Nets' Move to Brooklyn is pretty much official

MadmanLA

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-n...p&type=lgns

(first three paragraphs)

NY board approves big Brooklyn redevelopment plan

By MICHAEL GORMLEY, Associated Press Writer

December 20, 2006

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- Clearing the way for major pro sports to return to Brooklyn for the first time since the Dodgers left in 1957, New Jersey Nets owner Bruce Ratner's $4 billion redevelopment project was approved Wednesday.

The project that could reshape Brooklyn with the basketball arena, office towers and thousands of apartments was approved after months of maneuvering among New York state's top political leaders. If the project proceeds as planned, the Nets would play their first season in Brooklyn in 2009-10.

The state Public Authorities Control Board voted unanimously to authorize the Atlantic Yards development, a sprawling reuse of an area near downtown Brooklyn railyard that would include a new home for the Nets. The state would pay $100 million and New York City would pay $100 million toward the project designed by renowned architect Frank Gehry.

Maybe Ratner could buy the Islanders from Charles Wang and move them to Brooklyn too.

I live in New York and haven't heard much about the renovation of Nassau Coliseum... To me the Islanders should consider moving in with the Nets. Nassau Coliseum wont be able to compete with the Garden, New Newark Arena and New Brooklyn Arena. People Long Island have no prroblem traveling into the city.

Maybe Ratner could buy the Islanders from Charles Wang and move them to Brooklyn too.

I don't think Wang would sell the Islanders, they are pretty mcuh his personal toy. I also don't think the NHL would want the Islanders actually in the city. That puts the 3 teams in even closer proximity to each other.

That said I don't know how the Nassau renovations are going. I heard they may have been stalled. That place is already a dump and will be worse off once The Prudential Center (Newark), Brooklyn, and the new MSG open. That would leave the Islanders as the only sports team i the area without a new venue. I read an article the other day that there is already a rush to get buy the suites at these new arenas/stadiums and that the earlier one opens the bigger advantage they have.

I wouldn't mid that one bit, revive the old New York Americans name, and let Long Isladn keep the name, but I'd rather see the New Jersey Devils go their!

untitled-6.jpg

I wouldn't mid that one bit, revive the old New York Americans name, and let Long Isladn keep the name, but I'd rather see the New Jersey Devils go their!

Their what?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

have you ever been to the Nassau Coliseum? its not falling apart. Its not to the point were its going to collapse..Its not a safety issue..Its not going to be condemned. What make sense is building what Charles Wang wants to do..make the Coliseum into a crossroad for all Long Islanders. And let me say furthermore that yes, Brooklyn is attached on the Western End of Long Island but its not Nassau county. Its not Suffolk County its apart of NYC. Ratner can keep his grubby paws off my team.

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

I wonder how many events will pass over the Nassau Coliseum now that the Brooklyn Arena will be built. Events like Ringling Bros. Circus, Concerts, Wrestling and more. Nassau Coliseum will be the unattractive ugly duckling of the 4 arenas (MSG, Brooklyn, and Newark).

have you ever been to the Nassau Coliseum? its not falling apart. Its not to the point were its going to collapse..Its not a safety issue..Its not going to be condemned. What make sense is building what Charles Wang wants to do..make the Coliseum into a crossroad for all Long Islanders. And let me say furthermore that yes, Brooklyn is attached on the Western End of Long Island but its not Nassau county. Its not Suffolk County its apart of NYC. Ratner can keep his grubby paws off my team.

No, I've never actually been there. But you're the first Isles fan I've heard say that it wasn't falling apart.

Besides, if it's not falling apart, then it might be the only arena from that era which isn't. Pretty much all arenas/stadiums built in the 70's were built to fall apart after 30 years so the owners of the tennants could bitch about needing new ones.

I wonder how many events will pass over the Nassau Coliseum now that the Brooklyn Arena will be built. Events like Ringling Bros. Circus, Concerts, Wrestling and more. Nassau Coliseum will be the unattractive ugly duckling of the 4 arenas (MSG, Brooklyn, and Newark).

You forgot about Continental Airlines... from that I hear, that place is GRIM-EY...

brew.png

Any talk about the Islanders moving into the Brooklyn arena if it's ever built. It'd make sense since Brooklyn is still Long Island and the Nassau Coliseum is falling apart.

While yes, the borough of Brooklyn is on Long Island, "Long Island" as a region refers to Nassau and Suffolk Counties, which is where I think most Isle fans are, whereas Brooklyn is more likely Rangers territory. It wouldn't be practical to have them play all the way over there when they uniquely represent a very specific area like Long Island. Modern equivalent to the Brooklyn Dodgers, oddly enough. Everyone else represents either New York City or North Jersey, but the Islanders have Nassau/Suffolk to themselves.

No, I've never actually been there. But you're the first Isles fan I've heard say that it wasn't falling apart.

Besides, if it's not falling apart, then it might be the only arena from that era which isn't. Pretty much all arenas/stadiums built in the 70's were built to fall apart after 30 years so the owners of the tennants could bitch about needing new ones.

You forgot about Continental Airlines... from that I hear, that place is GRIM-EY...

I didnt add Continental Airlines Arena because i thought they are tearing it down once the Nets move out. You cant even see the arena no more on the New Jersey Turnpike no more because they are building the Xaundu Entertainment Center and the lettering on the side of the arena falling off...it look like it says (Con in ntal irlineas A ena) or somthing like that

I didnt add Continental Airlines Arena because i thought they are tearing it down once the Nets move out. You cant even see the arena no more on the New Jersey Turnpike no more because they are building the Xaundu Entertainment Center and the lettering on the side of the arena falling off...it look like it says (Con in ntal irlineas A ena) or somthing like that

It's unknown what is going to happen to CAA. The NJSEA president wants to keep it open while the Devils obviously are trying to lobby the governer to close down the building and transfer the Nets lease to Newark.

But yea Continental Arena is a :censored:-hole. It's always been a bitch to get to but apparently it's even worse now with Xaundu. I went to a game last year while visiting friends of mine and you pretty much have to drive through a construction site to park.

The problem with the Coliseum is the concourse is not wide enough to have 16,000 + people walking through, your rubbing alot of shoulders with people. The problem is there isnt enough luxury boxes to accomodate corporate sponsors. The Nassau Coliseum has the best sight lines to watch a Hockey game from the cheap seats you dont miss anything. I'll say it again, the government of Nassau County should let Charles Wang and Reckson give the Coliseum the facelift it needs and Wang should buy out SMGs contract to run the arena.

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

Archived