Junior Seau to Un-Retire

Pharos04

From Foxsports.com:

Junior Seau is looking to join the New England Patriots, just three days after the San Diego Chargers threw him a lavish retirement party.

"Junior left a message for Chargers President Dean Spanos today alerting him that he may sign a contract and play for the New England Patriots," the Chargers said Thursday in a statement. "If, in fact, he chooses to continue his playing career, we wish him good health and the best of luck this season. Junior's place in the Chargers Hall of Fame awaits him when his career is over."

The San Diego Union-Tribune first reported on its Web site that Seau was heading to Boston for a tryout and could sign by the end of the week. Seau's agent, Marvin Demoff, did not return several calls from The Associated Press.

Reached in Chicago, where the Chargers will play the Bears on Friday night, Spanos declined comment. The Patriots did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but coach Bill Belichick recalled Monday that he got to know Seau in Hawaii in 1998 - one of Seau's 12 Pro Bowl selections.

"He's always been a very energetic, high-energy type of player that has made a lot of big plays through his career," Belichick said when asked to comment on Seau's retirement. "He's had a good career, 16 years he's been playing, pretty good."

The Patriots are looking for linebackers because Tedy Bruschi has a broken hand and Willie McGinest, another mainstay of their three Super Bowl titles, signed with the Cleveland Browns as a free agent. Chad Brown and Monte Beisel are also hurt.

Seau grew up in suburban San Diego and starred at Southern California before the Chargers took him fifth overall in the 1990 draft. He led San Diego to the 1995 Super Bowl - its only appearance in the NFL title game - but was cut loose in the spring of 2003.

He played three seasons in Miami before the Dolphins released him.

"It's pretty easy. When a team doesn't want you or need you, retire, buddy," he told a crowd of about 300 family, friends, players and team executives Monday at Chargers' headquarters.

"I'm not retiring. I am graduating. Today is my graduation day. Retirement means that you'll just go ahead and live on your laurels and surf all day in Oceanside. It ain't going to happen."

Even as he announced his retirement, Seau said he was healthy and still able to play. Asked if his decision was irreversible, Seau said: "I can't answer that. I really can't.

"What situation can get me out of it? I don't know," he said. "If there's a need team out there, I'm definitely going to look at it. But we're almost halfway through training camp. I'm 37 years old."

Sounds like the Pats might be getting a little defensive assistance to stand in for Bruschi while he heals and almost as a replacement for McGinest. Thoughts on this and people coming out of retirement to continue playing in general?

It's the nature of an athlete to unretire. Even as they decline with age, the elite, like Seau, retain the capacity to play with the best. Their passion for the game, the very passion that made them the elite, allows them to continue. As long as they can contribute to a team (i.e., not Michael Jordan with the Wizards), then I have no problem with unretiring.

In this particular case, I may finally root for the Patriots, hoping Seau can finally get the ring he deserves.

This makes me shake my head: "just three days after the San Diego Chargers threw him a lavish retirement party."

Why would you do that? Why not make your decision and stay with it... or just don't retire until you're 100% sure?

ucnu112sig.png

This makes me shake my head: "just three days after the San Diego Chargers threw him a lavish retirement party."

Why would you do that? Why not make your decision and stay with it... or just don't retire until you're 100% sure?

Ya, he's an idiot.

GREEEEEAT... just what we fecking need. Another "human interest story" coming from the Patriots. As IF we didn't have enough Teddy "the human cure for cancer" Bruschi shoved down our throats... now we get to hear about the cagey vet giving it a go on that last year of "glory." God, I hope he slips on an old "Tecmo Super Bowl" game cartridge and breaks his hip, saving us from this travesty.

Bitter Buffalo fan much? Nah, not me! :P

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

It seems the Patriots are borrowing a page from the Red Sox book of signing veterans. Had this happened a few years back, it might not seem so bad. But now it just seems a waste of time. If they wanted a warm body to hold the fort surly they could have found someone a bit......younger.

Really, he should have retired before he went to Miami. He could have ended his career in San Diego with some gas still in the tank and no-one would have faulted him for it.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Y'know, if he didn't sign with the team who's expected to compete with Miami for the division title, I wouldn't see it as such an ***hole move. I guess the San Diego celebration adds to it as well.

Ah well, I've got my Seau chargers jersey from like 5th grade

Definitely. But you can't blame him. He was in the super bowl in 94, and got thumped by my niners. All he wants is to get his ring and go, and the patriots have proven they can win championships, so he jumped on board.

found a picture of him in Patriots Garb. He didn't play tonight but still dressed. Wearing McGinest's old number I might add. But hey he's a 12 time Pro Bowler...you gonna tell him no?

42656382-5070-4cf8-abbd-6bdd372f5bba.jpg

92334e57-96cc-4c6e-9f93-36da1d887b92.jpg

e322c05b-b5a1-4f19-9659-8b14f5885f9f.jpg

Photos from ESPN

Why all the hate? Oh, right, this is the CCSLC, where the haterade flows and the holier-than-thou set spouts their rhetoric in abundance!

Why should he not play the game he loves if someone gives him the oppurtunity? Why do guys retire in the first place? They suffer a career ending injury and/or no one wants them anymore. Well, Seau should be healthy now, and someone showed that they still wanted him. Who cares if he's washed up in the minds of some jaded, cynical haters? Bill Belichick doesn't think Seau's useless, and that's all that matters.

Play as long as someone still wants you, and as long as your health allows. He's had a long, successful career. I hope he enjoys his graduate work more than I did! :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

found a picture of him in Patriots Garb. He didn't play tonight but still dressed. Wearing McGinest's old number I might add. But hey he's a 12 time Pro Bowler...you gonna tell him no?

42656382-5070-4cf8-abbd-6bdd372f5bba.jpg

92334e57-96cc-4c6e-9f93-36da1d887b92.jpg

e322c05b-b5a1-4f19-9659-8b14f5885f9f.jpg

Photos from ESPN

The irony of Seau wearing McGinest's number is that Willie Mac wore #55 at USC and in the NFL in honor of Seau, who was also a fellow Trojan.

Talk about things coming full circle!

Archived