World Cup question

Rampart

Why does "England" compete for the World Cup and not the "United Kingdom"?

England is one of the 4 constituent countries of the United Kingdom: England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. For international sporting events like the Olympics, IIHF Championships, and the FIFA Wold Cup, constituent nations and colonies/commonwealths/semi-independant territories participate separately from their mother country (or political entity, in the case of the UK).

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

England is one of the 4 constituent countries of the United Kingdom: England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. For international sporting events like the Olympics, IIHF Championships, and the FIFA Wold Cup, constituent nations and colonies/commonwealths/semi-independant territories participate separately from their mother country (or political entity, in the case of the UK).

Actually, in the Olympics and IIHF they compete as UK. I think it's only in FIFA that they compete as 4 independent nations.

But, in the Olympics they all compete as Great Britain.

I've asked this same question to many British people, and nobody can give me a real rationale answer....

I say they all compete as seperate countries in the Olympics to make it consistent.

Actually, in the Olympics and IIHF they compete as UK. I think it's only in FIFA that they compete as 4 independent nations.

I could have sworn that they've competed seperately, I suppose that was once upon a time. As for ice hockey, Scotland and England do have separate ice hockey federations under the banner of Ice Hockey UK.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I always found taht wierd too, could you imagine how awesome they would be if they merged and became Great Britain for the World Cup?

Acctually Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are suprisingly weaker then England is, there would only be a couple players who would crack the England squad. The team would probably be a bit better, but not as much as one would expect.

1zqy8ok.gif

in the rugby league they compete as Great Britain but in Rugby union, the British and Irish Lions or England, Wales, Scotland or Ireland....strange.....there Cricketers wear great britain colours

Now that I think about it some more, I think it may be because each constituent nation has their own Federation with their own professional leagues and relegation system. Could be wrong (again), as the inner workings of international soccer isn't my forte. :)

In cricket, the are all individual, same in rugby, as England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are all individual.. and lately in the olympics, they compete as one entity called Great Britain and Northern Ireland, hence why they do not compete in olympic soccer.

Off the top of my head I think Ryan Giggs is the only player who could crack the England Squad, maybe James McFadden and maybe Fletcher.

in the rugby league they compete as Great Britain but in Rugby union, the British and Irish Lions or England, Wales, Scotland or Ireland....strange.....there Cricketers wear great britain colours

Now that I think about it some more, I think it may be because each constituent nation has their own Federation with their own professional leagues and relegation system. Could be wrong (again), as the inner workings of international soccer isn't my forte. :)

That's roughly correct. 'Great Britain' isn't a FIFA recognised nation. There were talks about merging, but the non-England countries grumbled against it, probably becasue they know most of them wouldn't make the squad.

That's roughly correct. 'Great Britain' isn't a FIFA recognised nation. There were talks about merging, but the non-England countries grumbled against it, probably becasue they know most of them wouldn't make the squad.

I think it's as much about their professional leagues as their national teams. I think FIFA would allow them to compete as the UK (rather than as their constituent parts) if they merged their domestic professional leagues.

Celtic and Rangers could prolly compete in the EPL, but the rest of the SPL would likely be relegated to the lower divisions. So I can understand why the Scots would want to hang onto their own league.

Wales and NI I'm not sure about -- do they have their own domestic leagues? I know Welsh side Cardiff plays league football w/ English competition, but I don't know if they're an exception. W/ the possible exception of Cardiff, tho, there are no clubs in Wales or NI who could play top flight football w/ English competition.

FIFA does not allow "subnational teams" into their organization (which england, scotland,etc would qualify as) however since England and Scotland where some of the first "countries" to play international matches they have been grandfathered into FIFA.

This is why teams like Tibet and Northern Cyprus play international matches but are not recognized by FIFA.

wales and north ireland both have leagues - the Welsh champions are who Liverpool played in the play-in for the Champion's League last summer - and I think part of the reason is just for tradition.

a couple other Scottish players could possibly make it - david marshall of celtic would make a good young keeper to have behind Robinson, Hartson and Giggs would've made it easy...and here's a thought, George Best would've played wing for the UK team back in his day too. scary.

harperdc.gif

I know Welsh side Cardiff plays league football w/ English competition, but I don't know if they're an exception. W/ the possible exception of Cardiff, tho, there are no clubs in Wales or NI who could play top flight football w/ English competition.

I think Wrexham and Swansea (both Welsh clubs in the English league) might take exception to that.

And there is a League of Wales, where the champions were TNS (Total Network Solutions) but are being renamed by their new sponor, who I cannae recall right now.

Archived