Ravens uniform history

Titanole

I was browsing through Ebay and came across some of those NFL football uniform history plaques from Maple Leaf Productions. I looked at the one for the Ravens and noticed something odd. Here is the plaque.

PAAAIAFNHAKNCIDG.jpg

Nowhere on there is the helmet with the winged shield logo on it from 1996-98. I can't read the years on the picture as it is too small. Either they use the current helmet for 1996-98 or ignore those years altogether. I seem to remember some sort of lawsuit regarding the old logo (which I think is much better than that bird head thing). Could this be why the plaque has it wrong? It is kind of disappointing that they cannot accurately represent the teams history because of that.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

I was browsing through Ebay and came across some of those NFL football uniform history plaques from Maple Leaf Productions. I looked at the one for the Ravens and noticed something odd. Here is the plaque.

PAAAIAFNHAKNCIDG.jpg

Nowhere on there is the helmet with the winged shield logo on it from 1996-98. I can't read the years on the picture as it is too small. Either they use the current helmet for 1996-98 or ignore those years altogether. I seem to remember some sort of lawsuit regarding the old logo (which I think is much better than that bird head thing). Could this be why the plaque has it wrong? It is kind of disappointing that they cannot accurately represent the teams history because of that.

It only shows the current set. It is missing the '96 set and the 2000 set. I didn't feel like doing the photo research but trust me.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I'm pretty sure the lawsuit is exactly why the plaque doesn't include the "winged shield" logo (which I never really liked, though it is still better than the current bird head).

Overall, it looks like they do ignore 1996-98 altogether, because they don't show the purple/black and white/black combos. I also don't see the 1996 jersey, with much larger, serifed, non-shadowed numbers. I don't think there is any reason why they couldn't show those uniforms, so I'm not sure why they were left out.

EDIT -- The 2000 set? I'm pretty sure the 2000 uniforms are the same as the current set, except for the striped socks back then (but the socks aren't shown anyway). Am I missing a difference somewhere?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

It only shows the current set. It is missing the '96 set and the 2000 set. I didn't feel like doing the photo research but trust me.

That's pretty lame, and I'm about 100% sure it has to do with Maple Leaf not wanting to pay royalties to the guy who designed the original helmet.

Here's a funny thought: what if the Ravens wore their black pants from 1996 and played the Steelers last night? Their pants would have been IDENTICAL to the pants that the referees wore! :D

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I've got Style Guide sheets/graphics for all of the Ravens' various uniforms - sans the very first season. I'm actually not sure that the NFL actually produced official uniform graphics that first season - just helmet graphics. I think. I don't know.

One of these days, I'll try to scan the sets where I only have physical sheets and - combined with the digital files - I'll put together a uniform history...

I'm pretty sure the lawsuit is exactly why the plaque doesn't include the "winged shield" logo (which I never really liked, though it is still better than the current bird head).

Overall, it looks like they do ignore 1996-98 altogether, because they don't show the purple/black and white/black combos. I also don't see the 1996 jersey, with much larger, serifed, non-shadowed numbers. I don't think there is any reason why they couldn't show those uniforms, so I'm not sure why they were left out.

EDIT -- The 2000 set? I'm pretty sure the 2000 uniforms are the same as the current set, except for the striped socks back then (but the socks aren't shown anyway). Am I missing a difference somewhere?

They are. I'll try to recall this. I BELIEVE (could be wrong) that the jerseys, not to be confused with the entire uniform, and helmets were the same from 1996-98. In 1999, they changed the number font to the current ones. They still had the sleeve logo from 1996-98 on the 1999 jerseys. Also, I'm not sure about this, but if they did have a wordmark underneath the collar on the front of the jersey, it was the same as the one used from '96-98. So in 1999, as far as helmets and jerseys go, the only difference was that the helmet logo and number font changed (did the name font slightly alter too?) In 2000, they switched to the current jerseys, with the shield logo on the sleeves, replacing the bird. I'm definitely not sure about the Ravens' pants or socks in their history, but I am pretty sure that the information I just supplied about the jerseys and helmets is accurate.

-E.A.R.

I've got a 2000 Ravens' sheet.

Yes, the the uniforms are pretty much identical to the currents - save some Pantone changes - some of the Solid Colors were tweaked, most of the Textiles were changes, and some of the Process Simulation Colors were also changed.

The socks that are displayed in the sheet are the same as current.

They are. I'll try to recall this. I BELIEVE (could be wrong) that the jerseys, not to be confused with the entire uniform, and helmets were the same from 1996-98. In 1999, they changed the number font to the current ones. They still had the sleeve logo from 1996-98 on the 1999 jerseys. Also, I'm not sure about this, but if they did have a wordmark underneath the collar on the front of the jersey, it was the same as the one used from '96-98. So in 1999, as far as helmets and jerseys go, the only difference was that the helmet logo and number font changed (did the name font slightly alter too?) In 2000, they switched to the current jerseys, with the shield logo on the sleeves, replacing the bird. I'm definitely not sure about the Ravens' pants or socks in their history, but I am pretty sure that the information I just supplied about the jerseys and helmets is accurate.

-E.A.R.

You're slightly off, but not much.

The large number font (see BaltimoreFan's post) was only used in 1996. The current one has been used since then.

I believe you are correct above the sleeve patch. The front view bird was used even after the number font was changed. I know the current patch was added no later than 2000 because they wore that jersey in SB XXXV, but I'm not sure if they were added before that season. The jersey has been unchanged since then, to the best of my recollection.

The original wordmark under the collar was a winged version of the word Ravens. I don't remember when they added the current wordmark, but that was also before 2000.

I've got a 2000 Ravens' sheet.

Yes, the the uniforms are pretty much identical to the currents - save some Pantone changes - some of the Solid Colors were tweaked, most of the Textiles were changes, and some of the Process Simulation Colors were also changed.

The socks that are displayed in the sheet are the same as current.

When you say "same as current", do you mean solid black or striped? Either way, they are not the same. They wore the striped socks in 2000. They switched to black ones midseason a few years back (I believe it was 2004, but I'm not positive).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Dear Ravens,

Please get rid of the stupid 'B' Bird Head Logo. It is awful.

Thank You

Sincerely,

Everyone on Earth

Sorry, don't agree. I think the B-bird is completely fine. Still, i'd rather have that stylized B on the helmet and the bird head on the shoulders. Just my two cents.

Sorry, don't agree. I think the B-bird is completely fine. Still, i'd rather have that stylized B on the helmet and the bird head on the shoulders. Just my two cents.

The only thing I can come up with is that the 'B' doesn't work nearly as nicely on the bird head when reversed for the left side of the helmet:

_1134549_dilfer300.jpg

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

The original wordmark under the collar was a winged version of the word Ravens. I don't remember when they added the current wordmark, but that was also before 2000.

When you say "same as current", do you mean solid black or striped? Either way, they are not the same. They wore the striped socks in 2000. They switched to black ones midseason a few years back (I believe it was 2004, but I'm not positive).

The wordmark was changed to the current version between the 1999 and 2000 seasons.

Socks - both the 2000 and current sheets have two socks styles listed - the Black-Purple-Black striped pair, and the Black-White-Black pair. Don't know what they've actually been wearing however...you know how it is - just because it's in the Style Guide doesn't mean it's infallible.

Overall I'm fine with Baltimore's logo and uniforms. I would take the "B" off the head completely and make the head black, with maybe purple highlights. Then that brings up the next question, if you put the head on the helmet, what color do you make the helmet? I've wondered that for some time now.

Archived