XL Champions Patch

Pharos04

The past two years when the Patriots opened the new season at home on Thursday night they came out wearing a special commemorative patch acknowledging their victory in the previous Super Bowl. Here's an example of the SB XXXIX Champions Patch:

Patriotspatch_275.jpg

i'm looking for an example of the SB XXXVIII one but it is very similar in design. Was wondering if the Steelers will also be wearing a patch to commemorate their championship and if anyone had a shot of what it will look like

The Steelers are selling a jersey with a patch but I don't know if that means they will wear one since Dan Rooney has said he does not want to do anything over the top to celebrate the Super Bowl during the upcoming season, but I have a feeling the NFL may make them wear it because they want to sell more jerseys and teams have worn them the past few seasons for the first game.

http://news.steelers.com/catalog/product/68351/

According to ltp74's link, it's on the opposite side.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

why did they not wear the patch? was it just a marketing gimmick to sell more jerseys?

I think they would have sold more if they had worn it. I'm sure its a marketing gimmick, i believe every team would do it if given the chance. but i'm glad the team felt it unneccessary to wear them.

I'm glad they didn't wear it, because I think it's TACKY for a team to wear a super bowl patch the year AFTER they win. It's not the same team anymore, almost moreso in the NFL than in any other sport, because of the salary cap and free agency.

That being said, I feel bad for anyone who got duped in to buying the jersey with the patch on it. They now have a jersey that was never worn.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Eh. Most teams don't wear patches to commemorate championships anyway. I know the White Sox are wearing one on their home jersey this year. And the Marlins did in 2004 I think. I can't think of any other instances, though I'm sure there are a few.

So no big deal that the Steelers aren't wearing one. Though it sucks that a jersey was marketed with one.

Eh. Most teams don't wear patches to commemorate championships anyway. I know the White Sox are wearing one on their home jersey this year. And the Marlins did in 2004 I think. I can't think of any other instances, though I'm sure there are a few.

So no big deal that the Steelers aren't wearing one. Though it sucks that a jersey was marketed with one.

Red Sox did in 2005: 1113256326_3362.jpg

White Sox did this year: 0405rowand1.jpg

Patriots did also in 2004: SB38CDillonFramed.jpg

and 2005: sp_raiders_patri23.jpg

Doesn't bother me that teams do that. I think it's great that they acknowledge the previous championship with a special ceremony and they get to showcase being champions during the regular season. I think it would be tacky to do it the entire year, but opening night at home is a special night and they should do that. So long as it's not as obvious as these guys:

nl_1906_newyork.gif

didnt the Red Sox just wear those Worlds Champions jerseys and patches just on opening day. am i correct but didnt those opening day red sox jerseys have numbers in gold?

yeah, they had a small gold outline around the numbers and Red Sox in the front. it was miniscule and hard to see from further than 3 feet but didn't look half bad up close. the patch really made it though

Archived