Mets to Wear '86 Uniforms on Friday Night!

benJAMMIN039

I've never been a fan of the 80's Mets look at all.

They should just drop the black and go back to these, which were perfect...

nl_1996_newyork.gif

So true

You know, I was going though the last 20 years of Mets unis on Dressed to the Nines today, too... and those are the EXACT ones I picked out and thought "perfect!" It has been all downhill since then.

Those are Mets original Unis as well, save for the addition of front numbers that happened in 1964. Same unis they wore in '69 and '73.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2002 is the last time I can remember them wearing these:

Here's Mike Bacsik (Who? is an appropriate question to ask):

a_mets_sp.jpg

Here's the Mo Vaughn that nobody needs to see:

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/51683269.j...1AF7E606D866F1C

See... those just LOOK like baseball uniforms to me. I know they're not "really" old school... but that's what teams wore (and as I mentioned before, the Mets were THE team the year I started watching baseball) when I started paying attention. So to me, that just IS baseball. Which is weird, because I'm no fan of pullover jersies in general. But for those, it's just perfect.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Your hip-hop argument is laughable.

You don't know much about marketing, do you...?

You don't know much about Hip-Hop, do you...?

He is right, throwbacks have been going out of style lately...Fitted caps are still in like Flynn, but as for throwbacks...nah.

First of all, you don't want to start an argument that you know that you absolutely can not win.

Second, you are correct about throwbacks going out of style.

Your hip-hop argument is laughable.

You don't know much about marketing, do you...?

You don't know much about Hip-Hop, do you...?

He is right, throwbacks have been going out of style lately...Fitted caps are still in like Flynn, but as for throwbacks...nah.

First of all, you don't want to start an argument that you know that you absolutely can not win.

Second, you are correct about throwbacks going out of style.

Um.... I'm lost now. Which one of you knows hip-hop, and which one of you knows marketing?

Let's get an answer - Throwbacks: in or out?

Just hope they remember to NOT wear the black hats...it's the Mets though, so I expect them to screw something up...like not wearing a hat with a blue button but staying lazy and keeping the orange one that they now have...

No orange buttons on the hats. But they're all wearing longer pants. No stirrups showing

God this is bringing me back to my youth.

not only do the hats have the blue pin on the top, not the orange one...looks like they painted over the orange on the top of the helmets....so that the helmets match the hats. guess its fair to say the mets did this one right...

in addition, when they wore these a couple years ago (the mike basick pic) youll notice the "racing stripes" on the pants ended at the waistline, didnt go up all the way. the ones they are wearing toniht are correct....stripe goes all the way.

everton.png

It also looked like they were wearing the 25th anniversary of the Mets patch that the team wore then.

It's actually a modified 20th anniversary of the 86 team patch that resembled the 25th anniversary patch. Instead of saying 1962-1986 it said 1986-2006

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/photo?slug=r36...01&prov=reuters

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/photo?slug=821...nyeb114&prov=ap

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/photo?slug=get...7_pm&prov=getty

Just got back from the game and a postgame diner run.

Loved it. Absolutely loved seeing them in it. From where I was sitting, it looked like they had the MLB logo on the back of the hat (which was not around in 86) but it didn't appear to have an orange button on top. I'll let that slide. If they did in fact paint the top of the helmets blue that's also a +. Again, don't mind the coolflo because if its safer for the players, so be it.

I also loved that they had some 1986 diamondvision clips for LETS GO METS and slamming the door on the inning...that was nice to see. And Jane Jarvis--it was probably a recording of her, but hearing an organ prominent at Shea again was great.

Can we wear them again tomorrow too please?

On edit: NO BLACK, NO DROPSHADOWS!!!!

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

NO ONE WORE STIRRUPS?? :blink:

That is really really lame.

NO ONE WORE STIRRUPS?? 
Doubt it. Of anyone (coaches and players included) only Lastings Milledge was the one to show off some sock, but no stirrups. I can't speak for any member of the team who didn't emerge from the dugout (I ran out to beat traffic after the final out, didn't see the on field game-over congratualtory high fives), but I doubt it. Here's Lastings:

full.getty-57209962ct025_colorado_rock_11_48_10_pm.jpg

He just needs to learn how to make his racing stripe straight :D

They're wearing them again today! Sweetness

On edit: just saw El Duque though, and he has an orange button on his cap :(

And Keith Hernandez on air just said they're not wearing the right hats tonight but did last night...but a dugout shot showed some players with blue buttons....very inconsistent....

Archived