, the primary logo from 1994 to 1999 for the Milwaukee Brewers, and the logo for Fenway Park?s 90th Anniversary, to name but a few. (Getting into the details on how this process works with MLB Properties is a conversation that is off-limits ... a Professional Service Contract precludes him from discussing the particulars of how the process between artist and MLB Properties functions. Therefore, the links above point to all the logos in question on Radom's website).

Outside of baseball, he has designed logos and brand design for the Basketball Hall of Fame, Superbowl XXXVIII, the official logo for the 2004 Houston Super Bowl Host Committee, the Indiana Fever of the WNBA, and many others. He has worked for 14 years with the NFL, NBA, and Major League Baseball.

As I said, you may have never heard of Todd Radom, but if you?re a sports fan, you?ve most assuredly seen his work.

I like a lot of Todd's work, not that I'm an authority or anything.

Plus, based on his altogether too infrequent visits and posts here, he seems like an all right guy. Not an arrogant, stuck-up, thinks his :censored: doesn't stink prick like what's his name... Beef O'Grady?

no, it's Beef O'Gravy....

I saw, I came, I left.

body_pc_main_1.jpg

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

He is a very nice guy from what I have seen of him on the boards. As for his logos, I like most but hate some.

The Jackie Robinson, Fenway, Cyclones, and 2003 World Series logos are fabulous.

I hate the 90s Brewers logo that he did, in fact that is one of my least favorite pro sports logos of all time.

The Nationals is ok, nothing great there, but given the fact that he knew they were keeping the script W cap, he should have developed a logo with at least some cursiveness to it.

As for the Angels, it is not bad, but not terribly different from their 70s and 80s logo, which in my opinion was better. It's like he updated it just to make something different that is not necessarily an improvement.

As for the Angels, it is not bad, but not terribly different from their 70s and 80s logo, which in my opinion was better. It's like he updated it just to make something different that is not necessarily an improvement.

Sometimes that is all a team wants. I like it though.

Tampa Bay on the other hand could be blown up and started from scratch, for every obvious reason.

I can only wish that he was rebranding the Devil Rays.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived