Traditional names

roadatlanta4

Gaborik is a Wild (What???)

Mr. X is a Magic (Can't think of anyone on the team)

Malone was a Jazz (makes NO sense!)

All teams must be pluralized.

-out

Wildman, Magician and Jazzman?

As I've said, "Jazzman" is in fact the correct usage, according to the team. Can't vouch for the other. Shaq suggested "Heatian" (rhymes with Haitian) for the Heat.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That being said, all singular names suck and should be outlawed.

I agree...listgen to these...

Bobby Hull was a Jet

Yzerman was a Red Wing

Iginla is a Flame

Kariya is a Predator

These sound good. The following...do not.

Gaborik is a Wild (What???)

Mr. X is a Magic (Can't think of anyone on the team)

Malone was a Jazz (makes NO sense!)

All teams must be pluralized.

-out

Steve Smith is a Panthers!

Terrell Owens is a Cowboys!

Alex Rodriguez is a Yankees!

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Heat and Jazz are both plural. They just don't end in an S.

201160034_f4c2ccdd98_o.png228795922_2c1d682c64_o.png

If "heat" an "jazz" are both plural, then what is the singular?

:blink:

"BTU" and "note"...

brotha of them rusted Lincolns, the Titans name comes from Nashville being known as the "Athens of the South," so that can be thrown into the local pile.

That's it...I knew there was some kind of Greek something about Nashville. just the clarification I needed...

(i shall now go and "get geeked"...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

"BTU" and "note"...

Now that I got that, I can't stop laughing. That's awesome!!!!

It's where I sit.

"BTU" and "note"...

glad I could make you laugh...

...now, once you recollect yourself, please tell me HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU PRONOUNCE WHERE YOU FROM? I'm not even going to try to twist my tongue up doing it...I think your town has set the record for most alternating O's in a name... :trophy:

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

They aren't plurals. They are singular nouns used to collectively describe a group of people. They are not the same as, say, nouns used to describe multiple animals, e.g. fish, deer, etc.

brotha of them rusted Lincolns, the Titans name comes from Nashville being known as the "Athens of the South," so that can be thrown into the local pile.

That's it...I knew there was some kind of Greek something about Nashville. just the clarification I needed...

As far as the Titans, we can't forget about the Parthenon in Nashville as well...we're called "The Athens of the South" not only for the music and culture and educational opportunities (i.e. Vandy), etc., but also because we actually have a life-size Parthenon in our city. I've been there a time or two, and it's quite neat. You gawk up at that huge Athena statue (where you're about the size of her little toe) and you get a feel for life as an ant.

As far as the Tampa Bay Lightning, an interesting note from Wikipedia is that "Tampa" was a Native American word for the area, believed by some to mean "sticks of fire" in the language of the Calusa tribe. That phrase could be talking about the concentration of lightning strikes in the area. As a result, I have a fictional baseball team in mind for one of my leagues....the Tampa Bay Thunder Sticks. :boogie:(Citation.)

Oh, and the Predators nickname and imagery relates from the fact that while digging to build a Nashville skyscraper, a preserved Sabretoothed Tiger and its den was found, a very rare discovery indeed. I cannot, however, find an excuse for those ridiculous "mustard" jerseys. Ack.

I agree that the singular-yet-plural team names are often quite annoying, but I probably tip a bit more to the non-traditional side than the old-fashioned one. Dodgers, Yankees, Colts, Cubs, Bears, Broncos, Braves, Rangers (to some extent), and Whalers I'm fond of, but I see no reason (in my humble opinion) why those are necessarily better than Titans, Preds, D-Backs, Rays/Devil Rays, Flames, T-wolves (with the old logo), Hornets (with the CHARLOTTE connection), and New Orleans (or Seattle, Memphis, or StL, for that matter) Jazz.

Of course, I think my all-time favorite team name I never actually got to see play...the minor league Nashville South Stars.

(And I also feel there are way too many teams bearing the monikers of unintimidating birds.)

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

"BTU" and "note"...

glad I could make you laugh...

...now, once you recollect yourself, please tell me HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU PRONOUNCE WHERE YOU FROM? I'm not even going to try to twist my tongue up doing it...I think your town has set the record for most alternating O's in a name... :trophy:

Simple. You sound it just like it's spelled. :P

Seriously, it's oh-CON-uh-muh-wok.

Very simple. Next week: Weyauwega.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Ooooh...k-k-kayyy then there pal...

...remind me never to enter into a Wisconsin Town Name Spelling Bee...

"Yeah--see if those smart-ass lil youngsters from Cribbs can spell those too!!!" :D

Ooooh...k-k-kayyy then there pal...

...remind me never to enter into a Wisconsin Town Name Spelling Bee...

"Yeah--see if those smart-ass lil youngsters from Cribbs can spell those too!!!" :D

heh, we got mostly indian-named towns...you got easy ones like Milwaukee and Waukesha, that anybody could say. then there's the crazy ones like Oconomowoc, which I figure would sound unnatural if said by somebody from the backwoods of Alabama..."Oke-O-No-Mo-Woke? what the hell kinda city name's that?" :hockeysmiley:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived