Favorite Artists?

Shumway

Since this is partially a design forum, and many of us are aspiring or professional artists, I thought it'd be interesting to see who we all admire in the art world.

As for me, I like a lot of modern art...it's not that I dislike classic work, but modern art is much more interesting for me. Most of my favorites are from movements of similar time periods. A select few of my favorites(It'd take a while to list all of them):

- Paul Klee...probably my favorite.

- Salvador Dali

- Ernst Ludwig Kirchner

- Henri Toulouse-Lautrec

- Marcel Duchamp...although some may argue that some of his work ("Fountain" "LHOOQ" etc.) isn't exactly art...I love it. Thanks to eRay for pointing out my mistake.

- Max Pechstein

Much of my personal artwork could probably give credit to Christopher Hart, a cartoonist. I have most of his books and basically learned to draw better by reading them.

Obviously, as an aspiring graphic designer, Glaser, Rand, and Bass are up there as well. Hell, there are probably guys on this board who rank up there in my book.

-Peter Behrens

-Tibor Kalman

-El Lissitzky

-Ed Kienholz-not a graphic designer, but I'm still amazed by his work.

-and of course Glaser, Rand, and Bass...

when you say George Braque, do you mean Marcal Duchamp? because Duchamp made Fountain and LHOOQ to the best of my knowledge. Both are works of art, and are amazing IMO.

i'm a big Matisse fan, particularly his later works that had a Picasso-like feel to it.

matisse115.JPG

i've always loved Van Gogh. i used to go to the Detroit Institute of Arts on a regular basis just to sit and soak in the Van Gogh wing.

Mark Rothko's use of color in his abstract works has always been amazing to me.

44.jpg

Diego Rivera's murals should blow away anyone that looks at them. This is the one i'm most familiar with, "Detroit Industry"

33.10.N.jpg

north wall

33.10.S.jpg

south wall

-Peter Behrens

-Tibor Kalman

-El Lissitzky

-Ed Kienholz-not a graphic designer, but I'm still amazed by his work.

-and of course Glaser, Rand, and Bass...

when you say George Braque, do you mean Marcal Duchamp? because Duchamp made Fountain and LHOOQ to the best of my knowledge. Both are works of art, and are amazing IMO.

Yeah, I do....I always get the names mixed up for some reason.

I think it's because I confuse their cubist works such as this:

IN512Braque.jpg

with this:

duchamp.jpg

^ I've always loved Duchamp's works, the first time I saw "Woman Descending a Staircase" i was really tripped out by it, I spent a whole university semester doing works like his.

My two favorites are Dali and Group of Seven Member Lauren Harris. I absolutly love Harris' landscapes, the vibrate colours and the soft, dreamy landscapes, they really put me at ease.

Dali is just a crazy bastard, he fulfills me need for things to not have to make a lot of sence when you first look at them.

i agree, banksy is the shiz.

coop, robt. williams are great too.

big fan of daniel clowes, chris ware, charles burns, alex ross, paul pope, mike allred, frank miller, john romita, jr. and many other comix artists, as well.

pope_100_extract.jpg

pope

ware.gif

ware

012502-clowes.jpg

clowes

MadmanComics01.gif

allred (this image is actually tattooed in my left upper arm)

alex-ross-avengers-4-lithograph.jpg

ross

Fumetto2DK2.jpg

miller

lasermat01s.jpg

romita, jr.

burns_cover1.jpg

burns

some of the ones mentioned, some that haven't:

Frank Shepard Fairey (OBEY!)

Lamicus (still paying attention?)

El Greco (look it up, you'll be pleased)

Frank Lloyd Wright (architect but still art)

Vargas (Pin ups)

I've got more but I'm terrible at art history. I should be so much better but the names always escape me except the big ones. I love going to the art museum here in chicago, just I was never good at remembering names.

Lamicus (still paying attention?)

Post-mortem glory is great.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

It's cool seeing Kirchner, Benton and Bansky mentioned. I love Clowes work, more of his eightball for his combination of a satirical eye and sharp humor than the meandering melancholy stories of late.

I love Jack Levine -

levine-Fetes_galantes.jpg

And am a big fan of Soutine:

chaim_soutine_village.jpg

Along with Hockney:

2006-10-11T213419Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONP_2_India-271871-1-pic0.jpg

and like Balthus as well.

balthus_poster_R.jpg

Archived