Dumb Question about MLB Commercial

D123

I'm wondering where LaSorda meets up with the Cleveland Indians fans and a guy is wearing a Cincinnati Reds cap. Aren't they in-state rivals? Is that a mess up?

The "in-state rivals" is a common misnomer. In football Cleveland and Cinci are certainly...or were... certainly rivals, but not so much in baseball. I am a third generation Indians fan (pops from the West side) and I have no ill-will towards the Reds. Cleveland and Cincinnati are a long ways away. Since I grew up in NW Ohio I have more disdain for the Tigers than the Reds... although I am rooting for the Tigers right now.

It's not like Cubs-White Sox at all. I remember attending a game at Comisky Park during the Tribe's good years in the 90s and the Indians were beating up on the White Sox. I was in my Tribe gear and an angry just kept cheering when the scoreboard would update the Reds score as they were winning trying to make me feel bad or something. . . . Which was ironic because the guy I was with was cheering for the Indians but was more so a Reds fan.

fade.gif

Here's my question: why are like 95% of these spots during the games? We're already watching, so why do you need to win us over, Tom?

Thats one of my questions....the other is, when he's looking at the guy in the tree w/ a Cubs hat and jersey on, he goes on to ask:

"What's his team"

The Cubs

"Ooh..."

When we all knew from the first shot he's a Cub fan....

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I'm wondering where LaSorda meets up with the Cleveland Indians fans and a guy is wearing a Cincinnati Reds cap. Aren't they in-state rivals? Is that a mess up?

Kind of a related question, is this a regional commercial or a nation wide commercial. I live in Northeast Ohio and just figured it was a regional promotion and every other city with thier team eliminated from postseason play had their own local version of it too. Is everyone nationwide getting this commercial too, with Tommy Lasorta further tormenting Cleveland fans? Just wanted to know.

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

Kind of a related question, is this a regional commercial or a nation wide commercial. I live in Northeast Ohio and just figured it was a regional promotion and every other city with thier team eliminated from postseason play had their own local version of it too. Is everyone nationwide getting this commercial too, with Tommy Lasorta further tormenting Cleveland fans? Just wanted to know.

Those are national spots I think. I live near Gettysburg PA and I get TV from Baltimore, Harrisburg and DC and haven't seen the O's,Nat's, Phil's, or Buc's on any of the spots just the Indians and the Cubs.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

i am not sure being that NC doesnt have its own teams. i have seen here that they show, the Boston one and Indians one. but i havent watched any of the games for this playoff being an Indian fan.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

i haven't seen a rangers one...

my biggest complaint is that they make DAMN certain, at all times, to avoid saying the word "playoffs"...

what's up with that? postseason just sounds weird when you use it as often as religiously as they do in that commercial.

i haven't seen a rangers one...

my biggest complaint is that they make DAMN certain, at all times, to avoid saying the word "playoffs"...

what's up with that? postseason just sounds weird when you use it as often as religiously as they do in that commercial.

I think MLB reserves the term "playoff(s)" for those one game (and in the old days in the NL best of three games) tie-breakers at the end of the season. If I'm right, then MLB's playoff games are actually regualr season games, and not part of the postseason, which is odd.

Im glad Im not the only one that noticed that. Yes indeed you are correct. That IS a reds hat and it realu bugged me to see it in the commercial.

Im glad Im not the only one that noticed that. Yes indeed you are correct. That IS a reds hat and it realu bugged me to see it in the commercial.

NO!

My goodness, read the thread.

The second I saw the commercial I go...oh old Indians hat. Too bad most people are gonna be clueless and assume it's a Reds hat and be confused.

Well, it's not as if they're idiots, because it is a black (or navy?) hat with a red wishbone C and a red bill, which the Reds have worn a hell of a lot more recently than the Indians have.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived