Fox to ink new deal with MLB; TBS also involved

txhockeyfan

Source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/base...deal/index.html

Fox to ink new deal with MLB

Posted: Tuesday July 11, 2006 9:09AM; Updated: Tuesday July 11, 2006 10:58AM

By Jon Heyman, SI.com

PITTSBURGH -- Major League Baseball has reached a new seven-year TV deal with Fox, baseball executives told SI.com on Tuesday morning.

The new agreement, which will be announced at 5:30 p.m. today by commissioner Bud Selig, will guarantee baseball more than the $400 million it received from the network's previous contract, which expires after this season.

According to the new deal, Fox will air the World Series, the All-Star Game, a schedule of Saturday games and one League Championship Series each year, alternating between the leagues from year to year. The other League Championship Series is still up for bids.

Also, TBS is expected to get rights to the Division Series starting in 2007 and weekly regular-season games in '08.

Source: http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=10332

July 11, 2006

Networks Reach New Baseball Agreements

World Series, Game of the Week Deals on Tap

By Jon Lafayette

Fox and Turner Sports reached new agreement with Major League Baseball that keeps the World Series on Fox and creates a game of the week package on Turner, which will also televise on the divisional playoff series.

Fox is paying about $250 million a year over seven years for its baseball package, according to sources familiar with the transactions. The Fox deals include the All-Star Game, a Saturday exclusive game-of-the-week package (expanded to 26 weeks from 18 weeks) and one League Championship Series per season, airing the National League series in even numbered years and the American League in odd numbered years.

Fox had wanted to maintain its relationship with baseball while limiting its payments for expensive sports rights. Under the new arrangement, Fox will no longer televise the divisional playoffs and will broadcast fewer League Championship Series games, giving its entertainment division additional time slots in the fall.

Turner Sports, which already televises Braves games, jumps in with a non-exclusive package of Sunday afternoon games that will be blacked out in local markets. Turner will as air the divisional championship series, the sources said.

Negotiations continue between Major League Baseball, Fox and Turner to determine which network will air the second League Championship Series.

The latest deals appear to leave ESPN, which carries baseball games in the regular season, out of the playoff mix.

MLB is expected to announce the deals this afternoon at a press conference from the All Star Game in Pittsburgh.

Also, TBS is expected to get rights to the Division Series starting in 2007 and weekly regular-season games in '08.

It's about damn time. I wish they would've done this when they knew for a fact the Braves were gonna make it to the playoffs. Not so sure this year, but they'll pull out a wildcard spot.

With that being said, my feelings for Fox getting a deal again...In the immortal words of Keenan from "Keenan and Kel"

WHYYYYY?! :(

I didn't realize the TBS deal was almost final. That makes the NHL deal with OLN officially a disaster since the network couldn't get another major sport. Hopefully the NHL will leave OLN after next season and maybe go to Viacom owned Spike to where they are on a channel with a bette precence and they can also get cross promotion on viacom owned MTV.

As for Baseball it will be interesting. I'm not really a fan of TBS coverage now although that probably has more to do with me not being a Braves fan.

Just think, the World Series will have been on FOX for fourteen consecutive years by the end of this contract. Vroom! Whoosh! Well you take the good with the bad, the bitter with the sweet. Yeah we're stuck with Joe Buck, but we're spared from Bob Costas. I'm thinking that ESPN might negotiate another deal to get in on the Division Series and ABC will get the other League Championship Series.

Just think, the World Series will have been on FOX for fourteen consecutive years by the end of this contract. Vroom! Whoosh! Well you take the good with the bad, the bitter with the sweet. Yeah we're stuck with Joe Buck, but we're spared from Bob Costas. I'm thinking that ESPN might negotiate another deal to get in on the Division Series and ABC will get the other League Championship Series.

MLB also announced that TBS got the full Division series. Any games that take place at the same time will be on TNT.

ESPN is out of postseason baseball.

More and more, sports are headed to Cable. In 20 years I wouldn't be surprised if only marquee events (World Series, Super Bowl, etc.) were on regular TV.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

Eww... more MLB on Fox? That's no good. I'm sick of getting regional games instead of one, Nationally televised game. I'm sick of forgetting about this regional crap and seeing that the BoSox are playing a game on Fox, only to be disappointed by having to watch Dodgers/Giants (Nothing about that particular rivalry, but that's the game I always seem to get and both teams can't lose, so I have no ineterest).

As for the commentary, Joe Buck isn't the problem. Tim McCarver is. If they got rid of him, the sound effects, and tweaked the score bar thingy a bit, I wouldn't mind baseball on Fox at all -- though I still can't forgive them for that lame Star Wars opening video thingy for the 2004 ALCS.

IUe6Hvh.png

ESPN is out of postseason baseball.

And so they are. I must've missed that. I'm betting that ESPN will still buy the rights to the other LCS and then 'buy time' on ABC, as they do with the NBA. Baseball is likely to insist on broadcast coverage for that other LCS. If they don't, then they're :censored: stupid. What happens if the NLCS on FOX is Padres-Cardinals and the ALCS on ESPN is Yankees-Red Sox? NBC is out of the question.

Oh, and no Miller/Morgan in the Division Series. There's another upside. Let's review:

Buck: bad

No Costas: very good

McCarver: very bad

Maybe no Miller: good

FOX Attitude: very bad

Maybe no Morgan: very good

Conclusion: could be worse

Archived