Greatest Sports Underdog Story of All-Time

maz

I still think the UK Ice Hockey teams victory over Team Canada in 1936 (or 1932) was the greatest olympic hockey upset ever... but noone agrees with me.

That's right. Even the guys ON that UK team think the US 1980 was a bigger upset. All the UK guys did was beat the Canadians for chrissake.

:P

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I still think the UK Ice Hockey teams victory over Team Canada in 1936 (or 1932) was the greatest olympic hockey upset ever... but noone agrees with me.

When all but 1 played and trained in Canada ( in a few cases against players from the Canadian team) for some time in their careers, it kind of takes the edge off of the upset factor.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

When all but 1 played and trained in Canada ( in a few cases against players from the Canadian team) for some time in their careers, it kind of takes the edge off of the upset factor.

I know all Americans will disagree with me because 1980 is supposed to be untouchable... but here I go defending my reason again.

The Canadian hockey team at the time dominated international hockey like you couldn't imagine... much more than the Soviet team did in 1980.

In 1920, the Canadian team won gold (i don't have the results, sorry, but I have seen in the past that they did dominate)

In 1924 the Canadian team won the gold by scores of 30-0, 22-0, 33-0 in round robin before beating the UK 19-2 in the semis, and the US 6-1 in the gold.

In 1928 the Canadian team won the gold by scores of 11-0, 14-0 (vs the UK), and 13-0 and placing first in the medal round

In 1932 the Canadian team won the gold again, not by quite dominating scores, but still quite dominant, winning 2-1, 4-1, 9-0, 5-0, 10-0 before tying their last game 2-2.

Then in 1936, the Canadian team won 8-1, 11-0, and 5-2 in the round robin, then in the medal round winning 15-0, 6-2, 7-0, and 1-0. The one blemish, a 2-1 loss in the medal round to the UK that won them the gold.

Hell, the United Kingdom hockey team didn't even qualify for the 1932 Olympics, yet here they were, gold medal winners, defeating a team that hadn't lost an olympic game yet in the first 5 tournaments. The Canadians had outscored their opponents 208-12 since 1924, with a record of 20-0-1.

In my opinion... there is no argument.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

One that isn't much remembered any more...

1964 Tokyo Olympics. Billy Mills, an unheralded U.S. runner and Native American, wins the 10,000 meters, defeating Ron Clarke of Australia who held the world record, defending champion Pyotr Bolotnikov of the Soviet Union, and Murray Halberg of New Zealand, who had won the 5000 meters in 1960. Mills had finished second in the US Olympic Trials and was a minute behind Clarke's time in the preliminaries. No American had ever won the 10,000 before Billy Mills did it, and no one from the Western Hemisphere has done it since.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

I know all Americans will disagree with me because 1980 is supposed to be untouchable... but here I go defending my reason again.

The Canadian hockey team at the time dominated international hockey like you couldn't imagine... much more than the Soviet team did in 1980.

In 1920, the Canadian team won gold (i don't have the results, sorry, but I have seen in the past that they did dominate)

In 1924 the Canadian team won the gold by scores of 30-0, 22-0, 33-0 in round robin before beating the UK 19-2 in the semis, and the US 6-1 in the gold.

In 1928 the Canadian team won the gold by scores of 11-0, 14-0 (vs the UK), and 13-0 and placing first in the medal round

In 1932 the Canadian team won the gold again, not by quite dominating scores, but still quite dominant, winning 2-1, 4-1, 9-0, 5-0, 10-0 before tying their last game 2-2.

Then in 1936, the Canadian team won 8-1, 11-0, and 5-2 in the round robin, then in the medal round winning 15-0, 6-2, 7-0, and 1-0. The one blemish, a 2-1 loss in the medal round to the UK that won them the gold.

Hell, the United Kingdom hockey team didn't even qualify for the 1932 Olympics, yet here they were, gold medal winners, defeating a team that hadn't lost an olympic game yet in the first 5 tournaments. The Canadians had outscored their opponents 208-12 since 1924, with a record of 20-0-1.

Wow. A canadian defending his own country's loss.

These were COLLEGE kids playing.

The USA has done well in International since then {well, except fot the latest olympics} The UK has still done nothing since then.

Not only that, but the '80 olympics reflected much greater things.

The cold war.

The USSR and the USA were bitter enemies. These were the greatest bragging rights one could get without starting World War III.

Canada was still considered a British colony in the 30's.

When you go by pure talent, sure, the '36 olympics would win. But when going by talent, age difference, and entire world politics, 1980 wins hands down.

oBIgzrL.png

The USA has done well in International since then {well, except fot the latest olympics} The UK has still done nothing since then.

The cold war.

The USSR and the USA were bitter enemies. These were the greatest bragging rights one could get without starting World War III.

When you go by pure talent, sure, the '36 olympics would win. But when going by talent, age difference, and entire world politics, 1980 wins hands down.

Canada had outscored it's opponents 208 to 12... in hockey... they were 20-0-1 over the course of 12 years. That's an average win of 10-1... over 12 years.

And their first lost was to a team that didn't even qualify for the previous olympics.

And the fact that the UK hasn't fielded a successful team since then only adds fuel to the fact that it was a much greater upset.

---

Chris Creamer

Disagree there. From 1963-1984, The Soviets won gold at the World Championships all but three times, and in both times they won silver (1972, 1976), it came on the heels on yet another Olympic triumph. For as supposedly good as the other nations were, the Soviets routinely drubbed them (See: 1981 Canada Cup Final). The British team in 1936 all (but one) played in Canada, and played against their Canadian counterparts. Top 3 hockey upset of all time? yep. Number One? Nah, Miracle on Ice is still there, and I'd put the British Gold in a tossup with the Americans at Squaw Valley (They smoked Czechoslovakia 16-9 in their two matchups, and beat Canada 2-1 and the Soviets 3-2 in the medal round to take the gold.)

*edit*

The scores against such hockey giants like Belgium and Hungary don't tell the story of how strong the Canadian national team was. The Canadians rarely won big against Czechoslovakia, and the Americans were always a tough team to beat. It's not too much of a surprise that they were beaten by basically a team of ringers, about half of whom in fact were dual Canadian-British citizens, especially in the pipes, where the goaltender was born in Scotland, moved to Canada at age 7, and only went back to the UK to play hockey in 1935.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

The cold war.

Canada had outscored it's opponents 208 to 12... in hockey... they were 20-0-1 over the course of 12 years. That's an average win of 10-1... over 12 years.

And their first lost was to a team that didn't even qualify for the previous olympics.

And the fact that the UK hasn't fielded a successful team since then only adds fuel to the fact that it was a much greater upset.

As i said, only going by that, yes, it would win.

Bit the 1980 olympics, as i said, meant much more than that.

You cant beat nuclear politics.

oBIgzrL.png

As i said, only going by that, yes, it would win.

Bit the 1980 olympics, as i said, meant much more than that.

You cant beat nuclear politics.

Well then we should change the subject of this thread to "Greatest Event for National Pride via Sports".

---

Chris Creamer

After looking at both arguments about the miracle on Ice...They might not have won the Revolution, but when it comes to hockey upsets the UK got it. I mean, the USA was up-and-coming and their time was bound to come.

The way Chris makes it, the UK seriously came out of nowhere and beat the juggernaut. So yeah, politically and patriotically, anybody would say Miracle on Ice. Me, I'm gonna agree with CC.

With that being said, Chaminade beating Virginia on Virginia's home court is the greatest upset in sports history. Chaminade was in the NAIA. Virginia was #1 in the country, and then they were hosting. If that ever happens again, then I will eat my shoe.

The way Chris makes it, the UK seriously came out of nowhere and beat the juggernaut.

...with the best Canadian goaltender not to play in the NHL at the time backstopping them... <_<

Canada making the '86 World Cup. Did they win? No, the cheating Argentinians won, but Canada made it in.

Maradona cheated in 1986, not the entire Argentinean team.

Well, there goes my opinion:

Hockey: The 1980 Miracle On the Ice. For all the things around that final.

Soccer: 1950 Uruguay (the "Maracanazo") and 1954 West Germany ("The Miracle of Bern), both winning the World Cup.

Baseball: 1960 Pirates and 1914 Braves. But maybe the 1960 Pirates are most sounded because of that ending HR...

NFL: 1968 Jets.

Basket: Argentina giving the first defeat ever to a US Dream Team in 2002.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived