2010 Plympics on NHL size Ice

jkrdevil

Good it should not matter any way the NHLice is good enough

Don't they play on the wider rink in Europe and Russia? I thought they did, but I might be wrong. Anyone can correct me if I am wrong.

i think that if this goes over well that the olympics may just stick to the smaller surface since most of the players play on nhl ice anyway. Although there is no guarantee that the NHL players will be participating after 2010 so maybe not.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

i think that if this goes over well that the olympics may just stick to the smaller surface since most of the players play on nhl ice anyway. Although there is no guarantee that the NHL players will be participating after 2010 so maybe not.

2010 seems like the last olympics for NHL players, 2002 would have been the last olympics had Vancouver not won the bid. I don't mind, however I would like to see a PROPER World Cup taking place, with ONE host country, each 4 years similar to FIFA, the world championships are just played out.

Wasn't GM Place designed with being able to put in the Olympic ice surface in mind? I could have sworn it was. This certainly lessens any chance of a "non-NHL" country succeeding in the Games.

I'm actually a bit disappointed. This is one of the Olympic Committee's stricter rules. I thought they said that they were actually going to be holding some of the games in BC Place to accomodate the larger ice...?

What if, during 2008-2009, they gut out the Pacific Coliseum and restructure it with Olympic ice and retractable seating for the lower rows? The Giants could play in GM Place for the season, and it could give Pacific Coliseum the ability to host more Olympic-ice sized events in the future.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

It looks like the 2010 Olympics will be on the 200x85 size NHL rink. Not surprising when you consider the cost and how short of a turn around they will have to convert the GM Place if they went with the bigger rink.

http://tsn.ca/olympics/news_story/?ID=168148&hubname=

I bet the European leagues thrilled about that. They already can't stand the NHL trying to shoehorn their rules into IIHF competitions, and now they're going to put in NHL rinks? Retarded. :rolleyes:

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I'm actually a bit disappointed. This is one of the Olympic Committee's stricter rules. I thought they said that they were actually going to be holding some of the games in BC Place to accomodate the larger ice...?

What if, during 2008-2009, they gut out the Pacific Coliseum and restructure it with Olympic ice and retractable seating for the lower rows? The Giants could play in GM Place for the season, and it could give Pacific Coliseum the ability to host more Olympic-ice sized events in the future.

And have the Giants move into GM Place for the year?

This is for the hockey players out there; do you really have to change your style of play when going from an European rink to a NHL rink and vice versa?

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

I'm actually a bit disappointed.  This is one of the Olympic Committee's stricter rules.  I thought they said that they were actually going to be holding some of the games in BC Place to accomodate the larger ice...?

What if, during 2008-2009, they gut out the Pacific Coliseum and restructure it with Olympic ice and retractable seating for the lower rows?  The Giants could play in GM Place for the season, and it could give Pacific Coliseum the ability to host more Olympic-ice sized events in the future.

Uh.....sure..........yeah........that sounds like an idea.......

^_^

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

This is for the hockey players out there; do you really have to change your style of play when going from an European rink to a NHL rink and vice versa?

As someone with a Ferris State sig, I'm surprised you even have to ask... I suppose it's a bigger deal in the WCHA (where half of the ten teams have 200x100, and the other half are 200x85) than the CCHA (where only two are 200x100), but still, college is the biggest battle ground for NHL sized vs. Olympic sized rinks there is. Ask any college player (and for our Canadian frinends, I'm talking NCAA, not CIS), and he will gladly tell you that there is a huge difference. Enough that the university of Minnesota built a second hockey arena so their women's team wouldn't have to play at Mariucci, and an Olympic sized ice sheet; enough so that when North Dakota built Ralph Engelstad Arena, the practice rink attached to it was specifically built as Olympic sized, so that when they were going to play on the road at a Olympic sized team building, the team could practice all week leading up to those games on that sized ice.

To those stories, I can add my own. Northern Michigan University houses the US Short Track Olympic Education Center. As part of their upgrade to get the center, while I attended school there, they had to expand their on-campus ice rink. Over one summer, they widened the rink from 200x85 to 200x100. I had played intermural hockey on the old rink, and went out on the new surface for the first time, and thought to myself, "damn, this thing's huge!"

You wouldn't think that an extra 15 feet makes that much difference, until you realize that 15' is times 200' as well. That's an extra 3000 square feet of ice. Or, the size of a moderate four bedroom home...

Moose

Not only is the ice wider, lines and zones are different.

I hope they do respect the IIHF standards as far as where they will place blue lines and goal lines.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

I'm actually a bit disappointed.  This is one of the Olympic Committee's stricter rules.  I thought they said that they were actually going to be holding some of the games in BC Place to accomodate the larger ice...?

What if, during 2008-2009, they gut out the Pacific Coliseum and restructure it with Olympic ice and retractable seating for the lower rows?  The Giants could play in GM Place for the season, and it could give Pacific Coliseum the ability to host more Olympic-ice sized events in the future.

Uh.....sure..........yeah........that sounds like an idea.......

^_^

:D

I am so smart! I am so smart! S-m-r-t...

I have this feeling at the end of the day the 2010 olympics will be pretty much run by the NHL. I think the NHL is going to try to gain as much authority over these games as they can get so there isn't a repeat of this years Olympics.

yes, one of the major things is on offense trying to play wide to spread the defense out to open up the middle, those 15 feet make a big difference

yes, one of the major things is on offense trying to play wide to spread the defense out to open up the middle, those 15 feet make a big difference

Yeah, I suppose in all my ramblings, i never explained why (from a hockey standpoint, anyway) the extra 3000 square feet was such a big deal. Philly soulfan 04's got the jist - more space allows for more offensive creativity. It's why the European game tends to emphasise puck handling and skill, more than the North American game, which emphasises the physical side more than the European game, and vice versa...

Look at it this way. It's easier for a player to escape an open ice hit (or, for that matter, one against the boards) on a larger ice surface. Thus, the physical game isn't as importaint on a 200x100 surface. Make the ice smaller, and you can hit a lot easier - it's harder to hide with the puck, and the physical side is much more importaint...

Moose

Archived