Penguins Get Arena Deal Done

Ez Street

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For people doubting Pittsburgh as a hockey market, they are #1 in local tv ratings for US teams yes higher than so-called Hockeytown and last night for the Pens-Blues game on Vs. the Pittsburgh rating was 3.7 while the St. Louis was 0.06, the team went bankrupt twice because the NHL let moron's and crooks buy the team and run it into the ground.

i take it that you're a Savran on Sportsbeat viewer as well. B)

Savran's a loser!!!

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

Are there any teams whose direct affiliate (AAA or AHL) has a nickname of another team in the parent team's league?

No. The closest a parent team comes to that situation is the fact that the Pittsburgh Pirates' Triple-A affiliate - the Indianapolis Indians - shares a nickname with the Cleveland Indians of Major League Baseball. However, Pittsburgh is a National League franchise and Cleveland is an American League club.

I think Bettman could care less where the team goes. Anything he has said was just to get an arena built in Pittsburgh.

It's just funny how many things can point to KC getting a team by the time the Spirnt Center opens next october.

They already have an owner, DelBiaggio.

AEG has BIG NHL ties.

All the suites are sold out at the Sprint Center.

Pittsburgh might be given the Cleveland Browns treatment. Team goes to KC but Pittsburgh keeps the name, colors, records.

I will not believe anything till I see it.

EJ Hradek was on NHL Live this morning when the news broke, and went a little apoplectic when someone couldn't understand how such a "slam dunk" went awry. After all, according to EJ, the only people saying it was a "slam dunk" were the more gullible members of the Pittsburgh media. After he got that out of his system, he discussed the options for the Penguins, and basically said that there were three options (in order of probability): Kansas City, Winnipeg, and Hamilton. He also made mention of Houston and Portland, but he discounted them because of the viability of the market according to research he had gone over. As for the Pens staying in Pittsburgh, he said that he'll take them seriously when the Plan B has some sort of connection to reality. :)

Yale: They could get the name "KC Scouts" again, and perhaps go more for the "horse soldier" motif. Of course, I would prefer the original logo/jersey/colours, but then again, when do I get what I want? ;)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I dont see what Bettman's problem with Kansas City. Pittsburgh show they do not want the Pengiuns it will be in a new start in a city with a new state of the art arena where you are the only professional team there. Carolina was successful...Pengiuns can be to in Kansas City

After he got that out of his system, he discussed the options for the Penguins, and basically said that there were three options (in order of probability): Kansas City, Winnipeg, and Hamilton. He also made mention of Houston and Portland, but he discounted them because of the viability of the market according to research he had gone over.

I think potential ownership is what pushes KC to the front.

Kansas City: William "Boots" DelBiaggio (Signed a deal with AEG & Sprint Center if he buys a team to play there.)

Winnipeg: None

Hamilton: Jim Balsillie (Backed out at the last minute)

Houston: Les Alexander (Houston Rockets onwer)

Portland: None

Kansas City Scouts would be fine by me.

Don Barden's group who got the license has claimed they would kick in money each year for 30 years to help fund an arena but the city and Pens would also have to help pay and neither of them want to pay for an arena the city needs badly. The Pens are gone unless Gary Bettman tries to have the NHL take over the team until a new arena can be built or Houston or Seattle come calling for the team, he does not want them in KC, Las Vegas, Hartford or Hamilton.

What is Bettman's beef with KC?????? Houston already has a fairly new arena (Toyota Center) which already can support a rink, since the AHL's Aeros play there. Seattle would be a no-go right now since their arena bites for the hockey seating setup, and no new arena is planned. KC would be a smart option because there isn't much competition there (Chiefs are home 8 times a year, the Royals don't begin until April).

KC is the best option with a brand new arena and not as much competition as Houston and Seattle.

Seriously... if St. Louis and Milwaukee can support 3 teams, why can't KC?

