Penguins Get Arena Deal Done

Ez Street

There's a difference between a team that won a Cup in 1915 or whenever and 1992.

There is even a difference between winnig it in 1992 and winning it in 2007. Point is, things change. Good or bad, they do. Teams that were around when Pittsburgh last got its name on the cup have won it elsewhere.

Just because you won it, doesn't mean you are untouchable.

Just ask Super Bowl V Champions, the Baltimore Colts. 4 NFL Championships and a Super Bowl didn't stop "the Mayflowers" in 1984.

Same with the Browns.

I'm not trying to change anyones opinion. Relocation sucks. But for me, being a guy who calls KC his second home, I would love the Pens to move there. I feel bad for their fans. But in the long run, their rage should be directed towards thier elected officals. Instead of trashing on a prefectly good city like KC and its fans.

I read on a Penguins blog, why I don't know, that the team might be moving to that "GAY" city of KC. You are so pissed you come out with that kinda 4th grade insult of a city? I truly hope that is no indication of the intelligence of the Pittsbugh faithful. Because if they would have addressed their long know problem, they would have to worry about that "Homo City" taking thier team.

Sorry, this crap iritates me. I understand the outrage and frustrated nature of it all. But to s**t on another town is just lame. S**t on your politicians you elected.

Done.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a difference between a team that won a Cup in 1915 or whenever and 1992.

There is even a difference between winnig it in 1992 and winning it in 2007. Point is, things change. Good or bad, they do. Teams that were around when Pittsburgh last got its name on the cup have won it elsewhere.

Just ask Super Bowl V Champions, the Baltimore Colts. 4 NFL Championships and a Super Bowl didn't stop "the Mayflowers" in 1984.

Same with the Browns.

I'm not trying to change anyones opinion. Relocation sucks. But for me, being a guy who calls KC his second home, I would love the Pens to move there. I feel bad for their fans. But in the long run, their rage should be directed towards thier elected officals. Instead of trashing on a prefectly good city like KC and its fans.

I read on a Penguins blog, why I don't know, that the team might be moving to that "GAY" city of KC. You are so pissed you come out with that kinda 4th grade insult of a city? I truly hope that is no indication of the intelligence of the Pittsbugh faithful. Because if they would have addressed their long know problem, they would have to worry about that "Homo City" taking thier team.

Sorry, this crap iritates me. I understand the outrage and frustrated nature of it all. But to s**t on another town is just lame. S**t on your politicians you elected.

Done.

Im perfectly okay with that. As long as you KC'ers {or people in general} dont keep trashing our city. If youve been to the Pens message board lately youll see many KC'ers have been constantly trashing our city in alot of threads.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

The truth is, the Pens are not as beloved as everyone thinks because they are leaving. The prefect point was made with the colts and browns reference. When the White Sox threatened relocation, someone ponied up and payed. Obviously no one is ponying up. Though luck but you gotta pay to stay.

Same with the Browns.

Done.

Im perfectly okay with that. As long as you KC'ers {or people in general} dont keep trashing our city. If youve been to the Pens message board lately youll see many KC'ers have been constantly trashing our city in alot of threads.

What do you expect? You call a town "gay" you have to expect some retaliation.

Same with the Browns.

Done.

That wasnt me. I apologize for any immaturity any fellow Pittsburgher may have expressed towards KC. Its idiots like them who give this city a bad reputation in the first place.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

If it were the Flyers in dire need of an arena, Ed Redell would make sure that they had a new arena...... I blame the state for this not KC or any other city, nor can u blame Mario. He's done everything he could to keep this team here. I will follow the Pens if they do indeed move, but as I said in an early reply I hope they go to Canada. There isnt enough Canadian teams.....

Now that we have the one for the thumb, the other hand looks lonely........GO STEELERS

Same with the Browns.

Done.

That wasnt me. I apologize for any immaturity any fellow Pittsburgher may have expressed towards KC. Its idiots like them who give this city a bad reputation in the first place.

Well the frustration and anger is understandable. Losing a team sucks. Sadly it does happen. Still, like it was said time and time again, blame the elected officials.

If it were the Flyers in dire need of an arena, Ed Redell would make sure that they had a new arena...... I blame the state for this not KC or any other city, nor can u blame Mario. He's done everything he could to keep this team here. I will follow the Pens if they do indeed move, but as I said in an early reply I hope they go to Canada. There isnt enough Canadian teams.....

Wrong. When the Flyers were in need of an arena, WITH Rendell as Mayor, Ed Snider was forced to pay for it all by himself. I forget if the city gave him the land, but I'm pretty sure it was 100% privately funded.

Rendell is far from a perfect gov. (as much as I'm excited about the new skyscrapers in Phila., using KOZ for some of them was just wrong IMO), but he's not to blame for this one. Pittsburgh's economy has been in the crapper for a while, long before Rendell got involved. Philadelphia has major advantages that Pittsburgh just doesn't have, including being in the financial corridor between Washington, NY, and Boston. More people, more money, more jobs, more "things." That's just how these things work.

Look, I'm pulling for Pittsburgh as much as anyone, but when I hear my Pittsburgh friends blaming Harrisburg for this, it angers me. Pittsburgh was going downhill as a city while Erie's Ridge was in charge.

Edit: and for the record, I also disagree with Rendell being one of the hosts of the Eagles' post-game show. I have no problem with an elected official having an allegiance (if it was a Pittsburgh gov., Steeler fans would be upset if he claimed neutrality) but it sends a bad message about priorities.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Got this tidabit from a local (Topekan)...

"I was in St. Louis this past Saturday for the Blues/Sabres game and after talking with a few of the Sabres players, the word in Buffalo, at least amongst the players, is that this is a done deal. They asked me what I thought about KC getting the Pens. I told them I thought we had about a 50/50 shot at getting them and they kinda looked at each other, smiled and said..."I'd put it more like 100% shot, this deals done."

So we'll have to see, but like I said, the players are a heck of a lot closer to this thing than us and they all seem to think its a done deal.

Time will tell."

Well, I am unaware how one from Topeka has a "paas" to meet and talk to Sabres players. Perhaps some family tie. Anyways, I cannot rely on this quote, but it certainly seems a bit believable.

It is indeed true.....only time will tell.

I just want to clear the air incase someone mistakes my posts.

1. I wish the situation wasn't what it is turning out to be. The Pittsburgh fans deserve better.

2. I can understand any dislike about the team moving to what some will call (rightfully so) an unproven market.

3. I do find myself rooting for them to move to KC. Does this make me bad. No. I live here and want a team.

4. If there were another way, it would be great.

5. I do want to see Sid, Gino, Staal, and Fleury in a KC uniform. Hell, who wouldn't!

6. Hockey was given no chance to succeed in KC in the 70's.

7. There ARE Hockey fans around here.

8. This could be another Colorado Avalanche situation.

9. The potential rivalries are mouth watering.

10. I would have to give up my Avalanche fan status.

Again, I simpithize with the 'Burg. But I'm sure most of you (though you may not admit it), would feel the same in this situation.

We want a team. Appearantly there are some who will do anything to get one. But it's not done yet.

I think its disgraceful that teams can get up and move as soon as another city dangles a dollar in front of them. What happens to the fans? The ones that kept the club going for so many years, they are the ones that go along to the teams matches even when they are struggling, in times of financial hardship the fans are the ones that help out. I really don't like teams moving around. But in the USA it seems to me, the clubs are not clubs, they are franchises like KFC. The owners are in it, not for the good of the sport, but for the good of their own bank accounts. The KFC as I'll call franchised teams in sports, get up and move as soon as a better deal comes along. I don't mind selling a home game or 2 interstate if it means the club can stay around years longer. If I were Pittsburgh KFC, I would stay in Pittsburgh. It's just not right to leave a city for money. What happens in years to come when another city comes along with more money, then another team, and another team. They'll have no supporters cos no one will keep faith in them. It's similar to this road i was on the other day, it changed street names about 7 or 8 times in close succession, im sure many get confused. Many will get confused on who the Penguins KFC are actually representing when they move. And move. And move and move and move. Where are they from? No one knows.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

You've never seen Blazing Saddles, have you?

Well perhaps it's been too long since I've seen it. Is there a reference there?

I'm guessing that particular movie is a favorite of yours.

Wrong. When the Flyers were in need of an arena, WITH Rendell as Mayor, Ed Snider was forced to pay for it all by himself. I forget if the city gave him the land, but I'm pretty sure it was 100% privately funded.

