Logo for Local Band

TurnTwo

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also if you do a google image search, most dipictions of a phoenix have a long tail. Now the correct way to draw a phoenix is objective and you are the artist and have the freedom to design the phoenix however you like, but the long tail might be more recognizable.

brianurlacher.png

it's gotten better in the second version, but I think you can push the abstraction even further... do shapes that only suggest a bird, or flames that do the same thing, as was suggested earlier.... start over with a new drawing, instead of trying to rework what you've already got...

but if you're attached to what you've got so far, you've GOT to rework the wings....they're bugging the heck out of me... the anatomy is all weird... if you don't have a strong drawing to start, then it doesn't matter what you do to it, it won't look right...

there's so much to work with with that band name... you're actually lucky in that respect...

I dont like the big, beefy wings. They need to be flaming on the top and bottom, more so on the bottom but not smooth along the top. It doesn't look right...otherwise its improving.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

There's just too much to look at. The two colors, the 'rp' and all the details on the bird. Nobody should have to look hard at this to be able to tell what it is and what they do. It should look like a band logo. People need to be able to instantly know what it's for when they see it. Here are some examples with different text styles.

phoenix.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

There's just too much to look at. The two colors, the 'rp' and all the details on the bird. Nobody should have to look hard at this to be able to tell what it is and what they do. It should look like a band logo. People need to be able to instantly know what it's for when they see it. Here are some examples with different text styles.

phoenix.png

Wow. Those look great, tempest. How did you accomplish that aged effect on some of them?

Also, would you mind if I used these concepts for inspiration?

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

Not at all. That's what they're for. You can use the same bird if you'd like.

To achieve the gritty texture:

1. Get a font with a gritty texture. They are usually listed under 'distressed' or 'grunge' or 'destroyed' or 'weathered' or some category like that.

2. In illustrator, type your word(s) and convert your text to outlines. [Type > Create outlines]

3. Use the direct selection tool to select a bunch of the free artifacts, grits and particles around the letters. Copy and paste them somewhere on the artboard.

4. Move all the artifacts you just pasted together in a random arrangement, then make the whole deal one shape with the pathfinder. [Window > Pathfinder, then click the top left box (Add to shape area) in the pathfinder window. Then click 'Expand' in the pathfinder window.]

5. Move your texture over your image. You can paste it multiple times to take more away and transform it to get a different texture.

6. Select the image and the textures, then subtract the textures from the image. [Click the second box to the right (Subtract from shape area) in the pathfinder window. Then click 'Expand' in the pathfinder window.]

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

These are awesome Tempest. Im lovin the second and third logos. These are a vast improvement compared to the old one. I think you should just let Turn use one of those, it would be a waste not to use them at all. Again, great jorb!

Not at all. That's what they're for. You can use the same bird if you'd like.

To achieve the gritty texture:

1. Get a font with a gritty texture. They are usually listed under 'distressed' or 'grunge' or 'destroyed' or 'weathered' or some category like that.

2. In illustrator, type your word(s) and convert your text to outlines. [Type > Create outlines]

3. Use the direct selection tool to select a bunch of the free artifacts, grits and particles around the letters. Copy and paste them somewhere on the artboard.

4. Move all the artifacts you just pasted together in a random arrangement, then make the whole deal one shape with the pathfinder. [Window > Pathfinder, then click the top left box (Add to shape area) in the pathfinder window. Then click 'Expand' in the pathfinder window.]

5. Move your texture over your image. You can paste it multiple times to take more away and transform it to get a different texture.

6. Select the image and the textures, then subtract the textures from the image. [Click the second box to the right (Subtract from shape area) in the pathfinder window. Then click 'Expand' in the pathfinder window.]

Thanks! I'll get to work after I get back from my baseball game at like 7.

Once again, thanks so much!

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

The only thing here is the artifacts on the bird are too big and too evenly distributed. It will take time to hone the technique.

Archived