It would just suck to see the Pens leave Pittsburgh.

brew.png

A Kansas City - St. Louis rivalry would be cool. Though the Blues might not be around long enough to enjoy it. :P

It'll be a shame to see the Pens move though. But sometimes you just can't help this stuff. I think the government is most to blame. Building baseball and football stadiums yet completely ignoring hockey? It's like they want the Pens to leave.

If Detroit does move to the east, how will Chicago like the idea of possibly playing a grand total of one game against an Original Six team (if the schedule format doesn't change) in the course of a season?

Moving Nashville to the Southeast, Washington to the Atlantic, and Kansas City to the Central makes the most sense.

Yes that would be the best idea, Washington is a natural fit with the NE Corridor Teams, and Preds can get a nice rivalry with Hurricanes and the Thrashers.

And the Wings Hawks rivalry has to remain

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

more things to chew on....

Omaha Lancers Owners:

Luc Robitaille

William "Boots" Delbiaggio

Mario Lemeiux

Why throw in Luc Robitaille?

AEG (company that will manage the Sprint Center)

Press release.....

Luc Robitaille, who retired last April as the highest scoring left wing in National Hockey League history, has been named Sr. Consultant, AEG Sports in addition to Assistant to the Governor and Alternate Governor to the Los Angeles Kings it was announced by Timothy J. Leiweke, President & CEO AEG and Governor of the Kings franchise.

Robitaille will serve a variety of roles with both AEG the Kings primarily focusing on the Kings business operations and player/community relations areas, as well as the continued development of both the Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, CA, and the new Sprint Center in Kansas City, MO, which is scheduled to open in the Fall of 2007.

"Ontario is a vibrant market and Luc will not only assist in our efforts to bring a professional hockey team to the arena, but also work to ingrain the franchise into the community," said Leiweke. "As it is becoming more probable that Kansas City will get a hockey team in the very near future, Luc, who has some of the strongest relationships in the sports business industry, will play a significant role in our efforts to acquire a pro franchise for Sprint Center."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The only thing I could see that the NHL wouldn't like is...

Crosby, Malkin not playing in New York more. The East Coast would have those possible draws.

So, KC and Columbus swap divisions?

No, I'd rather see this happening:

the Pens move to the Central, Detroit to the Northeast (to rival with Toronto), and Boston to the Atlantic (to rival with Rangers and Philly).

The only thing I could see that the NHL wouldn't like is...

Crosby, Malkin not playing in New York more. The East Coast would have those possible draws.

So, KC and Columbus swap divisions?

No, I'd rather see this happening:

the Pens move to the Central, Detroit to the Northeast (to rival with Toronto), and Boston to the Atlantic (to rival with Rangers and Philly).

you take Boston out of the Adams division? What about there arch rival the Montreal Canadiens? you can kiss off the old-fashioned rivalry goodbye

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

I dont see what Bettman's problem with Kansas City. Pittsburgh show they do not want the Pengiuns it will be in a new start in a city with a new state of the art arena where you are the only professional team there. Carolina was successful...Pengiuns can be to in Kansas City

We WANT the PENS! $$$$ is holding us back via politics. That's like saying that Cleveland didn't want the Browns. It's not like there's 5000 people in the stands like in the early 70s. This junk arena is packed...and seats aren't cheap.

KISSwall09.jpg

After he got that out of his system, he discussed the options for the Penguins, and basically said that there were three options (in order of probability): Kansas City, Winnipeg, and Hamilton. He also made mention of Houston and Portland, but he discounted them because of the viability of the market according to research he had gone over.

I think potential ownership is what pushes KC to the front.

Kansas City: William "Boots" DelBiaggio (Signed a deal with AEG & Sprint Center if he buys a team to play there.)

Winnipeg: None

Hamilton: Jim Balsillie (Backed out at the last minute)

Houston: Les Alexander (Houston Rockets onwer)

Portland: None

Kansas City Scouts would be fine by me.

Winnipeg does have a potential ownership group. A group of investors led by Manitoba Moose owner Mark Chipman have already declared their interest.

Archived