Rendell is far from a perfect gov. (as much as I'm excited about the new skyscrapers in Phila., using KOZ for some of them was just wrong IMO), but he's not to blame for this one. Pittsburgh's economy has been in the crapper for a while, long before Rendell got involved. Philadelphia has major advantages that Pittsburgh just doesn't have, including being in the financial corridor between Washington, NY, and Boston. More people, more money, more jobs, more "things." That's just how these things work.

Look, I'm pulling for Pittsburgh as much as anyone, but when I hear my Pittsburgh friends blaming Harrisburg for this, it angers me. Pittsburgh was going downhill as a city while Erie's Ridge was in charge.

Edit: and for the record, I also disagree with Rendell being one of the hosts of the Eagles' post-game show. I have no problem with an elected official having an allegiance (if it was a Pittsburgh gov., Steeler fans would be upset if he claimed neutrality) but it sends a bad message about priorities.

Rendell should get alot of the blame he hand picked the commission that picked the slot license, they had no one with Western PA ties it was all Rendell cronies, besides the arena the Isle of Capri was going to invest around $800 million in a part of the city that is in dire need of it, the North Side is doing fine with the Stadium's, offices, the Science Center and Warhol Museum. The Commission put the needs of Rendell(Barden is the only minority to get a license) and his main man in Western PA, Onorato gets a useless tunnel under the river that will make them all richer.

I think its disgraceful that teams can get up and move as soon as another city dangles a dollar in front of them. What happens to the fans? The ones that kept the club going for so many years, they are the ones that go along to the teams matches even when they are struggling, in times of financial hardship the fans are the ones that help out. I really don't like teams moving around. But in the USA it seems to me, the clubs are not clubs, they are franchises like KFC. The owners are in it, not for the good of the sport, but for the good of their own bank accounts. The KFC as I'll call franchised teams in sports, get up and move as soon as a better deal comes along. I don't mind selling a home game or 2 interstate if it means the club can stay around years longer. If I were Pittsburgh KFC, I would stay in Pittsburgh. It's just not right to leave a city for money. What happens in years to come when another city comes along with more money, then another team, and another team. They'll have no supporters cos no one will keep faith in them. It's similar to this road i was on the other day, it changed street names about 7 or 8 times in close succession, im sure many get confused. Many will get confused on who the Penguins KFC are actually representing when they move. And move. And move and move and move. Where are they from? No one knows.

Yes, because someone who buys a team has no right to expect a return on that investment. If times take a turn for the worse, or if they don't get the support they need, they should just accept the losses until it bankrupts them. I couldn't disagree more with the viewpoint expressed in this post. I also hate it when teams move, but I think it is more wrong to handcuff someone to a losing situation.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

OK, let's settle some things here

(1) No city is dangling money to entice the Penguins to move. The purported move to Kansas City is hinging on an owner buying the team, then moving them.

(2) North American teams (FMF Football, south of the border included) are operated on the franchise system. They have been this way since sports were professionalised in the 1870s.

(3) Owners don't just move their franchises when someone dangles an extra dollar in front of them. If you look at the franchise moves from say 1980-present, virtually all moves (save the NFL moves) have the following in common: (a) the franchise was in a position to move or else financial solvency would possibly become a factor in operations (See: Winnipeg Jets, potential move by New Jersey Devils to Nashville in 1995) (B) the franchise's arena situation was up in the air (See: Pittsburgh Penguins, Atlanta Flames)

(4) The Penguins have been more than patient with the city of Pittsburgh. Considering the fact that it took Mario Lemieux to save the franchise from financial insolvency, this was just the latest in a series of problems the Penguins. After all, we were discussing the same thing about the same team in the early 1980s. Before Lemieux was drafted, there were talks of the team either moving or going under.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

The truth is, the Pens are not as beloved as everyone thinks because they are leaving. The prefect point was made with the colts and browns reference. When the White Sox threatened relocation, someone ponied up and payed. Obviously no one is ponying up. Though luck but you gotta pay to stay.

No one ponied up - Reinsdorf bullied his way into getting Comiskey II done at taxpayer expense - AFTER he had lined up Florida as the "suitor".

Well perhaps it's been too long since I've seen it. Is there a reference there?

I'm guessing that particular movie is a favorite of yours.

Opening scene of the movie, where the cowboys are dancing and singing the "Camp Town Ladies" song, and their boss rides up and says: "What in the wide, wide world of sports is-a goin' on here? How about gettin' a little track laid down today, and not dance around like a bunch of Kansas City :censored:s!"....

At least, that's my first thought when I read that...

Archived