Improvements to CFL

Bleujayone

My question is, what went wrong with the CFL-USA project? were the cfl brass pissed when Baltimore won the Grey Cup? can someone explain what happened?

I think two words sum it up.

"Shreveport Pirates."

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically none of the teams barring the Stallions (aka the CFLers, aka the CFL Colts) couldnt get a solid following when the grey cup was here i met fans from baltimore that have been to every grey cup since the teams birth in Baltimore... they still follow the league and they still love the game...

I agree with the syphi the weather adds to the story of the cup game... hell i sat in -30 degree weather on my b-day in 2003 on a metal temporary seat to watch the Eskimos and the Alouettes go at it at a sold out taylor field... i couldnt feel my ass at the end of the game but the weeks of parties meeting players, coaches, and fans from all over north america was well worth it... hell ill never for get meeting very drunk danny mcmanus catching a pass from him at riderville then seeing him the next night at "flatout under the big top" still very drunk with darren flutie... and having my buddy call darren flutie the "lesser of the fluties" to his face... to which darren laughed and him and danny bought us beers...

you cant get an experience like that at a superbowl...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

My question is, what went wrong with the CFL-USA project? were the cfl brass pissed when Baltimore won the Grey Cup? can someone explain what happened?

The Baltimore Ravens!

The CFL Colts/Stallions left after their Grey Cup season because the NFL came back. I think they would have remained in the league if that didn't happen. The city was also announced as the host for the 85th Grey Cup in 1997. While most Canadians were probably upset with the dominance of the CFL Colts/Stallions in thier short history. I think the league was ecstatic with there success and only wished more US teams could have been more successful.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I think two words sum it up.

"Shreveport Pirates."

Another word--which explains the Pirates--Gliebermans.

There are fans of the Stallions who still follow the CFL and still make the trip up for the Grey Cup.

I think most of them are Alouette fans as the Stallions became the Als.

But I know some of them are CFL fans and don't cheer for any one team--just for a good game--which they get a lot.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The biggest problem with the U.S. experiment was that there were no Canadians on any of the teams that played in the States. There is a rule in the CFL that there has to be a certain number of Canadians on the field at a time. Which gave the U.S. teams an unfair advantage.

This U.S. experiment was just a money grab with no real thought if it would work or not. Because of this there is a black mark on the Grey Cup. IMO

Sorry Baltimore, you won because you had your own set of rules, not CFL rules.

The biggest problem with the U.S. experiment was that there were no Canadians on any of the teams that played in the States. There is a rule in the CFL that there has to be a certain number of Canadians on the field at a time. Which gave the U.S. teams an unfair advantage.

This U.S. experiment was just a money grab with no real thought if it would work or not. Because of this there is a black mark on the Grey Cup. IMO

Sorry Baltimore, you won because you had your own set of rules, not CFL rules.

We didn't make the rules. And using your logic all the American teams would have been a success. But only one was successful.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

The American experement faild because only one team was able to gather anough support. Outside of Baltimore the CFL's American teams were flops.

The only way to improve the CFL would be to expand to 10 teams. Ottawa is a no brainer, once they get a decent owner up there (but please for the love of G-d, don't call them the Rough Riders).

A tenth team could work in either Halifax or QC, all though I would like to see a team out in the Maritime provinces, they're the only region not represented in the leauge. So put a team in Halifax, and if they can't draw there, then move them to QC.

The American experement faild because only one team was able to gather anough support. Outside of Baltimore the CFL's American teams were flops.

I think the CFL failed in the US because most Americans view the CFL as an inferior product. The support in Baltimore was based on sticking it to the NFL when they said we didn't deserve an NFL team.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

P. J. O'Rourke

I think the CFL failed in the US because most Americans view the CFL as an inferior product. The support in Baltimore was based on sticking it to the NFL when they said we didn't deserve an NFL team.

If that were true there would no longer be a Baltimore contingent at the Grey Cup.

There was a good fan base that still follows the CFL even with the NFL there--not enough to make a go of it, but still enough to realize that the CFL is a good brand of football.

It's okay to like both.

The biggest reason the Stallions were so successful was they didn't try to play in the CFL using NFL strategies/philosophies.

They made an effort to learn and play the CFL game--all teams had people with CFL experience, but the Stallions put it together the best.

They had the winningest coach in CFL history and key CFL players.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I know it will never happen, but I wish the CFL would attempt the US thing again. I know everyone here is going to discourage it. But i'd like to see it. Put teams in markets with out NFL teams like the WHA did in the 70's. Becides that, I wish someone in the US would get a deal with the CFL, or atleast my local network again. :flagcanada:

I know it will never happen, but I wish the CFL would attempt the US thing again. I know everyone here is going to discourage it. But i'd like to see it. Put teams in markets with out NFL teams like the WHA did in the 70's. Becides that, I wish someone in the US would get a deal with the CFL, or atleast my local network again. :flagcanada:

You must not have FOX Sports Net or a Comcast Sports Net in your area. I get a few games every week on the dish on either Comcast or Fox.

Also didn't the NFL make a major financial investment in the CFL a few years ago. And a deal was made to keep the CFL out of the US and NFL out of Toronto.

