Anybody see the new NFL ref's uniforms?

In 5..4..3..2..1

They suck Reebok really messed these up. Just on NFL Network.The cold weather uni feature black baggy pants with a white stripe instead of the white knickers with the black and white stripped socks. Real sloppy looking IMO. They added more black to the shirts as well the whole sleeve goes black instead of remaining a black and white stripe pattern.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First I've heard of it. Most high school and college referees wear gear supplied by Honig's, a company based out of Michigan (the owner is a Big Ten referee). As far as I've seen, the only equipment that carries a brand is the shoes, which are Reebok. Honig's website has no information about these new uniforms.

If Reebok is supplying the officials' uniforms, this is news to me. I don't like the idea of black pants with a white stripe. It will make them look like basketball officials.

I can't see the point of making the entire sleeve black. It's not like the referee has his hand straight up during a play (like they do in hockey)...any time arms are raised is during dead ball situations (like a touchdown, signalling a penalty, or indicating the down). It's not hard for one official to see another one, so it seems pointless to make the sleeves a different color in that respect.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

They suck Reebok really messed these up. Just on NFL Network.The cold weather uni feature black baggy pants with a white stripe instead of the white knickers with the black and white stripped socks. Real sloppy looking IMO. They added more black to the shirts as well the whole sleeve goes black instead of remaining a black and white stripe pattern.

About time the NFL refs left the 1950's in terms of uniform style.

Hey, they're the most recognized uniforms in the league. Why would you change a classic?

:P

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Hey, they're the most recognized uniforms in the league. Why would you change a classic?

:P

The refs havn't had as much success in their classic look as other traditional teams :P

(All though rumours presist that the Refs won SB XL, there is daming evidence that the Steelers did infact beat the Seahawks :P )

How else are you going to dress the referees? Unless you go different colors (like soccer) or red pinstripes (like the AFL), there aren't many options left that still make them recognizable as referees. Unless baseball, the officials are in the middle of the action at all times, not just standing around weating for a play to happen. They must be distinguishable from the other players.

Looking like baseball players is one of the only uniforms that allows free movement, like sprinting downfield, outside of wearing shorts. So the uniform has to be functional as well as aesthetically different (and somewhat not unpleasant) from the other teams on the field.

Unlike other sports whose officials wear black and white stripes shirts, in football, the referees' knickers are about the same length as football pants. If the refs wear black, it is possible to get them confused with players (if looking from the waist down, which is necessary in some cases to determine possession and in-bounds/out-of-bounds eligibility). No team wears solid white pants, they all have stripes, padding, and a bit of sheen to them, so they stand out against the refs' knickers.

As far as not changing since the 1950's, the uniforms have become a little more form-fitting since then. No ties, berets or stirrups (except in Canada) either. And the officials have position letters and number identification on them as well.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Best officials' uniforms in all of sports, and Reebok's going to wreck them, too...

Does the fact that the sleeves will be black mean they're going to a vest look? That would be horrendous. It looks bad enough on 20-something baseball players; I can't wait to see it on a 60-year-old line judge.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Well, this is terrible. I mean the only reason I even watch NFL games is to check out the sweet referee attire.

You really add a lot with your posts. I'm glad you're a useless member of this board. Honestly, why are you on here if you hate what people talk about in these threads...just because it doesn't interest you doesn't mean you're a hardass.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Well, this is terrible. I mean the only reason I even watch NFL games is to check out the sweet referee attire.

You really add a lot with your posts. I'm glad you're a useless member of this board. Honestly, why are you on here if you hate what people talk about in these threads...just because it doesn't interest you doesn't mean you're a hardass.

I find it amusing that what NFL referees wear actually conerns people.

yankeesbanner3xe5.jpg

I find it amusing you think you're funny.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

You do realize the purpose of this message board, right?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I find it amusing you think you're funny.

When did I say that? I make a simple post and you come off harassing me for no reason. Take it easy big guy, it's only a message board. Don't you have anything better to do?

yankeesbanner3xe5.jpg

Last time I checked it was a sports logo board, am I right? I'm not really seeing a connection between sports logos and referee attire.

yankeesbanner3xe5.jpg

I know this board is about general sports, but this specific forum is sports logos. I would completely understand if there was a seperate uniform discussion forum and this was in there. But anyway, that's besides the point...

My original post was the same thing you said about being uninterested, I was just being sarcastic.

yankeesbanner3xe5.jpg

Last time I checked it was a sports logo board, am I right? I'm not really seeing a connection between sports logos and referee attire.

Yes, it is a sports logo board. But, you also have topics on here about uniform concepts and even random topics. It's all apart of the game around here.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Archived