Greatest Sports Underdog Story of All-Time

maz

With that being said, Chaminade beating Virginia on Virginia's home court is the greatest upset in sports history. Chaminade was in the NAIA. Virginia was #1 in the country, and then they were hosting. If that ever happens again, then I will eat my shoe.

That game was played in Maui, Hawaii, on Chaminade's home court.

Link

As i said, only going by that, yes, it would win.

Bit the 1980 olympics, as i said, meant much more than that.

You cant beat nuclear politics. 

Well then we should change the subject of this thread to "Greatest Event for National Pride via Sports".

You've made some valid points, CC97. But you're forgetting the magnitude of the Miracle on Ice.

The whole thing became a showdown of good guys vs. bad guys. The Bastion of Freedom vs. the Evil Empire. Sure, that amounted to national pride, but seriously, has there ever been a rivalry EVER in the history of the world as there was between the U.S. and Soviet Union?

But it was more than that. It was also college kids vs. seasoned pros. The Soviet players themselves said they couldn't believe they got beat by a bunch of college kids.

Also, which is more remembered -- the British win over Canada or the U.S. win over the Soviet Union? Heck, is there even a nickname to go with the British victory? Anything near "Miracle on Ice"?

Sorry, CC97, but this is a slam dunk.

1966 World Cup Italy 0-1 North Korea

The Italians were pelted with tomatoes when they got back home.

Pak-Doo Ik scored the only goal.

127205023_ee17c3ddd2_m.jpg

The Right will always be wrong,

Conservatives-Dragging the world kicking and screaming into the 19th century.

Well then we should change the subject of this thread to "Greatest Event for National Pride via Sports".

You've made some valid points, CC97. But you're forgetting the magnitude of the Miracle on Ice.

The whole thing became a showdown of good guys vs. bad guys. The Bastion of Freedom vs. the Evil Empire. Sure, that amounted to national pride, but seriously, has there ever been a rivalry EVER in the history of the world as there was between the U.S. and Soviet Union?

But it was more than that. It was also college kids vs. seasoned pros. The Soviet players themselves said they couldn't believe they got beat by a bunch of college kids.

Also, which is more remembered -- the British win over Canada or the U.S. win over the Soviet Union? Heck, is there even a nickname to go with the British victory? Anything near "Miracle on Ice"?

Basically what I said only you said it much better.

oBIgzrL.png

Better Marketing != Bigger Upset

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

After looking at both arguments about the miracle on Ice...They might not have won the Revolution, but when it comes to hockey upsets the UK got it. I mean, the USA was up-and-coming and their time was bound to come.

The way Chris makes it, the UK seriously came out of nowhere and beat the juggernaut. So yeah, politically and patriotically, anybody would say Miracle on Ice. Me, I'm gonna agree with CC.

With that being said, Chaminade beating Virginia on Virginia's home court is the greatest upset in sports history. Chaminade was in the NAIA. Virginia was #1 in the country, and then they were hosting. If that ever happens again, then I will eat my shoe.

if it hasn't been corrected already,chaminade hosted

Too me its 1980 Team USA Hockey hands down the Soviets were so good they dominated NHL All-Stars and to lose to College kids, most who never even sniffed the NHL is stunning beyond belief. Plus at the time the Soviets were winning the Cold War, the US was in a minidepression unemployment was high inflation out of control it was bad times.

Team USA won so did Ronald Reagan and the rest was history.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived