Hibachi!

DG_ThenNowForever

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2006120127

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Leave it to Gilbert Arenas to come up with yet another way to stand out from the crowd: Before launching a shot these days, he'll make a reference to a small cooking stove usually heated by charcoal.

That's right: Arenas yells, "Hibachi!" then lets the ball fly. After letting his teammates get going Friday night, Arenas started shouting and shooting, and he wound up with 33 points and 10 assists to lead the Washington Wizards past the Charlotte Bobcats 121-109.

"He says it every time he shoots. Everybody hears it -- whenever Gilbert talks, everybody hears," said Caron Butler, who added 24 points for Washington. "He really was screaming it this morning in the shootaround, so 'hibachi' it is. He's on fire, so 'hibachi."'

Antawn Jamison added 22 points and, for the first game this season, every Wizards starter scored in double figures. They improved to 6-2 at home; they're 0-7 on the road.

"Everybody was sharing the ball and everyone was making shots. We feel good about ourselves," said Arenas, who compiled six assists before he made a field goal. "That's how we look when we're good."

He tends to be good, particularly at home, where he's averaging 33 points -- compared to 18.7 on the road. Arenas also has a way of distinguishing himself, from his number (zero), to throwing a jersey into the crowd after games, to playing online poker at halftime, to having the air in his house thinned so it always feels above sea level.

So it shouldn't be all that surprising that he's come up with a new form of trash talking.

"You know, a hibachi grill gets real hot. That's what my shot's like, so I've been calling it that: 'Welcome to the hibachi,"' Arenas said.

Isn't Arenas the best thing since, I don't know, Mark Fidrych?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Ha, I used to do the same thing...except on defense.

The refs (remember, this is church league ball) used to get on me because I'd yell things like "BANANAS!!!" or "GERBILS!!!" when people tried to shoot. Sometimes it seemed to work, sometimes it didn't. I'd also talk to guys to get them to lose their focus, while on offense and defense..."How's the wife and kids?"..."How about that stock market"..."How 'bout them Dodgers?" and "Do you like Pearl Jam?" were some of my favorites that I recall.

Some of my friends picked it up as well...so a team running around in orange jerseys, orange knee-high socks, yelling "GERBILS!" and asking about stock portfolios was probably a little bizarre. :D

Oh yeah, and you can't forget the countdown of "7...6...5..." when the clock is really on "3...2...1" as quarters ended so the buzzer would go off while the other player still had the ball...man, I miss church ball.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2006120127

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Leave it to Gilbert Arenas to come up with yet another way to stand out from the crowd: Before launching a shot these days, he'll make a reference to a small cooking stove usually heated by charcoal.

That's right: Arenas yells, "Hibachi!" then lets the ball fly. After letting his teammates get going Friday night, Arenas started shouting and shooting, and he wound up with 33 points and 10 assists to lead the Washington Wizards past the Charlotte Bobcats 121-109.

"He says it every time he shoots. Everybody hears it -- whenever Gilbert talks, everybody hears," said Caron Butler, who added 24 points for Washington. "He really was screaming it this morning in the shootaround, so 'hibachi' it is. He's on fire, so 'hibachi."'

Antawn Jamison added 22 points and, for the first game this season, every Wizards starter scored in double figures. They improved to 6-2 at home; they're 0-7 on the road.

"Everybody was sharing the ball and everyone was making shots. We feel good about ourselves," said Arenas, who compiled six assists before he made a field goal. "That's how we look when we're good."

He tends to be good, particularly at home, where he's averaging 33 points -- compared to 18.7 on the road. Arenas also has a way of distinguishing himself, from his number (zero), to throwing a jersey into the crowd after games, to playing online poker at halftime, to having the air in his house thinned so it always feels above sea level.

So it shouldn't be all that surprising that he's come up with a new form of trash talking.

"You know, a hibachi grill gets real hot. That's what my shot's like, so I've been calling it that: 'Welcome to the hibachi,"' Arenas said.

Isn't Arenas the best thing since, I don't know, Mark Fidrych?

Agreed. Anybody who has the sense of mind to complain about the new look in order to go back to the new colors is okay in my book. I think it's funny.

Archived