As for a Baltimore contingent to the Grey Cup it is made of all the anti NFL types here that never got over the double F*****G the NFL gave to the city. I do know that the former owner Jim Sipiros(sp) burned many bridges here when he left. So there are not a lot of folks who miss him.

Remember the CFL isn't just competing with the NFL it is also competing with NCAA. That is two big nuts to crack.

My two suggestions to make the CFL a stronger league in Canada is to reduce the number of Americans on the team to 4. Two for offense and 2 for defense. And for each team to contribute 1% to a fund to strengthen youth football in Canada.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

P. J. O'Rourke

My two suggestions to make the CFL a stronger league in Canada is to reduce the number of Americans on the team to 4. Two for offense and 2 for defense. And for each team to contribute 1% to a fund to strengthen youth football in Canada.

You're serious? Your suggestion to fix the league is to water down the talent level?

IUe6Hvh.png

You're serious? Your suggestion to fix the league is to water down the talent level?

Oh so I guess the only way the CFL is to survive is by using more American NFL cast offs? Hell you might as well call it the NFL North with a few Canadians thrown in. You need to strengthen the league from within. That begins with strong youth to university programs. Not by using guys who just want to play in the NFL and feel the CFL is a good place to keep in shape. Strengthen the university programs give people some players to follow from Queens, Western, McGill, U of A and the rest and the CFL will strengthen. Or you can keep doing what you are doing...it is working so well.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

P. J. O'Rourke

If I'm watching a football game, I want to see the best players possible playing -- if that means they're NFL castoffs, then so be it. Granted, I never watch the CFL because it's very rarely on here (a show, maybe a game a week here on Altitude), but watering down the talent level of a league is never a good option, in my opinion.

IUe6Hvh.png

If I'm watching a football game, I want to see the best players possible playing -- if that means they're NFL castoffs, then so be it.  Granted, I never watch the CFL because it's very rarely on here (a show, maybe a game a week here on Altitude), but watering down the talent level of a league is never a good option, in my opinion.

So you assume that just because more Canadians are playing the talent level is being watered down? gueman is right. The leauge's image here in Canada (which is what they are aiming for) would be greatly improved if the leauge made an effort to recruit the best players from the Canadaian university football powerhouses like Western, McGill, UBC, U of A, and McMasters.

What does the CFL care if that means American fans like you don't watch? You rarley, if ever watch as it is.

If the CFL activly recruits the cream of the crop from the CIS powerhouses then they will start to build a reputation as a distinctly Canadian leauge, and not a leauge where NFL rejects go to play.

Yes, I do suggest that because there are less Americans playing that the talent level is being watered down because there's a reason those Americans are there anyway -- because they're the most talented players available. If they weren't, they wouldn't be making these CFL rosters to begin with. Teams aren't signing these guys to meet some sort of quota of how many Americans have to be on your roster. How, if you say "you can't sign this guy because you've already reached your maximum amount of American players" is it not watering down the talent if he's the best player available?

If you said you that every NHL team has to have five African-Americans on the roster, it would be doing the same exact thing.

IUe6Hvh.png

Yes, I do suggest that because there are less Americans playing that the talent level is being watered down because there's a reason those Americans are there anyway -- because they're the most talented players available. If they weren't, they wouldn't be making these CFL rosters to begin with. Teams aren't signing these guys to meet some sort of quota of how many Americans have to be on your roster. How, if you say "you can't sign this guy because you've already reached your maximum amount of American players" is it not watering down the talent if he's the best player available?

If you said you that every NHL team has to have five African-Americans on the roster, it would be doing the same exact thing.

No but if you wanted to make the NHL more appealing to African Americans you would try a grass roots campaign in the AA community and the historically black collages like Morgan, Fla. A&M, Howard ect.

Most leagues outside the US have some type of quota system to allow home grown talent a place to prosper.

You missed the point of the topic. It wasn't how to make the CFL like the NFL it was how to make the CFL better.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

P. J. O'Rourke

I know it will never happen, but I wish the CFL would attempt the US thing again. I know everyone here is going to discourage it. But i'd like to see it. Put teams in markets with out NFL teams like the WHA did in the 70's. Becides that, I wish someone in the US would get a deal with the CFL, or atleast my local network again.  :flagcanada:

You must not have FOX Sports Net or a Comcast Sports Net in your area. I get a few games every week on the dish on either Comcast or Fox

I have FSN, but I dont get CFL for some reason.

Yes, I do suggest that because there are less Americans playing that the talent level is being watered down because there's a reason those Americans are there anyway -- because they're the most talented players available.  If they weren't, they wouldn't be making these CFL rosters to begin with.  Teams aren't signing these guys to meet some sort of quota of how many Americans have to be on your roster.  How, if you say "you can't sign this guy because you've already reached your maximum amount of American players" is it not watering down the talent if he's the best player available?

No but if you wanted to make the NHL more appealing to African Americans you would try a grass roots campaign in the AA community and the historically black collages like Morgan, Fla. A&M, Howard ect.

Most leagues outside the US have some type of quota system to allow home grown talent a place to prosper.

You missed the point of the topic. It wasn't how to make the CFL like the NFL it was how to make the CFL better.

And as I said, it's never the better option to decrease the quality of play and the talent of the players.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived