MISL scoring revision

Evan

http://www.misl.net/news/?cat=1&id=4650

Multi-Point Goal Scoring System In Play for 2006-07 Season

Following Decision By Major Indoor Soccer League Management Committee

WESTPORT, Conn. (Tuesday, July 25, 2006) ? The Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) announced today that the MISL Management Committee has approved the use of a multi-point scoring system, effective for the upcoming 2006-07 Regular Season that will commence in early-November. All goals scored will now be worth two points a piece, except those goals scored on shot attempts from on or beyond the 45-foot arc surrounding the goal, which will be worth three points. With the system changes, there will no longer be one-point goal scoring.

The use of a multi-point scoring system is not without precedent in our game. For much of the history of this League, and until as recently as three seasons ago, a multi-point scoring system was a feature of North America?s top professional indoor soccer league. Beginning in 1988, a multi-point system was adopted to include one-, two-, and three-point goals. The single-point goal scoring system was in effect for the past three seasons, having been approved by the MISL Management Committee in May, 2003.

?This decision followed vigorous discussion and lively debate among MISL Management Committee members, representing each of our member clubs,? MISL Commissioner Steve Ryan stated. "The Management Committee ultimately adopted the revised scoring system in an attempt to increase scoring in our games. This change along with the rules modifications which were implemented in recent seasons should provide players with more space to operate and create around the goal area, as defenses must now step out to contest the longer range shots, opening the field of play. The multi-point scoring system also provides teams and fans alike with more frequent opportunities to quickly escape a deficit with a single shot."

The League?s all-time leader in three-point goals is Joe Reiniger of the St. Louis Steamers, who has totaled 113 career three-point goals in a League career with St. Louis and Milwaukee that began in 1993.

In August, Major Indoor Soccer League clubs will announce the dates of their respective home openers for the upcoming MISL Regular Season. A full MISL schedule will follow later in the month. Each MISL member club will again play a 30-game regular season, highlighted by the 2007 MISL All-Star Game and the 2007 MISL Championship Series. For more information on the MISL, visit the blah blah....

I've always loved multiple point scoring, its was a positive inflation of scoring. Its like I get to relive the early days of when I first started watching the NPSL. I did not see this coming, but hey, I will take what I can get.

peshtigobloglogocc.jpg twittericonkingslut.gif

Another gong in the death knell.

In over 20 years, the powers that be in the AISA/NPSL/MISL have never realized that they're a niche sport. They've thrown millions of dollars away in the process. Unfortunately for some reason they also can't accept the simple and universally understood concept that one goal equals one point.

/knows some MISL owners past and present

//was approached by the CISL to put an expansion team in Raleigh in 1995

nav-logo.png

Unfortunately for some reason they also can't accept the simple and universally understood concept that one goal equals one point.

Agreed. I have always hated the multiple point scoring. It is a ridiculous gimmick that doesn't lead to more actual goals, but instead just doubles the value of most of them. 12-8 is not inherently more exciting than 6-4, because either way you've probably just seen 10 goals.

Indoor soccer was at its best in the MISL of the early 80s. The league managed to produce an exciting product without the need for multiple point scoring. If the current MISL could replicate that level of play (which they have never come close to doing), the fans would respond regardless of the scoring system used (though we purists would still prefer the old-fashioned method).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Why doesn't the MISL just join with the MLS, build soccer-only stadiums in those cities and bring those teams to the MLS? Add in San Diego and Rochester and we'll finally have enough clubs that we can put together the one-table system and join with the rest of the American continents for large international club tournaments like the UEFA Champions League. Plus it will make the MLS playoffs more meaningful since right now I think only 4 teams in the whole league DON'T make the playoffs. That's embarassing.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Why doesn't the MISL just join with the MLS, build soccer-only stadiums in those cities and bring those teams to the MLS? Add in San Diego and Rochester and we'll finally have enough clubs that we can put together the one-table system and join with the rest of the American continents for large international club tournaments like the UEFA Champions League. Plus it will make the MLS playoffs more meaningful since right now I think only 4 teams in the whole league DON'T make the playoffs. That's embarassing.

Then we might as well merge the AFL and AF2 teams with the NFL.

Save the slugalo.

Why? Before the NHL expanded in the 1990s, 5 of the league's 21 teams wouldn't make the playoffs.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

While there may be a market for some of these teams, you're still dealing with an inferior product.

philly.png

Indoor soccer is a great sport, but unfortunately like its outdoor counterpart, it has nearly buried itself several times by trying to be more than it really is - which is one of the reasons when I was approached by the CISL about starting a Raleigh team, I politely declined.

The background: someone in the league had apparently done some asking around and found out that (i) I was someone who had some experience in starting up new sports-related ventures in the area, and (ii) I had more than $ 1.50 in the bank.

The initial approach was simple enough - "we'd like you to spearhead an effort to bring a CISL franchise to Raleigh," followed by an invitation to attend their all-star game and see "the product first-hand." Bad idea - the all-star game wasn't that poorly attended, but it was held in an NHL arena where, you guessed it, it looked as though there was no one in attendance thanks to tons of empty seats.

When the league's Commissioner (sorry but his name escapes me right now) broached the subject of putting a team in town, I replied that I thought Dorton Arena (capacity 4,500 or so) would be a great venue and I wouldn't mind exploring it further. "Oh, no!" he exclaimed. "If we put a team in the Raleigh market, it's going to be at the (then in the planning stages) new ESA." (capacity roughly what? 18, 19 thou?)

Now rent for Dorton Arena at the time was $1,000 per night vs. a percentage of gross receipts (its now higher, but not by that much). Rent for the ESA per night was $50K per night vs. a higher percentage of the gross. I'd gone in knowing this, having done at least a little homework on my own. "Do you really think you're going to find someone willing to commit that kind of money for the ESA when they won't draw any more than they'd get if they played at Dorton?" I asked somewhat incredulously.

"You obviously don't know the market for this game," he exclaimed, and that basically was the end of the discussion. Flash forward: the CISL died a while later, indoor soccer still hasn't come to Raleigh, and I, thankfully, didn't piss away my life savings.

nav-logo.png

Indoor soccer was at its best in the MISL of the early 80s. The league managed to produce an exciting product without the need for multiple point scoring. If the current MISL could replicate that level of play (which they have never come close to doing), the fans would respond regardless of the scoring system used (though we purists would still prefer the old-fashioned method).

Agreed 100%

Archived