Logo for Local Band

TurnTwo

UPDATED: 5-26-06.

RPoverhaul.png

The original post can be found below.

A local band recently approached me looking for a logo/identity.  The band's name is Rising Phoenix.  I presented them with this logo:

rising-phoenix-logo.gif

They liked it but felt it may be a little too cartoonish.  Any suggestions on how to make it less "cartoony"?  I was thinking maybe adding some scorch lines, or jagged edges to the feather.  Maybe it's the color scheme.  I'm not sure.  I'd love to hear how you guys think I should go about making it less cartoony for them.  I'd also love to hear any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks!

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The colors sorta remind me of Queens logo, I like it though not that you could use any different colors. It does look a little cartoony like you said, I'm not quite sure how to fix that though.

A band wants a logo, not a sports team. You need to take a different approach. You have to think about what will make people look at a flyer or cd and think, "Oooh! I'll have to check this out!" Few bands have actual 'logos' in the common sense of the word, i.e., an image that represents them for a long period of time. Most bands are represented simply by a wordmark or a series of wordmarks, and some bands even change their look on each album. The bands that do have logos, have really professional, marketable and simple icons that represent them. Check it.

Great wordmarks:

logo.jpg

logo.jpg

Great logos:

75815.gif

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

You have to make it as simple as possible with alot of thick black lines and no gradiants. It could make a really nice recognizable logo for them and would just look nice. Good try though, but I really think it needs to be simplified.

Also, maybe the body shouldnt be on an angle, more normal profile like where its just a straight view of its body with wings extended and its head fully looking to its right.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

A band wants a logo, not a sports team. You need to take a different approach. You have to think about what will make people look at a flyer or cd and think, "Oooh! I'll have to check this out!" Few bands have actual 'logos' in the common sense of the word, i.e., an image that represents them for a long period of time. Most bands are represented simply by a wordmark or a series of wordmarks, and some bands even change their look on each album. The bands that do have logos, have really professional, marketable and simple icons that represent them. Check it.

Great wordmarks:

logo.jpg

logo.jpg

Great logos:

75815.gif

You're right, tempest. A few bands can get away with big, extravagant logos, but a cool font can work just as well. For this I would suggest something with flames etc.

Do something a little abstract, like the Phoenix Suns secondary logo. Don't plagiarize it, but use it for inspiration.

What you created is nice art, but it's not a logo.

Save the slugalo.

i agree w/ several people above. it needs to be distinct, which yours is, but simple. the best band logos / wordmarks are ones that can be recreated easily by fans, particularly if the band has a younger following. not sure if this one does, but i'd like to see something that a fan of the band could easily sketch out if they so desired--might just be a cool wordmark.

What kind of music do they play? Because if it's a rock band, you might want to make it look a little more rock-ish. It looks like a team logo. Rock band logos should look rough around the edges and DYI. That's a little too cute and polished. I wouldn't buy a t-shirt with that logo if that's what they were selling, ya know?

I would take an image like this...

phoenix.gif

You know, something that looks like it's from an old history book and just make it bigger and crappier and put the logo at the bottom. That would be cool. Bands appropriate images all the time. That one looks like a tattoo, which goes hand in hand with rock. It would look pretty cool printed black on white and white on black on a t-shirt.

201160034_f4c2ccdd98_o.png228795922_2c1d682c64_o.png

simplicity is golden. especially with bands.

heres my band's logo

MadronaDriveLogo4.png

emo :P

If you heard his songs, you'd think otherwise.

Oh wait... they don't have any songs. Hmm.

:P

Archived